GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this article this morning when reading the news. The quote below was taken from the article in the link.
http://tinyurl.com/qqoe24
Not registering:
Forget that rough-and-tumble stereotype. Motorcyclists are really just a bunch of lightweights.
Actuated traffic signals sometimes fail to detect riders on their two-wheelers, resulting in a never-ending wait that can push frustrated motorcyclists right through a red light. That's a dangerous chain of events that the Ohio Department of Transportation wants to put the brakes on.
ODOT is working with the American Motorcycle Association to find and fix traffic signal systems that aren't sensitive enough to detect motorcycles.
To report a problem signal, call 614-387-0722 or send an e-mail to [email protected].
Now if they would just fix the roads while they are at it, we'll be all set.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
SWEET!!!

Yea, your telling me about those roads. My vehicles take a good beating in these parts. These temp fixes have to stop.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
They are working on the roads in southeast Ohio. New guard rails, posts, signs, barriers for sign posts, etc, no new pavement.:wrong: The signs I am seeing now, that I really like, on I-275, say something like "power lines overhead" and they are posted so you see them just after you go under the power lines! And you want government health care?
I would love to know which politicians relatives own the sign shops and manufacture guard rails!:wrong:

C

·
0 Posts
I-275, say something like "power lines overhead" and they are posted so you see them just after you go under the power lines!
Unless you are driving a VERY large dump truck those powerline signs are NOT for you in a car or on a bike.
They are ther so that when DUMP trucks have there dumpster up they will know to watch out for the power lines, or NOT to raise the dumpster at all

And you want government health care?
WOW...
And what the HECK does a NECESSARY power line sign have to do with Gvmt run health care?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
[...]
WOW...
And what the HECK does a NECESSARY power line sign have to do with Gvmt run health care?
1+

Thank you. I try to play by the rules and keep my politics out of my motorcycle board....sure is hard sometimes.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Ohio roads are the worst... They just are. :wrong:

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Solution: 1.Make several more wraps with the ground loop wire in the detection area.
2. Use timers in place of ground loop detection to control signal lights.

And yeah, Ohio has some of worst road surfaces I've experienced, even worse than some backroads in W.V.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ohio roads are the worst... They just are. :wrong:
The real shame of that is that it up until about 7-8 years ago, our roads were ranked as among the best in the country, despite the yearly damage from winter. (That is based on data from over the road truckers) Once Taft become governor the investment in our roads became almost non existent. It didn't help that we had two winters about 5 years ago where the temps were on a roller coaster ride. We had 4 or 5 freeze and thaw cycles each of those winters. Those cycles destroy roads, and we still haven't recovered from it. As a result, the roads have now gone back to being in terrible shape like they were in the 70s.

We still have some nice roads, but overall the infrastructure is in poor shape.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Lots of places in Nebraska are now using cameras instead of the pavement sensors.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I got'a check this out but a Harley dude told me the other day
Wisconsin has a ruling where you can proceed through a red light after X number of minutes.

Now try to prove that in traffic court.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are a number of states that have that, but there is no doubt that in many intersections, that can be a dangerous situation.

I just think it is a good sign that Ohio is now recognizing a problem that motorcyclists face. They mentioned the AMA in the article. I wonder how much involvement they had in getting this moving.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
I got'a check this out but a Harley dude told me the other day
Wisconsin has a ruling where you can proceed through a red light after X number of minutes.

Now try to prove that in traffic court.
I don't know what the law is here, but I do that anyhow. There was an intersection by my last house (130th and Boston) that wouldn't trip with the bike. If I didn't have a beer in me, I would run through it after waiting. If I had a beer or two with dinner, I would make a right and go the other way. That area is patrolled by 2 cities and the State Troopers. not taking my chances. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts