GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm riding to AK from the beach in NC in late June this year. It's going to be a solo trip and I'm a sponge for advice right now. I ride an '05 Wing and have traveled to and through all the lower 48. I plan to camp approx. 50% of the trip. My goal is to run just past the Arctic Circle to Coldfoot. Based on what I've seen and read, I have no desire to run the Haul Road up to Deadhorse. Any tips, advice, suggestions, warnings are greatly appreciated. I'm scouring The Milepost to fine tune the route.Thanks in advance.... Pray for me...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'm riding to AK from the beach in NC in late June this year. It's going to be a solo trip and I'm a sponge for advice right now. I ride an '05 Wing and have traveled to and through all the lower 48. I plan to camp approx. 50% of the trip. My goal is to run just past the Arctic Circle to Coldfoot. Based on what I've seen and read, I have no desire to run the Haul Road up to Deadhorse. Any tips, advice, suggestions, warnings are greatly appreciated. I'm scouring The Milepost to fine tune the route.Thanks in advance.... Pray for me...
It's just me, but I found some of best scenery close to the ocean, assuming it is not raining and foggy.
It's not cheap but the Alaska state ferry systems has some great routes worth considering. http://www.dot.state.ak.us
You can drive to Prince Rupert BC. Take a AK Ferry from PR to Juneau, spend a day enjoying some of the best seafood on the planet, then catch a ferry to Haines and continue driving up the Haines Hwy. Just one example.

My family really enjoyed Valdez, and Stan Stephens's tour of Prince William Sound.

Still on my bucket list is a couple of days on Kodiak Island taking pictures of all the Bears.
Take a float plane from any of the local flight services that will let you park your GW in a nice hanger. :)

http://www.kodiak.org/visitor-information/the-kodiak-visitors-guide.html

enjoy

Rick

BTW if you are camping outside of a main campground, you must not have any food or smell of food on you or any of your gear. Bears are everywhere. And if you run into an true timber wolf, one look in those eyes will be something you will never forget.

·
Registered
598 Posts
As raconnol advised, some of the best scenery is to be found along the coast; such places as Valdez (highly recommended), Seward, and Homer, as well as along the ferry route in the Southeast Panhandle. If you don't take the ferry all the way up or back, you might consider just the 17 mile / 1 hour ride between Haines and Skagway. You have to coordinate with the ferry schedule, but that lets you travel both White Pass (on the Skagway side) and Chilkat Pass (on the Haines side) - some spectacular riding.

More great scenery is available riding through the mountain passes: Isabel Pass is my favorite (on the Richardson Hwy between Fairbanks and Valdez) followed by Thompson Pass (just north of Valdez). Going to or from Valdez, a nice side trip is to turn off onto the Edgerton Hwy and ride down to Chitina. Go on through the town and down to the Copper River. You'll encounter ust a little gravel on the way down to the bridge. If you don't mind 115 miles of gravel, the Denali Hwy between Paxson and Cantwell is especially scenic on a clear day. Not quite as pretty in the rain. If nothing else, the first 20 miles at the east end is paved and has some great riding as you climb, descend into Hungry Hollow, then climb again before dropping down to the Tangle River. Tangle River Inn is a good place to get a meal, too.

While I often run up to Coldfoot and back in less than a day, for someone who is making the trip for the first time and may want to take if at a more leisurely pace, riding on past Coldfoot to Wiseman and staying overnight in either the B&B (Arctic Getaway) or Boreal Lodging makes it more enjoyable. For that matter, since you plan on camping, Marion Creek campground, not far past Coldfoot, would work too.

You can find a few of my rides written up on ADVrider, where I post as Alcan Rider, as well as some photos in this thread In Alaska. Might give you some ideas.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm planning the same type of solo trip this summer... Leaving Chicago on June 10th or 11th....

Any advice from anyone on where to get a tire changed when I get up there??? I will be in need of new tires about the time I get into Alaska... Where should I go? Or should I have them shipped to someone up there from the lower 48?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm planning the same type of solo trip this summer... Leaving Chicago on June 10th or 11th....

Any advice from anyone on where to get a tire changed when I get up there??? I will be in need of new tires about the time I get into Alaska... Where should I go? Or should I have them shipped to someone up there from the lower 48?
If you're sure you'll need some, ship them in advance to be certain there are some here. One place may have them, one place can order them and the other place won't be able to help most likely. You can buy them on Amazon.com and get them shipped for free if you're a Prime member. If you don't have a place to send them to, I'd be happy to hold them for you if you're coming into Palmer and/or Anchorage.

To best answer your question about where. Where do you plan to go and where (as in, which city) do you hope to get them changed?

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you're sure you'll need some, ship them in advance to be certain there are some here. One place may have them, one place can order them and the other place won't be able to help most likely. You can buy them on Amazon.com and get them shipped for free if you're a Prime member. If you don't have a place to send them to, I'd be happy to hold them for you if you're coming into Palmer and/or Anchorage.

To best answer your question about where. Where do you plan to go and where (as in, which city) do you hope to get them changed?

I'm hoping to change them in the Fairbanks area... It's still a few weeks away, but it looks like I'll need new tires when I first get in to Alaska - and I'm heading towards FB first.... not gonna make it down to Anchorage until the end of June.....

I'm actually leaning towards getting tires a little early and maybe change them in Edmonton, AB.... Better safe then sorry

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I hear ya! If you think I can help - holler.

Have a safe trip! Watch the gravel and frost heaves! And for pete's sake, don't forget your passport.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm hoping to change them in the Fairbanks area... It's still a few weeks away, but it looks like I'll need new tires when I first get in to Alaska - and I'm heading towards FB first.... not gonna make it down to Anchorage until the end of June.....

I'm actually leaning towards getting tires a little early and maybe change them in Edmonton, AB.... Better safe then sorry
If you want to change them in Fairbanks, the place to go is Adventure Cycleworks. You can ship tires to them and they will hold them for you. Give Dan a call and tell him your plans. Where else can you get your bike worked on after midnight? ;) A great place to get current information on conditions along the Haul Road as many riders stop there coming and going from/to Deadhorse.

Other than the construction at the south end of the Haul Road, it's usually not a bad trip up to Coldfoot, even on a Wing. Mine's been to the Arctic Circle a couple of times so far, and one of those it went on up to Wiseman (a great place to stay overnight if you are making a two-day trip of it).

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you want to change them in Fairbanks, the place to go is Adventure Cycleworks. You can ship tires to them and they will hold them for you. Give Dan a call and tell him your plans. Where else can you get your bike worked on after midnight? ;) A great place to get current information on conditions along the Haul Road as many riders stop there coming and going from/to Deadhorse.

Other than the construction at the south end of the Haul Road, it's usually not a bad trip up to Coldfoot, even on a Wing. Mine's been to the Arctic Circle a couple of times so far, and one of those it went on up to Wiseman (a great place to stay overnight if you are making a two-day trip of it).
Adventure won't be able to help me out... They are no longer doing tires on Goldwings... :?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Alaska Trip

Adventure won't be able to help me out... They are no longer doing tires on Goldwings... :?
I am leaving on a solo trip to Alaska on June 11 from Nashville TN on a Goldwing. Round trip will be approx 11,000 miles which I plan on doing on 1 set of tires. Why do you think you will need a new set in Fairbanks? I do not ride easy or hard and always get 11-14 from a set of tires.

Anyhow have a great trip and PM me if you want to ride up together.

Jim

·
Registered
598 Posts
I do not ride easy or hard and always get 11-14 from a set of tires.
But according to your sig, you're double darkside, like me. Back when I was running motorcycle tires on both ends my rear was only good for about 12,000 max, even though I could get around 18,000 from the front. It was always necessary to have a new rear tire staged somewhere down in the states so I could make it back home okay.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Good to know. :yes1: I'll have to ask Dan why next time I see him, although I can make a guess.

If you can get your own tires & rims off the bike, Alaska Leather in Anchorage will mount the tires for you. Otherwise it would be best to take it to one of the dealers up here. If you do that, I would recommend the dealer in Fairbanks or the one in Palmer rather than the one in Anchorage. Heard too many horror stories about the latter. I do all my own tires, on all my bikes, so don't keep up on the dealers as well as I might.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am leaving on a solo trip to Alaska on June 11 from Nashville TN on a Goldwing. Round trip will be approx 11,000 miles which I plan on doing on 1 set of tires. Why do you think you will need a new set in Fairbanks? I do not ride easy or hard and always get 11-14 from a set of tires.

Anyhow have a great trip and PM me if you want to ride up together.

Jim
I'm planning on the new tires because i currently have about 6,000 miles on my tires now & will need new tires about the time i get up there....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good to know. :yes1: I'll have to ask Dan why next time I see him, although I can make a guess.
They said because it was becoming to much work to change the lift out back & forth between dual aport, cruisers & touring... Going with just dual.sports now

1 - 15 of 15 Posts