GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to head out into the southwest for a few weeks in late September and October, per info provided by members here it should be livable temps, tho I can and will ride in triple digits since I know how to do that with vests, camelbaks, etc. I want to make this trip a bit of an 'ad-lib' event, meaning I don't want to plan every stop, but need to make sure I hit the places I want to see, most of which, I'm sure I don't even know about. Also important not to arrive 100 miles from the nearest hotel since it can get cold at night in the deserts, so some planning is needed. I camp in the National Forest lands otherwise if wx is decent.

Since I am who I am and I do what I do, this trip is also about testing new stuff and a little R&D, but that's part of the fun for me. Following other hobbies, I also want to do some photography in Utah and other places, and of course, stand on a corner in Winslow, Az in one of the pics! I'm also taking a guitar with me so I can keep my callouses and licks in top form. You never know when Carlos will get sick and need a stand-in...

Anyone with a favorite 'out of the way' scenic road or great restaurant, please toss it in and I'll mix it all up and make a rough outline from it. All I know for now is I want to see Arches NP again, south rim of GC, perhaps a bit of Canyonlands NP, and similar. Aside the NP's, I want photography of rusted cars, old mules, colorful locals and the town mutt as well. This is my first real vacation in nearly 10 years, and I simply want it to be more of a 'walkabout' than a 'trip'. If I get to it, a couple days for Yosemite is a must. Was there in a cage the only other time.

My bet is that a couple folks here have some input on how to make the right stops :)

Ed

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Here is a helpful site on the weather. Enter the location and select the month and get graphs on weather. Lets you know what to expect that time of year.

Example:

Moab Oct-Sept 2010

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Since you did not include how much time you are wanting to spend in various areas, I'll just recommend that you look at the links in my signature block and consider some of the rides in Colorado that I put together for Rockies-Gold (out of Montrose and out of Frisco/Copper Mountain areas). On my coloradodave web site there are a couple of good 10-day rides that include some of the best in Colorado and Utah.

Some things out west that are my favorite:
  • San Juan Skyway in Colorado
  • Unaweep ride
  • UT-12; be sure to ride out the Burr Trail out of Boulder for about 20 miles or so and back, being sure to ride thorugh Long Canyon (becomes dirt after about 30 miles or so)
  • US-191 Coronado Trail in eastern AZ, Clifton to Alpine
  • Northern California (just about everything south of the oregon border towards the coast
  • Columbia River Gorge between Oregon and Washington; I prefer the Washington side for riding the distance, but the scenic highway on the oregon side just east of Portland it beautiful.
  • I love riding and sightseeing in the Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens areas.
  • And then ther is northern Utah...some of the finest.

·
Registered
2019 Tour DCT
166 Posts
Just finished a ride through parts of S. Utah that were just wonderful!! Hiway 12 heading towards Escalante is great. And the national parks are not to be missed (Arches, Bryce, and Zion) also others in between if you have time.. Canyonlands (near Arches). Love Hiway 128 in Utah.. just off of i-70 south towards Moab.. follows along the Colorado River and is gorgeous.

There are so many plance and just not enough time. Though I just returned home (3 weeks ago) I am heading out again to Rockies Gold and then heading back home through the SE corner of Utah and AZ to the Grand Canyon before turning west.

Ride safe and enjoy

·
Registered
356 Posts
I just finished a 'bucket list' trip that included many of the areas you are considering. Arches, Canyonlands, Grand Canyon and the Petrified Forest national parks are a must.

As far as scenic roads, I highly recommend US 191 through Utah, US 160 and the Million Dollar Hwy through Colorado and Route 66 through Oklahoma. You will have plenty of opportunities for that 'perfect shot' on the aforementioned roads. US 50 has some interesting little towns along the way as well.

Enjoy the trip and be safe.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just finished a ride through parts of S. Utah that were just wonderful!! Hiway 12 heading towards Escalante is great. And the national parks are not to be missed (Arches, Bryce, and Zion) also others in between if you have time.. Canyonlands (near Arches). Love Hiway 128 in Utah.. just off of i-70 south towards Moab.. follows along the Colorado River and is gorgeous.

There are so many plance and just not enough time. Though I just returned home (3 weeks ago) I am heading out again to Rockies Gold and then heading back home through the SE corner of Utah and AZ to the Grand Canyon before turning west.

Ride safe and enjoy
Do you know if they've finished to road work through Zion?

·
Registered
2019 Tour DCT
166 Posts
I dont recall any significant road work being done when i was there (3 weeks ago). But I would suggest checking their website.. i know they did alot of work last year but that was completed.

Maybe others more local to the park will chip in.

Be safe.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I dont recall any significant road work being done when i was there (3 weeks ago). But I would suggest checking their website.. i know they did alot of work last year but that was completed.

Maybe others more local to the park will chip in.

Be safe.
Thanks.. Went through the park last year and it took four hours. Even had to have a quide through the tunnel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts