GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys know what's the name of the coverage on the handlebar screws near to the controls?

Also, I've noticed that where the cover is missed the screws are a little bit rusty.. what's the best way to remove the rust from there? Or it is better to change them?

Pictures attached.

Thanks a lot!

Luca

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Cap, Part number 45553-MAM-A60, same one for either side, $3.95 from Babbitts Honda
Bolts, Part number 96600-06020-17, also $3.95 each from Babbitts, if you decide to replace them.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Leave bolts as is.

I have caps but postage is more than they are worth. Your local dealer can get these parts.

I usually stick these on with a bit of silicone. Liquid electrical tape works. Just something to hold them which also seals the water out to prevent further rusting.

Reactions: Luca Bandinelli

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Bolts and covers are the same from 2001-2017. Remove the bolts, clean them an paint with Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy spray paint.
Takes 2 days to completely cure but is is tough paint. I've done my side stand and center stand it they both look like new after 8 years.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Leave bolts as is.

I have caps but postage is more than they are worth. Your local dealer can get these parts.

I usually stick these on with a bit of silicone. Liquid electrical tape works. Just something to hold them which also seals the water out to prevent further rusting.
Yep, and the silicone should seal out water as a bonus.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Hmmm... And the acetic acid in the silicone will corrode the screws even more.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So..l at the end I decided to also replace the bolts.

Does anyone know if there’s a specific torque setting for the bolts to follow?

Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Maintenance manual says to install the upper bolt first, after aligning the clutch or brake reservoir, then the lower bolt, to 9 ft lbs torque. That converts to 108 inch pounds.
Directions in the upper left portion of the picture.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts