GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Video explaining some of the technology behind the world's only air bagged equipped motorcycle. After going down hard a few years ago and snapping all the ribs on my left side and the shoulder blade I'm seriously giving this model some consideration.......Despite the almost 30k (MSRP) and 26K street price. Either that or investing in one of those kevlar chest/neck protectors that a lot of guys run in Supercross..

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xg5g07_honda-goldwing-airbag-system_auto

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
You really should explore the possibility of the HIT-AIR vest too There are at least two different companies now that make protective vests that protect your neck, spine and thoracic areas in the event of an accident that has you leaving your saddle.
These were originally set up for horse back competetors while jumping fences. I had one for my daughter when she was 10 years old

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
I wear a full kevlar ( 22 layers) every day for work IT AINT comfortable .. But it is like a parachute only has to work one time and it is worth it,,, But I think you will find the self inflating vests and jackets now available for motorcyclists are much more comfortable and will completely protect your neck and most of your rib area in the event you become seperated from your ride. The ones we tested for out motors were able to be reset by the wearer if the pin was popped.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Problem with the bike air bag .. it wont do much for you IF you get launched or high side the bike,, the jackets and vests go with you and stay inflated long enough to take serveral landings before deflating

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^^^^

Excellent points. I don't remember my crash, but I do know it wasn't head on, so I don't know if an air bag would have helped. I kinda like the idea of the air bag following me and not the motorcycle.
:yes1:

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
There was some youtube videos showing them be deployed.. including one on a fast chase with a biker on I-83 where he rear ended a stopped car at highway speed plus got launced over the bike and the car he hit,, landed on the highway and got up and started running on foot

·
IronMan
17,452 Posts
ON TV LAST YEAR THOUGHT WAS INFLATABLE HELMET OUT THERE. ALTHOUGH SOME HAVE TO MUCH AIR UP THERE ANYWAY ! :lol:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I will be getting the bag on my next one. I'm 65 now and my reaction time is diminishing.
I'm not 65 yet, I have a few years to get there. I bought my 1800 to get ABS brakes and I regret that I didn't look for one with the airbag too. If I ever get the chance to own another Wing, it will have the airbag.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
A few thoughts on this. If you had tried to sell me on an Air Bag; on a motorcycle of all things, two years ago? I'd have told you that you were absolutely 100% certifiably nuts! That was two years ago. Now, I have a different opinion, born of first hand experience. I think that the value of this Air Bag is that it slows you down and it stands you up in a frontal collision. Frankly that's all it needs to do to make it worthwhile in my judgement. I was in an accident about a year and a half ago. Slow speed, maybe 20 MPH, probably less, where a car pulled a U turn immediately in front of me. The car was parked at the curb in front of a large truck. Anyhow, the first I saw the car it was essentially sideways about 5 feet in front of me. I hit the car, immediately after the motorcycle hit the car, Duh! None of this is much of a surprise. But what did surprise me is that I hit the car head first. Essentially you become a human dart. The laws of physics take over and the leading point of the dart is the heaviest part . . . your head, followed shortly thereafter by the rest of you! I Broke and crushed a few vertebrae. Many (as in all) doctors told me I was: A.) Lucky to be alive and B.) Lucky to not be a quadriplegic. Not six months later a good friend was in a very similar accident. Only he was doing maybe 30 MPH. He broke and crushed pretty much the same vertebrae and in the same way . . . only a bit worse. He now is a quadriplegic. My better half's comment was that the difference between my friend and I was roughly 5 to 10 MPH. If either of us had been on a Goldwing with an Airbag, I don't think it would have been an accident without some serious injuries . . . but I do believe that neither one of us would have been launched head first into the cars that we hit. Neither of us remember anything past a WTF and reaching for the brake lever! If you think you're going to have a moment to react? Think again! Ain't so!

As for inflatable vests, and the like. Do the math folks. To inflate the vest you first have to reach the end of the tether that ties you to the bike. It's only at this point that the vest begins to inflate. Now, take the time that the supplier says it takes to inflate their vest (0.1 seconds) . . .and yup, I know it sounds really fast . . . and then calculate how far an object travels at 20 MPH in that length of time (it's 3 Feet) . . . . interesting isn't it. Now add that to the length of your tether . . . You're still traveling head first aren't you? You've already hit the car before the vest airbag was inflated sufficiently to protect your core haven't you? And where's your core in relation to your head as you're flying head first towards that car? You were only going 20 MPH! At 30 MPH half you body will be through the window of the car you hit, before this sort of a device will be doing what you bought it to do! It's a device that sounds good . . . but please, do a little math. BTW the Air Bag on the Goldwing inflates in 0.04 seconds, and it inflates when the bike hits the object, not after you reach the end of your tether. The math says you'll travel 1 foot 2 Inches and then you'll hit the Air Bag!

I bought my Goldwing BECAUSE it has an Air Bag. If Harley-Davidsons came with an Air Bag option, Honda wouldn't have made the sale!

BTW OTD April 2013: $26,379 (Included: Bike, Tags, Sales Tax (CA 9.75%), etc. etc.)
Shameless Plug:
Western Honda Motorcycles, Scottsdale, AZ 85257

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I bought my 2013 airbag bike after my experience hitting the door of a 2001 Suburban with a drunk at the wheel in 2013. I had been looking for a few months for an airbag bike when I bought the level one 2010 bike ( bike I crashed ) .. could not find an airbag bike I was happy with the price (foolish). I limped away from that crash

Harley could have 3 airbags on the bikes, I wont buy it. Owned a Harley once.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
http://www.armoredairjackets.com/index.php

Bluehighways your analogy and math are spot on however, I still utilize both. The air vest and air bag bike. You are correct about the air vest except, I shortened the tether so it will indeed deploy as soon as my butt leaves the seat. You are also correct in that it might not help much in certain collisions. I have inflated my vest and I for one can say that if I go sliding down the highway, I want the amazing protection that the air vest has to offer. This thing is like a gurney when inflated and will indeed help in certain situations. Nothing of course will guarantee a riders safety, too many variables.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
A few thoughts on this. If you had tried to sell me on an Air Bag; on a motorcycle of all things, two years ago? I'd have told you that you were absolutely 100% certifiably nuts! That was two years ago. Now, I have a different opinion, born of first hand experience. I think that the value of this Air Bag is that it slows you down and it stands you up in a frontal collision. Frankly that's all it needs to do to make it worthwhile in my judgement. I was in an accident about a year and a half ago. Slow speed, maybe 20 MPH, probably less, where a car pulled a U turn immediately in front of me. The car was parked at the curb in front of a large truck. Anyhow, the first I saw the car it was essentially sideways about 5 feet in front of me. I hit the car, immediately after the motorcycle hit the car, Duh! None of this is much of a surprise. But what did surprise me is that I hit the car head first. Essentially you become a human dart. The laws of physics take over and the leading point of the dart is the heaviest part . . . your head, followed shortly thereafter by the rest of you! I Broke and crushed a few vertebrae. Many (as in all) doctors told me I was: A.) Lucky to be alive and B.) Lucky to not be a quadriplegic. Not six months later a good friend was in a very similar accident. Only he was doing maybe 30 MPH. He broke and crushed pretty much the same vertebrae and in the same way . . . only a bit worse. He now is a quadriplegic. My better half's comment was that the difference between my friend and I was roughly 5 to 10 MPH. If either of us had been on a Goldwing with an Airbag, I don't think it would have been an accident without some serious injuries . . . but I do believe that neither one of us would have been launched head first into the cars that we hit. Neither of us remember anything past a WTF and reaching for the brake lever! If you think you're going to have a moment to react? Think again! Ain't so!

As for inflatable vests, and the like. Do the math folks. To inflate the vest you first have to reach the end of the tether that ties you to the bike. It's only at this point that the vest begins to inflate. Now, take the time that the supplier says it takes to inflate their vest (0.1 seconds) . . .and yup, I know it sounds really fast . . . and then calculate how far an object travels at 20 MPH in that length of time (it's 3 Feet) . . . . interesting isn't it. Now add that to the length of your tether . . . You're still traveling head first aren't you? You've already hit the car before the vest airbag was inflated sufficiently to protect your core haven't you? And where's your core in relation to your head as you're flying head first towards that car? You were only going 20 MPH! At 30 MPH half you body will be through the window of the car you hit, before this sort of a device will be doing what you bought it to do! It's a device that sounds good . . . but please, do a little math. BTW the Air Bag on the Goldwing inflates in 0.04 seconds, and it inflates when the bike hits the object, not after you reach the end of your tether. The math says you'll travel 1 foot 2 Inches and then you'll hit the Air Bag!

I bought my Goldwing BECAUSE it has an Air Bag. If Harley-Davidsons came with an Air Bag option, Honda wouldn't have made the sale!

BTW OTD April 2013: $26,379 (Included: Bike, Tags, Sales Tax (CA 9.75%), etc. etc.)
Shameless Plug:
Western Honda Motorcycles, Scottsdale, AZ 85257

Never suggested a hit air vest instead of a airbag,,, Just after being on scene of too many fatal motorcycle accidents over the last 20+ years I can testify that very few of the fatal injuries were the result of nice clean straight on impacts.. It is more often the being thrown up and over the bike or off to the side into a vehicle or a guard rail, curb or telephone pole. My record documentations would probably make you never ride anything other than an armored hummer again. that's why the math for a fatal motorcycle accident includes the " vaulting" formula to calculate the speed at impact when the body leaves the bike and becomes airborne and the scuff formula for how far the body scuffed the road surface until it came to full and final stop
. So a full set of leathers and a hit air vest or any one of the models out there is a whole lot more effective in a larger proportion of the collisions than betting your life on a straight on vertical impact and hoping you and the bike don't become separated.. so remember the airbag works great as long as you are able to stay seated in the full upright position and g forces are not strong enough to kick you over it.. I watched several of the test videos for the airbag and the vests.. combined best chance of survival individual,, one or the other,, give me the vest anytime your butt only has to come about 2 inched off the seat before the twin CO2 cartidges firs full force and also surround your neck to temp. immobilize you from neck crushing

·
Registered
482 Posts
When Honda first announced the motorcycle airbag, being part of the cruiser crowd, I laughed. But later one of my best friends T-boned a car at 30 mph, went through his Goldwing windshield, partially disemboweling him. He barely survived and struggled to return to duty after about a year, in an office capacity. As the head of our vehicular crash reconstruction unit for almost 10 years I worked many serious and/or fatal accidents including the father of one of my wife's childhood friends, when his Goldwing collided head-on into a tree, 1,000 ft after leaving his house.

So my choice when buying a Goldwing? the airbag model and I hope to never need it. And the airbag on my bike is named in honor of my friend who survived.

John

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If you have to tie yourself to the bike in order for the vest to fill with air, why not just use a seat belt, what a joke, Air bag all the way, every bike should have plus abs

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Anything that can help you cannot hurt you.

The air bag on the bike is for head on frontal collisions. It does work very well for those situations. Such as a vehicle crosses the line, slams on the brakes or pulls out in your lane of travel and you T-bone a car.

The auto inflating jackets also work very well, and the newer one I have inflates very fast. It is for those other situations where and if you were to be thrown from the bike, it puffs up like an armored armadillo and holds the buffer shield for a few seconds and then it deflates.

The first one of those I had(jacket) the sewing on the jacket came apart, and once repaired and washed it lost all its shape and waterproof qualities.

This newer one seems to be much better...........hint when you unscrew the CO-2 cartridge to wash the jacket plug the hole.......cause if not the bladder fills with water and it is a 30 minute process to roll it up and squeeze out all the water........;) Another hint always buy black jackets if you want to use them for ten years. Light colors and yeller may be more easily seen, but they sure do start looking like crap in only a couple years. Yeller fades and gray or light shows dirt and even the inner material starts to bleed through to the outer material.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
If you have to tie yourself to the bike in order for the vest to fill with air, why not just use a seat belt, what a joke, Air bag all the way, every bike should have plus abs

No Sir, that's not how it works. The tether is attached to a break away or pull out type of pin mechanism, so it is strong enough to activate the inflation of the vest/jacket and then pulls out and you are no longer attached to the bike. It's just another possible way to avoid injury............
:lol:.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts