GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Gold Wing Tour - Hawkseye Blue
52 Posts
Thank you all for your positive comments.
Thanks for letting everyone know your primary reason. I'm only a few months into my 2019 GW Tour experience and I will say there appear to be some very loyal GWer's out there and when some folks point out a dislike on the bike rather than accept it some get defensive - as if they designed the bike themselves. I had a post 2-3 weeks ago about my feelings on how the bike handled crosswinds - quite frankly - crummy in my opinion. Lots of defensive comments ("this is the best bike to handle crosswinds I've ever owned..") and many "tips" as if I just started riding ("put your knee out of the downwind side and problem solved..."). Hey, the bike's not perfect - it's really good and not to start an argument but, my 2008 ultra classic was nowhere near as quick nor anywhere near as good of a handler but it was a lot more comfortable cruiser - to me. The factory stereo was twice as good and the wind protection far superior. Maybe I'll keep this - maybe I won't but I'll give it time but I'll also keep my eye on cycle trader for another good deal. Good luck with whatever you end up with!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I for one am in your corner and agree the Honda dropped the ball as far as storage on the new wing and have tried to find a compromise with the 2021. I love everything about the new generation except the storage and the Boss(wife) agrees.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Hey, this is America jack! Ride what you want. Loved my FJR1300 and it was my main bike until I had to put her down basically totaling her. Now all I have is my 2003 Wing. Just keep on riding!

Reactions: Motor Guy

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
I appreciate your reluctance to talk about storage. Who wants to deal with storage shaolins patiently explaining how a true motorcyclist can fit everything he needs inside the head of a bumblebee? I hope you stick around. Like a lot of us here, I am a motorcyclist who owns a Goldwing. We're interested in what other motorcyclists have to say, regardless of what they happen to be riding at a given moment.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I don’t have the figures of the difference between the 2001-2010, 2012-2017, or the 2018+ luggage capacity. Just wondering if Motor Guy was aware of any solutions such as the Corbin extended side bag covers and top box cover? And how much difference that would make?
I lust after the new Goldwings. My wife doesn’t travel with me so storage capacity isn’t my biggest worry. Getting my youngest daughter through college and paying off our mortgage are my biggest priorities. After that, I could see myself on a 2018+ Wing.
When it comes down to it, the most important thing isn’t what you ride...it’s that you are out enjoying the ride. Buy what you need to get to that point.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Personally, I think the lack of storage is a valid reason. When you buy a bike you often don't bring all of the stuff that you would take on a road trip and jam it in to see if it will fit. You only find this out much later and often too late.
All my stuff fits into my 2010 but I'm positive it wont in the 2018's and up. Having a trailer makes it possible for my wife to bring stuff too.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Thank you all for your positive comments.
I really hope you find THE bike that fits your needs. And "needs" change over time. That's why I have bought and sold many bikes. Actually, my needs have changed due to a few reasons that I don't feel comfortable talking about right now. I'm looking too.

Your reason for changing is very sound. If the bike can't do what you want it to do FOR YOU, then there is absolutely no reason that YOU should have to change to fit the BIKE! And personally, I don't think Bike Companies do enough to make their bikes fit more people. OK, I get it about seats...that's almost impossible to do for everyone. But that's about all.

A new buyer should be able to have handlebars fit their reach with an adjustment mechanism on the bike. Same for the windshield(thanks Honda...FINALLY! ). Same for foot peg positions. Same for airflow routing for comfort. And same for bike protection, which is also PERSONAL protection( your legs) in the event of a tip-over. Maybe one day buyers will be able to have the dealer put the handlebars and seats and pegs at the right place for the new buyer...you know, at "set-up", like some dealers still charge to do.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I get where the OP is coming from, whatever the reasons. Been there and done that with some of my bikes in the past. Sometimes, the search is half of the fun.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Be sure to keep us up to date on what bike you buy next !
Yes, what he said 👆. I use a trailer behind my 05’, but see an RT (BMW) and drool every time. No, I couldn’t take what I take now. But I am surprised at how much those Beemer rider’s can carry. They look so effortless running down the road. That would be one of the first things I bought after hitting the lottery. Hope you find something yet this riding season to enjoy. Happy hunting!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Wish you the best of luck and report back when you find your new ride. Maybe report in and take us along on the hunt we will be interested in you take on different bikes.👍
That's a great idea! But it might put too much "administrative work" on Motor Guy, having to take so many pictures and post them too. But HEY, sometimes ya just hafta man-up and do it for the GIPPER!

·
Registered
284 Posts
It might be a lot of work but I am sure he's up to it and I can go along from the comfort of my lazyboy.😊

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I fully understand about the storage. You might look at both the BMW RT and K1600. They are both good bikes. Best of luck with your search.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I own one, a 2020 RTL dark, it is a dream to ride. There may be a downside, we shall see. One thing is, it is not as easy to maintain as my 2005 GW. Also, not any indepedents I have found to work on the things, like Greg, so you're sort of stuck wit the dealers. I'm getting too long in the tooth to work on them, but it can be done with patience and a learning experience.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts