GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I went for a little 150 mile jaunt yesterday. As is customary for all Wingers we stopped for lunch. As I was leaving the restaurant an older gentleman stopped me and asked if that was my wing. I told him yes and he told me he had to sell his Pearl Orange Wing just last year, said he just got too old to hold it up. I asked him why he didn't have it triked and he said that his wife wouldn't ride with him and he just didn't see the point. You could sure see in his eyes and by the tone of his voice how much he missed his Wing and riding. Just got me thinking. I know quite a few of you ride alone, but those of you that ride two-up most of he time, would you continue riding without her? I don't mean the quick rides to work or town but the cross-country rides for a week or more. I personally would probably get rid of the Wing and just stick to my C90T for my riding. Just wouldn't be fun for me by myself. I guess I'm very fortunate in that my wife of 29 years loves riding AT LEAST as much as I do. A match made in heaven!!

·
Registered
643 Posts
I would not sell the wing, but I know I would miss not having her along.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That's a loaded question!;)

I haven't been able to do a cross-country excursion yet...solo OR two-up. Slowly but surely she is coming to realize that she would be comfortable doing such a jaunt. Unfortunately, we both work and cannot afford the time off to do such a thing. So....for now, my solo cross-country treks are limited to the distance from Jacksonville to Athens, GA, where my mom lives. I made two trips up there on the Nomad and plan on making several on the GW.
I guess it all boils down to, I take what I can get, and as long as I behave and don't get ran off the road, I'll have momma's permission for short trips.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Wife rides her own bike and I really enjoy our rides together but also enjoy the times I am out just by myself. Plan to keep riding as long as I can get my leg over the seat

·
Registered
952 Posts
We have known each other for for 45 years. Married for 39 years. She first rode on the back of my Honda Sport 50 back in 1964. We so enjoy long trips on the trike, I'm not at all sure I would continue to tour by myself. I, most likely, would get a smaller bike or, maybe, a triked 750 or something just to mess with.

Just not sure...............:?:

-Dan

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
My wife doesn't ride ..oh well , my son hops on in a second. ;)

I'm not selling nothing !

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
If my wife said she didn't want to ride anymore, I would not sell the bike, maybe I would sell the trike, but I would stay involved in motorcycles....old age might get me to quit :eek:4:
I have the "me" bike that the wife has no desire to ride...and I have friends at work, that together, we take one or two trips a year...just the guys, and I think the wives like us to go away once and a while...gives them a break....:lol:

I would find something else to replace the motorcycle in "our" life, maybe a convertible she would like...:thumbup:

She would not request or "make" me sell the bike. Sure I would miss her company on the bike...but I've been riding since 14 and have know my wife since 7Th grade...so she knows motorcycles are a big part of me...and she accepts and encourages that.

And no, you can't have her...:p

·
Registered
280 Posts
We bought the Wing so we could ride together, it's our recreation toy. If my wife decided she didn't want to ride any more I would definately sell the wing and get something smaller. Something for day rides.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
<...>Just got me thinking. I know quite a few of you ride alone, but those of you that ride two-up most of he time, would you continue riding without her? I don't mean the quick rides to work or town but the cross-country rides for a week or more. <...> I guess I'm very fortunate in that my wife of 29 years loves riding AT LEAST as much as I do. A match made in heaven!!
Y'know, interesting point...since getting the Wing, the only solo runs I've done were day-rides around the area. Soon after getting the bike, my wife left on a week trip back east. A weekend, a new bike, and over 500 miles ridden in two days, I did have a good time alone. I'm also fortunate in that my wife must have come out of the same mold as yours in loving riding. Still working on improving comfort, but that comes with experience and reading posts from others here and elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The thing i enjoy the most with my wife with me is the conversation, and the joy of sharing the experience with someone else. If i am by myself i catch myself wanting to point something out. I would ride by myself but it would be less enjoyable. Rode 7k miles last year, maybe 200 by myself.

·
Crazy Northerner
8,621 Posts
It all depends. If the wife decided to not ride anymore, but didn't mind if I continued all would be well. I hate to think of what could happen if she didn't want me to ride anymore either. Just getting to old to hunt and train a new wife.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Wife rides her own bike and I really enjoy our rides together but also enjoy the times I am out just by myself. Plan to keep riding as long as I can get my leg over the seat
+1 :thumbup:

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
I think it is what you get used to. I started out riding solo, as my wife did not want to contend with the risk, danger and heat/wind. She has her interest in painting and art, and I have mine in riding and alot of outdoors stuff. I like having the wing to myself, but never seem to have enough room, so I bought a trailer. Love the extra room and love the freedom to stop when I want, ride when and where I want, and carry what I want. To me, that is the very comfortable. My wife and I enjoy so many things together, but riding the bike is not one she has an interest in. She is happy, I am happy, and my wing is happy!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, had I started out riding two up, it would be an adjustment to go solo. It would probably feel like being naked on the bike. Riding two up, you probably develop a co-dependency on each other. Breaking that co-dependency could be tough, even in riding.

JMHO...

·
Registered
626 Posts
If my wife said she wasn't going to ride with me any more all I can think of to say is I'm going to miss her! I ride for my own well beening, I love sharing it with her but if she dosen't want to share that with me---oh well-- I'm going to miss her. But I'm still going to ride cause I need to ride for myself!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I just bought the bike so WE could do more long distance riding. If, for some reason she couldn't ride with me then honestly, I have no reason to keep it.

If, OTOH, something were to happen where she was no longer in my life (a thought I simply can't imagine) then perhaps I would keep it and do the rides in her memory.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I got my 1st moped when I was 12 and used it on my paper route. Then a 305 Dream, 305 Scrambler, 750 K2, a 650, 8 years of dirt biking with the kids, an 86 SEi, 2000 SE, 2005 Yellow. As much as I love my wife, I sure do ENJOY my riding. My wife is just not into riding, but does "allow" me to ride any time, any where, and any length (usually 2 4-day trips a year) that I want. She realizes my pure passion for riding and actually encourages me to ride whenever I want to. Just for safety reasons, she does want me to ride with other folks, but I'll ride by myself just to go riding. As much as I would like to have her ride with me, she just doesn't enjoy the helmet hair, road grime, sun burnt face, etc. You've heard the saying; "When momma ain't happy ....". She allows me to be as happy as I want.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I had a Suzuki C50 that I accessorized for better comfort and we rode together all over the region. I sold the Suz and bought the Wing so we could ride much farther together. Now she is having joint problems and it is difficult for her to get on and off the bike, as well as sit on for hours, so she isn't riding anymore.

With her full endorsement, I have several rides planned this year, including one to DC and back to visit our daughter. My wife is flying back there for that visit, but it would be much more enjoyable if she were able to ride along.

I would not have gotten the Wing if I foresaw that she wasn't going to be riding, but now that I have the Wing, I certainly won't go back. It's just too much fun

1 - 20 of 46 Posts