GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Please do stay with us . Differing opinions/thoughts are helpful in expanding our knowledge and understanding.
I hope all the prodding to get you to say what the problem was doesn't turn you against the larger group here and cause you to leave. .
Search on and enjoy the wind with your next set of wheels.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
The front bars are available as parts. The rears require the Authority bags and they are small. Our RTPs have them and one is taken up with our equipment and the other has raingear and not much else. You could look at Wunderlich for rear bars.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
JUst curious, being a Motorman, could you get a Police R1250RT with those protection bars that are put on the Police models?
For a variety of reasons I would not recommend the RTP for civilian use. As far as the protection bars on those bikes they serve several purposes: protection of the bike and the mounting of police gear like sirens and LIDAR/Laser mounts. iride4u is spot on with regard to the rear bags and guards of the RTP's. Those bags are a love/hate thing. There are much cleaner looking accessories (front and rear) available for civilian bikes. I do have my eye open for a nice low mileage 1200 or 1250RT though.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Honda has attacked the issue with the new 2021 with the bigger trunk. But it still doesn't hold a candle to the previous 1800, but especially to the 1500 regarding storage. (Yes, I travel with my wife on it 90% of the time.). I've spent countless ridiculous hours tearing this bike apart installing all the Honda and other farkles, and then once again to change the damn %^Y&(%^&. air filter. I just got back from a trip to Baja with the wife on it, and have already been all over the NW on it. I think Honda engineers don't give a da__ about maintenance convenience. More shop revenue I guess. Seriously, why couldn't the air filter just slide out of a slot on the side of the bike after removing minimal plastic like my former Kawasaki Concours?

I don't plan on going anywhere exotic on this bike again. I hit a pothole in Baja and thank God the bead still held after a bent (alloy %^&*&^) rim, although now I'm out just under a grand for a new rim and tire. (No, I'm not going the hammer, torch, and weld route...). How is anyone going to take off a wheel on the side of the road on this bike to get a un-pluggable tire replaced?! The rear wheel a big maybe, the front wheel no way.

I've owned Wings since 1984. (And I've been riding since 1971.). 1100, 1500, 1800, the 1800+, and a Valkyrie, and I was in love with all of them except the 1800+. I wish I could put my finger on it, but despite all the technology (when it works- %^&(&^%&*&^. Apple Car Play, and the joke of a Siri interface), and the improved handling etc, etc., there's just something about this bike that doesn't excite me/pull my trigger/light my fire like all my previous Wings.

I'm a retired Air Force and Airline pilot, so I'm very comfortable with technology, so that's not the issue. I just can't put my finger on it, but there's something completely soul less about this bike. And not just the pathetic storage and ridiculous helmet lock, etc. Honda is trying to attract, (according to their promos) a Gen X/"multiculti" buyer, but I think their marketing dept. fell flat on their face. Yes Sport mode is cool, but not nearly as dramatic compared to the previous 1800 as Honda would have us think, and the handling is better than the previous 1800, but again not dramatically so IMHO despite all the hype. (For the record, I've race-tracked bikes and cars for many years.)

I may upgrade to the 2021 for the bigger trunk, better passenger accommodations, and other minor stuff like stock fog lights, stronger stereo amplifier, smoothed out DCT, blah, blah; but only because of the wife and our long trips. (I'm 66 and she's 71.).

But for some existential reason that I just can't put my finger on, I'm not jumping up and down about this machine. It just doesn't blow my skirt up. The only thing is the options are a joke re: Harley, Indian, BMW, and Yamaha.

This bike is the best of all the worst options. Standing by for incoming........

Reactions: JW.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Wingcon, well said without fear of the 'flame', big salute for how you feel. I'm in your camp, if and when I buy another GW, it will be years 2016 to 2017 for sure. Jus my opinion, we all have one.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
For a variety of reasons I would not recommend the RTP for civilian use. As far as the protection bars on those bikes they serve several purposes: protection of the bike and the mounting of police gear like sirens and LIDAR/Laser mounts. iride4u is spot on with regard to the rear bags and guards of the RTP's. Those bags are a love/hate thing. There are much cleaner looking accessories (front and rear) available for civilian bikes. I do have my eye open for a nice low mileage 1200 or 1250RT though.
Thanks to YOU and iride4u for the info on bags and guards on the RTPs. I didn't realize those facts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Folks, the bike performed exactly as intended from Honda. If you own one of these model years and it does everything you need it to do that’s a good thing. They’re great motorcycles.
If I were reading this thread I too would be curious about the reason so I understand. It’s a matter for me to deal with and I made a decision. When I started this thread I simply made a statement and asked a question, never intending to get into all this. Honestly, I feel like I should stick-to-my-guns here and keep quiet. You know what they say about having the right to remain silent but not the ability…
After reading your comments I assure you it’s not as dramatic as all that: clutch, black, Harley, beer, something different, vibrations, etc. So here it is and we can end this. I need a bike that will do a number of things. One of those things is adequate storage. The following is a quote from me from a different thread several days ago. “Having just refurbished my flame suit I feel somewhat brave. Since no one else will say it I will. Luggage space is the one thing “I” would change. I’ve done a bit of touring and never once, even two-up, have I had to pack a bag on my back seat/luggage rack or tow a trailer – until now. Flame away…”. Fortunately, there were no flames but I had seen the controversy before on this very topic.
This is something I should have figured out before purchasing and I place no blame on the bike for that. However, “for me, personally” I have no intention of drilling holes to put a rack on my Wing, towing a trailer or packing a bag on the seat. For those of you that can make it work as-is or are comfortable with making the necessary adjustments I say good for you. It is unfortunate for me that this issue only came to light recently while preparing for a trip. Once I weighed my options I made the decision to move-on. Simple as that, a personal decision that I made based on my needs and wants.
Oldbikerbill figured it out!
Regards,
I respect your perspective about the luggage capacity or lack there of. Just curios about your thoughts on the Corbin saddlebag and trunk expansion kits?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I respect your perspective about the luggage capacity or lack there of. Just curios about your thoughts on the Corbin saddlebag and trunk expansion kits?
I'd get the Corbin saddlebag lids if they also made bigger tip-over bars to go with them. Too much of a risk for a parking lot oops otherwise.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I was aware of them but don't recall ever actually seeing them on a bike in person. Regardless, I wasn't interested in spending the extra money to make it work. That may be a viable option for others though.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yes, what he said 👆. I use a trailer behind my 05’, but see an RT (BMW) and drool every time. No, I couldn’t take what I take now. But I am surprised at how much those Beemer rider’s can carry. They look so effortless running down the road. That would be one of the first things I bought after hitting the lottery. Hope you find something yet this riding season to enjoy. Happy hunting!!!!!!!
Don't fall in love with the grass that appears greener on the other side. I sold my 2011 BMW R1200 RT for a 2015 (40th Anniversary Edition) Goldwing, and could not be happier. The Beemer was a PITA for maintenance (I did my own for years), and parts were outrageously expensive -- IF you could even find them. Dealer network is a joke here in Florida. Find a reputable one, and how about that new clutch? A cool $3,500.00 PLUS all the scare repairs they advise. Stop drooling. I was a died in the wool BMW guy since the 1970's. No more. Oh, I almost forgot. Unless you are over 6 foot tall, you will NOT be able to stand on both your feet at a light or stop sign.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I love my 2007 RT. My first one '07 had 192,000 miles on it when I sold it to a friend. Original clutch until 188,000 miles. I changed it at home for less than $500 in parts. It is so well balanced and suspended it makes my 2006 Wing feel like a dump truck, a plush dumper but still the RT rides circles around my Wing. If I could get my wife on the RT she would like the ride and air management better but to her the Wing is the only way to ride and as long as she wants to ride with me I'll keep it. I'm 5' 6" 29" inseam. Flat footing is highly overrated.

I do all my own work on the RT and as a former Honda dealer parts manager I can't agree the BMW's parts are that much more. I recently posted prices here that a Wing's rear brake rotor was 50% more than a BMWs. The thing is with a Honda you can pretty much do nothing but change the oil and probably do OK for a long long time. They thrive on neglect. If one can't or won't do their own maintenance then a BMW does require a good dealer.

·
Registered
770 Posts
RedWing, all true on the RT. I loved riding the thing, but at 5'7", I had to be prepared for the tip toe stop, be prepared for the mount and dismount, two up riding, dangerous for the 'not' tall person. Dealers, a real PIA, be prepared to waste most of the day just wandering around. But, as I mentioned, I did love to ride it, so light weight and flickable. Sort of a 'love/hate' relationship I suppose.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Don't fall in love with the grass that appears greener on the other side. I sold my 2011 BMW R1200 RT for a 2015 (40th Anniversary Edition) Goldwing, and could not be happier. The Beemer was a PITA for maintenance (I did my own for years), and parts were outrageously expensive -- IF you could even find them. Dealer network is a joke here in Florida. Find a reputable one, and how about that new clutch? A cool $3,500.00 PLUS all the scare repairs they advise. Stop drooling. I was a died in the wool BMW guy since the 1970's. No more. Oh, I almost forgot. Unless you are over 6 foot tall, you will NOT be able to stand on both your feet at a light or stop sign.
LOL, you are right about the 6 foot tall part. A buddy has, well had, me do his service work all the time on his K1200LT and it was also a tall bike. He is now on the K1600 and I most likely will be doing the service work on it too. :sneaky:, still drooling. Oh, it would be a stable mate to a wing, along side the PC/gl650i/cx650/gl1500/tractor/atv/etc😬.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was aware of them but don't recall ever actually seeing them on a bike in person. Regardless, I wasn't interested in spending the extra money to make it work. That may be a viable option for others though.
Understand about not spending more. One of my mentors has them on his bike. Look very good and do add capacity. Good luck on your search

·
Registered
151 Posts
Folks, the bike performed exactly as intended from Honda. If you own one of these model years and it does everything you need it to do that’s a good thing. They’re great motorcycles.
If I were reading this thread I too would be curious about the reason so I understand. It’s a matter for me to deal with and I made a decision. When I started this thread I simply made a statement and asked a question, never intending to get into all this. Honestly, I feel like I should stick-to-my-guns here and keep quiet. You know what they say about having the right to remain silent but not the ability…
After reading your comments I assure you it’s not as dramatic as all that: clutch, black, Harley, beer, something different, vibrations, etc. So here it is and we can end this. I need a bike that will do a number of things. One of those things is adequate storage. The following is a quote from me from a different thread several days ago. “Having just refurbished my flame suit I feel somewhat brave. Since no one else will say it I will. Luggage space is the one thing “I” would change. I’ve done a bit of touring and never once, even two-up, have I had to pack a bag on my back seat/luggage rack or tow a trailer – until now. Flame away…”. Fortunately, there were no flames but I had seen the controversy before on this very topic.
This is something I should have figured out before purchasing and I place no blame on the bike for that. However, “for me, personally” I have no intention of drilling holes to put a rack on my Wing, towing a trailer or packing a bag on the seat. For those of you that can make it work as-is or are comfortable with making the necessary adjustments I say good for you. It is unfortunate for me that this issue only came to light recently while preparing for a trip. Once I weighed my options I made the decision to move-on. Simple as that, a personal decision that I made based on my needs and wants.
Oldbikerbill figured it out!
Regards,
Odd you didn't come out with it in the beginning. The questions were going to be inevitable. So it it came down to no space. Well,,, I agree. The space is ridiculous for a Goldwing. The reason I keep my BMW 1600 GTL. Great space - much more than the Wing. No question Honda traded space for looks. Good luck with your next bike.

Chuck

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread, only an observation:
I've rented BMWs in Anchorage for a ride to Prudhoe, in Colombia, and twice in Argentina. Four out of the five times myself or someone I was riding with had computer or electrical problems. Two of them show stoppers. I've also been told by two owners that the main 30A fuse blew within a week off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread, only an observation:
I've rented BMWs in Anchorage for a ride to Prudhoe, in Colombia, and twice in Argentina. Four out of the five times myself or someone I was riding with had computer or electrical problems. Two of them show stoppers. I've also been told by two owners that the main 30A fuse blew within a week off the showroom floor.
Been riding BMW's since the 1970's (until my recent Wing purchase). Never heard of that type electrical problem from other riders, dealers, or forums during those fifty years. Maybe rental fleets from South America or Alaska have different maintenance practices. :unsure: Check it out: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm glad you've had such a good experience with them. I'm only delineating my experience. However computers and other electrical components and their interfaces normally aren't maintenance items; they either work or they don't. Regarding maintenance practices, I've actually found mechanics in Latin America to be very skilled. But again this is only my observation.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts