GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One-up and all by yourself...Where'd you go and what did you do?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I ride to work 2 to 4 days a week. 250 to 350 miles each day. Back and forth across the Allegheny mountains. I'm leaving in a few minutes for downtown Pittsburgh, then Cumberland Md before lunch, then Morgantown WV. Home by 6:00 tonight. Other than work I never go out by myself. My wife likes to ride as much as I do so we go every chance we can and have a great time. The few times I went by myself with no real destination in mind I was bored. It's OK if I have a specific purpose, but to just go for a ride with out her seems pointless.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Probably 70% of my riding is solo...will see how it goes with the VTX...I can ride all day and night...unfortunately, I have other responsiblities...I just cruise around either the countryside (out northwest, up to the Big Lake, around the farms) or downtown, or along the beach...sometimes I'll even stop for a minute! But only if I'm really thirsty... riding with others, they're always stopping and eating and shopping and sightseeing...I love to RIDE!

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
My wife will read this, so I go to check on the construction progress at the Christian camp our kids have gone to in the past. Yep, that's where I was all day... :lol:

Seriously, when she's not with me, I just wander and end up where I do, then wander home. Sometimes it's 30 miles, sometimes much more.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Solo

All of my riding is solo since my wife hate motorcycles. Last big ride was from Virginia through all of the Northeast states in two days.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Big Bend, Rockies, Ozarks... anywhere I can find curves and hills.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I go to bike night on Wednesdays without my SO... its the boys night out..
but last long ride I took 1-up... was to Grand Canyon - Brice Canyon -
Zion & then through Colorado on the way home it was a 13 day ride...

cosmic

·
Registered
589 Posts
chuckM said:
One-up and all by yourself...Where'd you go and what did you do?
I go the same places and do the same things as people who ride in a group for the most part.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
If I had two wishes, I would wish for enough money to retire comfortably and I would wish that my wife enjoyed riding as much as I do. In other words I ride one-up 99% of the time. But I sure would like to have her along.

I have found the next best thing though. A small group of friends who enjoy the same kind of riding.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
One of my solo rides took me from Oklahoma to Mexico to Canada and back to Oklahoma in 3.5 days. :D

·
Registered
645 Posts
I ride solo 70% of the time. When I'm out and about I'll gnerally ride up to wingworx for a new farkle, or up in the Santa Cruz Mountains to Alices Resturant for a lunch followed by a ride over to the coast for a run up or down. Then the other option is to do a Sierra Nevada Pass loop up and over Ebbitts Pass (8700') and back over the Sonora Pass (9200') and home or a run over Tioga Pass (Yosemite) and back via Sonora Pass. All great 250 - 400 mile day rides. Did I mention that Riding here in Ca. is a year round passtime?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I ride solo about 70-80% of the time. What I do depends on the day. If just riding, I love to explore new roads, mountain roads, or maybe just a mountain pass loop. If I am looking for photo sites, then some of the above plus I explore a lot of unpaved forest roads, until I believe my 800 pound GW mountain bike might not be able to either turn around, or get through the mud or other road hazard. I do have an agreement with my wife that if I am going to ride my GW on a dirt forest road I will leave a message as to which one & general location. Some of those roads are not traveled too often and there is always the possibility of a mishap.
With my GPS I can find my way back out when time to go home.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I ride 1 up most of the time. But rarely ride any great distance solo. A fews years back I got to take off and did St. Louis to Cheyenne to Vegas into California up to Washington across S Dakota and back to St. Louis. 5500 miles in 5 days. It was planned as a longer trip but when I checked on Thurs night the wife told me people were visiting from out of town that our "gang" wanted to go on a group ride to show them the area. I was spending the night at the western edge of Montana got up early Friday made it to NW Missouri where I took a nap for a few hours and then headed home. Took a shower, put on fresh clothes and headed out to meet the group at Fast Eddies for lunch before an afternoon of riding. All trips this year were either with other riders, with a passenger or both.

·
Registered
624 Posts
East Coast to the West Coast, Mexico to Canada. Several times over again. I ride alone, that's one thing I like about a motorcycle. :D

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I ride 2-up 90% of the time...my SO enjoys rideing as much as I do...if I'm 1-up its for the Patriot Guard Riders or getting to the mission...

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
My wife and I ride two up 95 % of the Wing miles. She has her own Shadow but loves to be on the back of the Wing. I wish we were younger so we could have more years of riding.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I ride by myself 1 up most of the time because I am off more than a lot of my friends. I will ride to neighboring States back home by dark 300-350 mile days. I have two 7 day trips for Spring. I just enjoy riding.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
back in 2002 the first three months I rode my 02,I rode over 10,000 miles,only leaving the state of Washington for less than 1000 miles.NMost of these miles were one or two day rides,and probably 60% solo.

My longest solo ride has been 900 miles to Hyder,AK.I did that in two days each way.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts