GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been enjoying quite a few long weekend rides exploring. I have discovered some incredibly beautiful parts of New Jersey that some people wouldn't believe existed in this State. My GPS is an integral tool in my exploration, for it allows me to see features and attractions that wouldn't be visible from a map while I'm riding.

I thought I'd share a few photos with you.

I've gotten pretty good at shooting pictures while I'm riding. While most will come out clear, I like these ones that are a bit distorted because they show "motion"

These next couple of shots are what I ride by every day to and from work.

In this shot you can see the Empire State Building. This view was much more distinctive before 911.

8)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Beautiful shots! You're making me miss Oregon!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
T.O. Bob said:
Now I want to ride, but am stuck in the office.
Me too!! :lol: That's why I had to post these pictures... takes me back out on the road.... well, at least in my mind. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Soloquest said:
T.O. Bob said:
Now I want to ride, but am stuck in the office.
Me too!! :lol: That's why I had to post these pictures... takes me back out on the road.... well, at least in my mind. :lol: :lol:

ME TOO :(

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I like the way you used a slower shutter speed to capture the flow of the water.

Nice shots!

Dep

C

·
0 Posts
Very nice shots. Well done indeed. Many people don't know how pretty some parts of the Garden State are. Thank you for taking the time to post all those nice photos.

I'm looking forward to a nice leisurely Thanksgiving ride up the Sparta NJ from my home here in NC. To avoid the REALLY bad traffic I'm leaving Tuesday, heading to Roanoke Va, then Staunton Va, Hagerstown MD, then Harrisburg and Allentown PA. I'll spend a little time at the Delaware Water Gap; have lunch at the Blairstown Diner (their claim to fame is a Friday the 13th scene was shot there) then on to Sparta for Thanksgiving. It's such pretty country up there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Soloquest, beautiful shots. My wife and I ride the NE as often as we can. If you have them, would you please attach a lat/long to the pics. I would like to visit those spots.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
arkie said:
If you have them, would you please attach a lat/long to the pics. I would like to visit those spots.
What!! And give away the Garden States secret riding spots?? It's crowded enough here as it is now!!! :lol: :lol:

Kidding, of course. Lat & Long is gonna be a little too much work for me right now, but Google will get you there. The first 3 shots are a place called "Leddel's Pond" up in Mendham Twp. I just happened upon this place and it is awesomely beautiful!

The "tall falls" in the 4th shot is Buttermilk Falls. I think it may be the tallest falls in NJ. Another beautiful area. The bridge was found on some back road near the falls.

Pretty much anywhere up in Sussex is extremely beautiful and non-typical of what you picture when you think New Jersey.

If/whenever your visiting or riding up here, drop me a note and if I can I'll meet you for a ride.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Excellent pictures, thanks for taking the time to share them.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
For some really beautiful scenery, take the "Last Exit", sign says it, in Jersey from Rte 80 Westbound and take Old Mine Road North thru Delaware Water Gap park. There is a light at bottom of hill off Rte 80 where you have to make a right, but that is because that section is a one lane road for a while. Head north, thru Flatbrook on 615. Make a RIGHT at the restored village over the bridge. Going left just takes you to a dead end section. Make the right and head North on 615. All the way to Rte 206. Cross 206 and take 521 into Port Jervis.
Outstanding Jersey riding. If anyone needs a Map Source Rte of it, let me know as I have quite a few Map Source routes in that area. I will be posting them to my web site, www.topster10.com. There are WVA routes and NY State routes posted there now. Jersey routes will follow.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

Awesome pics Floyd,
Ya found and shared some the few parts of NJ that are great to see where yer not worryin' about the correct exit to hit. :wink:
I liken it to the "nermal parts" of Virginny away from the metro areas where the DEA and ATF folks are really in charge. 8)

Great to see that when ya get out of the office yer havin' fun, will y'all have snow by Xmas??? :lol:

:flg:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Awesome! I didn't realize New Jersey had views like this. The only places I have been in the state was Newark airport and Atlantic City. Guess you really can't judge a book from the cover.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
As one who made his fortune in NJ, then returned home on retirement, I can attest to the scenic parts of NJ. About 10 years ago, I hosted a ride to see the fall leaves, and our motel was the Panther Valley Inn just off of Route I-80 in northern NJ. Dubbed the GEWLR, I've left the report, pictures and the route on my website. So, if you live in or near northern NJ - west of I-287, take a look. NJ road 611 running north from US 46 towards Hope, NJ has a pull off with a spectacular view of the Delaware Water Gap.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
John Garner said:
Panther Valley Inn just off of Route I-80 in northern NJ.
Ahh... I know it well, John. I've gigged in the Pub there many times, and met a very special person in my life there. :wink:
The history of "Panther Valley" is pretty interesting. Beautiful area.

Some pics from the Pub:
http://www.floydweb.com/mymusic/images/pub/pub.html

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Great pics Floyd. If I actually miss something about growing up in that area, it would be the scenery.

However, I don't miss anything about growing up there.

:wink:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Floyd,
I loved those; you have a special eye for photography. What beautiful country. Thank you for sharing. <Should I tell you I snitched some for my desktop?> :roll:
Claudia
www.itchyhitch.com

·
Registered
256 Posts
Soloquest, I told you to stop telling people about the secret New Jersey we know and ride. Please just take the thruway or the parkway ,make sure you get a good view of Newark and the meadowlands, thats all we have here. Appreciate you coming to visit. :cus:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Soloquest,

Great pictures. Kristy and I got married October 7, 2006, we had our reception at the Panther Valley Country Club. We were at the Pub that night after the wedding and our guests stayed at the Inn overnight. We got some great pictures taken on the grounds of the Inn, the country club, and Stephens State Park. Alot of my wife's family is from Upstate NY and they were shocked that NJ was so beautiful, most of them only knew Jersey from going to Newark airport for flights. There's so much more to our Garden State. Brian

1 - 20 of 27 Posts