GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoyed my '84 Gold Wing and put a lot of solo and group riding miles on it, including a couple of coast-to-coast trips during the mid-'80s. Then I "seg-wayed" to sporit bikes for a few years and then, more recently, to sport touring bikes, the last two of which were Honda ST1100s. Now I'm about to return, full circle, to the Gold Wing community, via my new 2004 Titanium as soon as the roads around here get desalinized late next month.

But I'm wondering whether the profile of "the Gold Wing community" may have changed since 1984. Given Honda's decision to evolve the Wing more toward the sport touring angle, I'm hoping it has.

My experience is that most sport-touring riders are so in love with the riding experience that they almost always end up doing a lot of their riding solo -- just because it's not easy to get a bunch of guys together who are available at the same time and like to ride in the same, uh, sporting fashion.

So I'd like to hear from any of you out there who ride the GL1800 and fit the following profile:
- you ride "aggressively," passing cage traffic whenever possible
- you seek out the squidliest road available whenever possible
- you avoid the interstates as much as possible
- you try to find as many different routes between "A" and "B" as possible
- you need a tank bag if only to hold your map in front of you for frequent consultation
- you are gone for many days or weeks at a time, riding alone but loving it
- the focus of these multi-day rides is just to find "new" roads that are sensuously curvacious
- on these rides, you spend the entire day riding, day-after-day, and the evening and night-times are used only for recharging your energy level so you can do it all over again the next day.

Is there anyone else out there who fits this profile?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
SportTouring

I came into the Wing from the Concours Owners Group or Cog. Had a Kawasaki Concours Sport Tourer for 15 yrs. A great bike. Joined the club in 87 when it first started. My membership # is 19. I think there are 6500 + members in the club now. Your statements are all true. I spite of the "sport touring abilities of the Wing", I think most Wing owners do not fit the profile you printed. May be wrong, but based on the Wing owners I have run into, touring is the big thing, not sport touring. They are 2 different types of riding. I am still into "Sport Touring" as opposed to touring. You are right about the riding and the desire. We had a rally in Lake George NY last fall. Some of the guys made a trip to vermont and the notches and then up into into Canada and back. All in one day. No "dairyQueen Riders" in this club. We have a some members who belong the the IIBA. Those "bun burners" are a lot of fun, but not many people want to try 1000 miles in 24 hrs. We also have members in CA. If you want, drop me an email and I will send you the link for the club.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Greetings,

I'm not sure I would classify myself as a "Sport Tourer" since I have no desire to burn 1000 miles in a day. However, I fit all the other classifications and just as soon as the weather stabilizes just a little more, I'm going to take off on a week long "jaunt" just to see what is out there.

I love blowing by the cages - avoid interstates like the plague unless it is absolutely necessary - will take a turn on a previously unridden road just to see where it goes and figure out where I am when I get there - I like solitude and consider myself to be good company for myself. Pitching a tent, building a campfire, and just enjoying the peace and quiet is much better than a noisy bar full of obnoxious people.

All new camping gear is on the way from Campmor and figuring out the perfect "load plan" is the next challenge.

My next adventure is going to be the Gulf Coast.....Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas.

I've never taken a long trip with another rider on the Gold Wing, although I frequently do long distance trips on personal watercraft (love my Sea Doo) with a fellow adventurer. It might be fun to find the right person/personality to do a road trip with.

A couple more weeks of weather like today and I'm going to be on the road somewhere! 60ish and sunny all day long here in Central Alabama.

Rick Bailey
Tuscaloosa, AL
04 Candy Red Gold Wing
03 Sea Doo GTX 4Tec (155 HP)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The new look/performance of the wing has definitely brought some new/younger blood into the mix.

There are a lot of 30-something owners on the site, with a big mix of styles/experience.

I like to carve up some curves myself, but also don't mind getting out on the slab and getting in 1500 miles in a day. Each type of riding has its own challenges and highlights.

WHo ever came up with the slogan "this ain't your daddy's (grandfather's) Goldwing" hit the nail on the head!! :D

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Roadsurfer, I can answer yes to all of your requirements. Even with the 1500 I had trouble finding people that liked to ride like I do. The 1800 is even more fun.

I agree with IB Mike, the new blood coming in with the 1800 is going to be interesting. I am looking forward to see how some of the new guys ride this year. Any way it goes I'm going to have a lot of fun this year.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am some of the new blood you talk about. :lol: I would have never cosidered a Goldwing in the past, but, this model just turns me on. Most people can't keep up with me in the curves, and setting the cruise at 85 or better on the Interstate and burning miles while listening to my favorite tunes is pretty darned enjoyable to me also.

I usually ride alone since my pace is a bit quicker than most prefer. I can only stand to slow down and ride in a group for so long and then I get annoyed. I'm going on a 6000 mile trip alone this summer and just can't wait.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Count me in on this one. I fall into 6 out of the 8 categories (have a GPS so don't need a tank bag :) ). Funny thing is, I use to have SO many more riding buddies when I rode cruisers. Hmmm :? . Oh well, I still have my my husband to ride with so I can't complain. Nothing like carving roads out with your favorite riding buddy all day long and being able to snuggle up with them back at the motel room while discussing the day's ride (and the next day's ride too) :s27: . Pretty cool.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Young at 67

Hey Roadsurfer,
I fit most of your requirements. Came from an ST1100A.
Like to pass cages and HD's. I said I would never own a Wing until
I rode on my buddy's brand new 01.
Hey why not have speed, comfort, stereo and reverse too. 8)
I also keep an 04 Honda 919 next to my 04 Red Wing. They seem to
get along well so far. :twisted:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sport Touring

I meet many of the criteria you list, except just not able to frequently take off for days at a time so I stick pretty much to Washington State with a couple of forays into Montana. Been riding since a kid and although I've owned two HDs ('69 Sporster XLCH and '75 FXE) I definitely ride on the agressive side much of the time (not in the wooonderful Seattle rush hour traffic though). My recent rides (since the early 90's have been a '91 ST1100, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200, and a 99 ST1100A. I bought the wing more or less under duress - the wife never felt comfortable on the ST and a BMW-riding friend of hers at work was trying to talk her (me) into getting an LT. The 02 GL-A I bought was definitely the lesser of two evils and it didn't take much riding to love the bike (especially equipped with XM radio and GPS).

I have this book called 'Destination Highways Washington' that I plan on working my way through. I also have an old Honda Transalp (600 cc dual-sport) that I use to explore those roads that might not be comfortably passable on the wing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well it looks like I fit the bill also.. I went the other way, Started with at 1500 KAW, added a Valk, added a 1500 Wing... Sold everything and bought a new 1800 Wing in 2001. Last year I added a 92 Honda VFR (Selling the VFR). It was too small so I bought a used 1992 ST1100 that I use like a sport bike. Love it, Love it, Love it... I have 36000 miles on the Wing and just ride it on long weekends with my wife Diane. We go all over, otherwise I ride the 1100. Most Saturdays you can find me around the Rock store riding the canyons around here. (sunny California) on the ST1100... I ride with a great group of guys and gals. TORC. Thousand Oaks Riding. We ride all over the place. We have a sport group and a Touring group and I ride with both>>>

Lucky Wilber :D :) :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your sig is indeed appropriate, Wilber. You are one lucky guy! The best of at least three or four worlds! Living in possibly the best sport riding area of the known world and riding two of the best motorcycles currently available to humankind. Count yer blessings, me son.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've been known to "resemble those remarks"! I rode a PC800 for four years and never took a direct route anywhere. I know I can make it to LA from SA in two long days, but why? Five days traveling all over the place made more sense. I have had to "settle" a little bit lately due to financial concerns, but the desire is still there. I have put 30K on my Wing since I have had it and that included two trips to Los Angeles. On the second trip my honey and I rode up to Morro Bay on the Pacific Coast Hwy. She had never been on a motorcycle trip before. Now she is hooked!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yeah, Yeah, thats me. I cannot follow anybody or anything. Bad air and I can't see everything. This 02 Wing IS a sport bike. Craig

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We've all got a lot in common -- including the facts that:

1) "cpallen" and I share the same last name;
2) like BJ, I too once owned a Pacific Coast; and
3) like bigc45, I agree that there is that extra reason for riding solo that I neglected to mention at the outset of this thread -- we don't like to have anything cluttering up the road in front of us (even another bike) and find someone riding on our tail to be almost as bad a distraction.

Ain't it great to know we're not alone in our .... peculiarities?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I guess I too fall into this catagory. My other bike is a '03 Honda CBR 600RR. I ride it soslo, the wife enjoys the Goldwing so must of the miles on that bike are done 2 up. :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts