GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This sunday I will be getting a 2000' 1500 to ride. What should I look out for when I pick it up.,? I have never riden a 1500. It is being loanded to me because I had to leave my baby 1800 home :weeping: . I am in Hawaii;
:sun1: Thanks Joy

·
Registered
237 Posts

It will feel top heavy and sluggish compared to the 1800 and will also feel much heavier (not just a little) but much heavier. Kind of like riding a Corvette and then going to a Impala. JMHO!!! :D

·
Chard Member
13,221 Posts
Good Morning Joy...

The 1500 will feel akward and bulky compared to the 1800. You might notice yourself shifting the 1500 more than on the 1800 because of less power. The brakes will feel mushy compared to the 1800 also.

Enjoy your visit and Get Well!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Red said:
Good Morning Joy...

The 1500 will feel akward and bulky compared to the 1800. You might notice yourself shifting the 1500 more than on the 1800 because of less power. The brakes will feel mushy compared to the 1800 also.

Enjoy your visit and Get Well!
This is not to knock 1500's, but I have to agree with the others on this. Especially when you first start out, you'll notice a big difference, and it will take some getting used to. Once you do, you'll have fun, but I'm pretty sure that end of the day, you'll have a whole new appreciation for your 1800, and what a fine machine it is.

At least that was my experience when I borrowed my friend's 1500 last October.

John in Vegas

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else. The 1500 is a great bike, but when I get on one now, it's like driving an old truck around. You'll notice a big difference in the feel and handling of the 1500. Give yourself a little time to get use to it.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Hawaii!!!! yes life is good! The 1500 is a great bike but the 1800 is even greater. One thing you might notice is you won't feel any vibration from the engine through the handlebars or footpegs. Have fun in Hawaii,hope to hear your comments on the 1500 and Hawaii. :yw1:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the tips , I will give a report back as soon as all this happens. Whew great group here!

·
Registered
833 Posts
yellowwing1 said:
What should I look out for when I pick it up.,? :weeping: . I am in Hawaii;
:sun1: Thanks Joy
Don't drop it and you won't have to pick it up.... :D ...... Rob

·
Registered
170 Posts
Joy;

Are you getting any rain. When I was stationed there with the Navy it rained alot this time of year and when it got into the 70's people put sweaters on.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Very interesting reports. I've never ridden a 1500

My last Goldwing was a 1980 GL1100 ( that was sold in 1982) till I bought this 04 GL1800

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hawaii

Yellow-Wing
Can't give you much help on riding a 1500. My last Wing ws a 1200 but my first one was a 1000 in 1975. And since you are going to Hawaii maybe you can find these two spots. The Navy made me spend 10 years on Hawaii.
:beer3:
Drink a Primo for me.
Jerry

BTW.That smoke behind the bike is actually steam coming from hot lava running alongside the road.

This place really is south of Key West.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts