GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some extra cargo room (occasionally) and do not want to pull a trailer. Also do not want to drill holes in the trunk for something that has little weight capacity and may (or may not) crack the trunk lid.
So I don't really want a trailer hitch but DO want a rack.

After looking at the packit rack and all of the other types of racks and mounts, I figured I would be better off with a real hitch and the rack that goes with it.

This is the hitch

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=7251&str=4

and this is the rack that goes with the hitch (according to the description)

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=7252&str=4

Is this a reasonable solution?

Is there any reason that I would want to purchase the wiring harness? I do not plan to pull a trailer.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
899 Posts
Yes

You may want to install the wiring harness,some of the rack's allow for lighting options.:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
When you put a rack on the receiver hitch, you actually are adding stress to the mount. You have put a lever arm out that is longer, where a trailer ball will only add the weight to the short lever where the ball is located.

I would recommend a receiver that is a little stronger for using a rack - and the Bushtec excels at that. Bushtec also sells a cooler rack for the receiver, and just take the cooler off, put on a bag or luggage, and you are done. This is their cooler with the cooler inside...

and this is their cooler rack with the cooler off and a Walmart bag put on in its place.....

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Harry - this is mostly to have an extra place to put rain gear, jackets, etc. We travel pretty light and no cooler. Heck, we stop way too often to need a cooler. :? Mostly for light, bulky items.

Of course, there's always a better mousetrap.

Thanks for the write-up and the pictures.

Kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts