GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to clean the bottom of my engine to help me find a coolant leak. What do most people use? Engine degreaser or ?? Didnt know if any thing that works better than engine degreaser.

I am having a coolant leak that I am going to try and find this afternoon. I have tried to tighten the all hoses on the lower right side about a month ago. But here is the funny part, it seems to leak only when on the side stand. If it is on center no luck (that I know of). I do not know if it is building up somewhere and when it is on its side stand, it drains onto the floor. If you can think of anything that might help me find this leak, then let me know.

·
Registered
899 Posts
If its only when on side stand check overflow bottle make sure its not to full and cap is on tight,its on the left side.Just a guess.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Your suspicion is probably correct. With the bike parked on the center stand, remove the right side engine cover (the chrome one that covers the oil dip stick and rear master cylinder). Trace your finger along the back side of the engine, up past the rear brake master and up to the top ofthe engine reach in that small opening between the bottom edge of the frame backbone and top of engine. You may find your residue of coolant there on top of the engine. To get to the several clamps there, one removes the top shelter and fuel tank. Fred harmon's web site may have pics posted, the video series shows how.

Let us know what you find.

prs

H

·
0 Posts
Cheap oven cleaner from the dollar store makes a great engine degreaser. Don't get it on vinyl lettering or pinstripes though.

Cheap oven cleaner from the dollar store makes a great vinyl lettering or pinstriping remover!!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
.....But here is the funny part, it seems to leak only when on the side stand. If it is on center no luck (that I know of). I do not know if it is building up somewhere and when it is on its side stand, it drains onto the floor. If you can think of anything that might help me find this leak, then let me know.
Do you have a shield on the bottom of your coolant reservoir bottle?

If so, coolant may be collecting between the shield and the bottle, only to be dumped on the ground when the bike is moved from the side stand from the center stand.

This was happening with my bike (see signature). I improved the fit of the overflow line where it enters the bottle, as this is where the leak was.

End of problem.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I think I figured it out. I went through a couple of months ago and tightened all of the lower hose clamps. When I went back and checked, one of them just didnt seem to get tight enough. It was stripped so screw in the clamp was just turning and no tightening was happening. I went down to the hardware store and picked up some #6? clamps and replaced the OEM clamp. So far no leak, but I havent reinstalled the front of the belly pan. I know it is just waiting for me to do this so it can leak again. :D

Side note, do not buy #4 clamps. You can not hardly put any pressure on it before it strips the threads. I just installed a #6 and cut the excess off of the clamp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts