GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Harley announced they will be selling factory trikes it doesn't take much of a leap for Honda to be thinking the same thing. There are a ton more Gold Wing trikes then Harley trikes.

G

·
While I could WISH Honda would build a trike - or partner with a major player in trike conversions, I don't believe there is much chance of it happening.

Honda signed a consent agreement 30 years ago saying they would NEVER build another 3 wheel vehicle.

There isn't as big a market for trikes as we might like to think. Consider this - the GL1800riders.com board has almost 12,000 members. In our informal trike poll, we have a total of 123 votes. That equates to 1%.

Honda, if they built a trike in their factory, would have to tool a separate assembly line that probably wouldn't need to run more than an hour a day. It just wouldn't be economically feasible.

Honda COULD partner with a major player. But most of them are months behind in production and there is no way they could devote enough resources to build trikes for Honda.

BUT - I have learned to never say "never." Maybe it will happen... Someday.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Beastie,
The meger response to the trike poll here is in direct contrast to the 25% of the parking lots at Opryland and nearby surrounding hotels were trikes. If trikes weren't the next big thing, why are all the trike manufacturers a minimum of eight weeks out for shipments? Maybe when the GL 2100 arrives there will be a trike version :wink: :lol: :wink:
Another BIG BIRD triker(Champion)
Mike

G

·
beastie said:
Honda, if they built a trike in their factory, would have to tool a separate assembly line that probably wouldn't need to run more than an hour a day. It just wouldn't be economically feasible.

Honda COULD partner with a major player. But most of them are months behind in production and there is no way they could devote enough resources to build trikes for Honda.
Its my understanding that Harley is going to have Lehman build the bikes, so in that case, Lehman is going to have to expand, and build new assembly capacity, Not Harley.
the same would go with Honda if they partenered, and then they would have to build more manufacturing capability

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
BlueWing said:
When Harley announced they will be selling factory trikes it doesn't take much of a leap for Honda to be thinking the same thing. There are a ton more Gold Wing trikes then Harley trikes.
You've read a confirmation that it'll be a factory trike, not a conversion? Last I heard they were partnering with Lehman Trikes. I.E., the same HD Trikes Lehman builds now but in HD authorized colors & logos and probably sold by HD dealers with full HD warranty.

Besides, if Honda made a trike or chose to partnered with Trike Shop, Champion, Lehman, CSC, Hannigan, Motor Trike or DFT, a large number of folks would bitch that one of the other brands is better and how Honda screwed the pooch again. :wink:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I would be upset if I had just purchased a Harley triked from a dealer. Our Harley dealer here is a MotorTrike dealer. Now these folks will be riding an aftermark add on. When they get ready to sell, aftermarket vs OEM will hurt the price IMHO. Therefore, I would not be happy to see Honda do that.

HD realizes that their target audience is getting older. The young kids lust for the crotch rockets. I suspect, unlike Honda, they are striving to retain the older riders as long as possible. They have done a tremendous amount of upgrading in the Ultra line over the last 5-6 years. Again, just my opinion.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
I agree with Whiskery...and I don't think Honda is worried at all about a few HD Lehman trikes...and I don't think Honda will be bothered AT THIS TIME...maybe way down the road when more than aging baby boomers want trikes.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I drop by my local Harley shop once in a while to drink their coffee and eat donuts if I get there early enough. They triked two HD Screaming Eagles a few weeks ago and sold both before they were finished. The service manager says they are looking into getting in trikes in a big way. Had little info on the Lehman/Harley trike deal....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts