GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone has an answer to this question. Getting ready to upgrade speakers in helmet. Cut speaker off and found the wire inside is like cloth. Anyone have an idea how to solder this stuff?

I've soldered quite a bit and have never run into this before.

Any help would be appreciated.

Richard

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok folks. After looking around on the internet I found a solution. Read where a guy took an ordinary aspirin, laid the wire on it and put the hot soldering iron on the wire(on top of the aspirin) until the aspirin melted. It's supposed to strip the enamel off and then you are able to tin it. Well, it worked great. This might be old news but maybe it'll help someone else. Thanks, this place is great. Have used many suggestions from this forum.

Richard

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hay Richard, Where is the link to this soldering info, this is very interesting to me for another project I have in mind!

Al

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Amaxx:

First let me say that compared to those that do it for a living, what I know about soldering can fit on the head of a pin. I know just about enough of the technical soldering stuff to get me in trouble, but it's usually enough to accomplish what I need to get done.

In the past I've run into this type of wire and never had any success in soldering it so my "project" usually got put aside and that was it.

After cutting off one of my chatterbox helmet speakers and finding this type of wire I puckered up pretty good when I couldn't get it to tin.

Posted a message here and then started looking around for a solution. Found some thing on LITZ type of wire, (still don't know what it is) but it looked close to what I had. Figured I had nothing to lose at this point and it just happened to work.

Focused my google search on;

soldering + wire
"soldering wire"
"soldering litz"
"how to solder"

Tried a number of combinations but those above seemed to yield the best results.

Following are two of many that reference aspirin. Never expected it to work but it did. I would suggest anyone doing this do it in a WELL ventalated area. The fumes from melting aspirin don't feel too good when inhaled.

http://amrad.org/pipermail/lf/2000q4/000827.html

http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2002 ... 00445.html

Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts