GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some stuff about what it's like to be a newbie. I sweated about whether to get a rake kit at first. Most people said one was mandatory, but a few said it was not. There was mostly discussion about the reduced effort to steer, and responses by a few saying the effort wasn't too much for them. Some said a better front tire, or risers, or Traxxion suspension made the rake kit unnecessary. My trike manufacturer said to try first without one.

So did, to see if I could handle the effort of steering. And didn't really have trouble with the amount of effort. But I gradually realized was that it wasn't so simple as that.

I didn't like the way the handlebars kicked back over bumps. It turns out a rake kit substantially reduces the kickback, which wasn't obvious to me at first. I actually thought a rake kit might make it worse, until I talked to a couple of installers. The second thing is that needing less effort to turn means you can turn more precisely. It's like loosening a tight bolt with wrenches of different length. You can loosen the bolt with the short wrench, but you have more control loosening it with the long. That's particularly noticeable to me when making a turn from a stop.

All that may be obvious to people when it's said that rake kits are like "power steering". It wasn't to this newbie. My suggestion is, that when people ask about rake kits, it might be helpful to them to go beyond "get one" and "power steering" to "It will reduce handlebar kickback over bumps, and help you steer the trike precisely where you want".

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
That is a good explanation of how to help a common problem on non-raked trikes. Short wrench--long wrench never thought of it that way. Charley p.s. Wheels does not have a rake on his trike but everyone knows he's as stout as a mule and as hard headed.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Time for the uneducated to ask. How does the rake kit on a trike move the front wheel? That is, does it change the rake to bring the front wheel closer to the bike? Or does it stretch it out more like you see on the typical rake kits sold for people that want to go more toward the modern chopper look? My wife has an Aero 750 trike and its not a bad little scoot. However, I did notice that when we go over bumps the front wheel kicks pretty violently and when we are in a sweeper it takes a considerable amount of effort to turn the bars thus in turn allowing the trike to turn and follow the road. If I know which way I need to go then I can start searching to see if anyone makes a rake kit and about how much I'll spend in the process. Also, how much of a change are we talking about?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
That is a good explanation of how to help a common problem on non-raked trikes. Short wrench--long wrench never thought of it that way. Charley p.s. Wheels does not have a rake on his trike but everyone knows he's as stout as a mule and as hard headed.
Amen,to that,,,,,:doorag:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
. . . p.s. Wheels does not have a rake on his trike but everyone knows he's as stout as a mule and as hard headed.
I'll have you know that I resemble that remark. You just wait and see just how stout and hard headed I can be when I see you in Nashville in September.:thumbup::cool:;) Ya know, I can "kick" like a mule too.

Time for the uneducated to ask. How does the rake kit on a trike move the front wheel? That is, does it change the rake to bring the front wheel closer to the bike? Or does it stretch it out more like you see on the typical rake kits sold for people that want to go more toward the modern chopper look? My wife has an Aero 750 trike and its not a bad little scoot. However, I did notice that when we go over bumps the front wheel kicks pretty violently and when we are in a sweeper it takes a considerable amount of effort to turn the bars thus in turn allowing the trike to turn and follow the road. If I know which way I need to go then I can start searching to see if anyone makes a rake kit and about how much I'll spend in the process. Also, how much of a change are we talking about?
SNRider, the guys that are rib'in me are right. I do not use a rake kit on my '01' Motor Trike. For me, and this is simply that, what works for me, I happen to like the "heavey" feel of the handle bars. I use this as a sort of leverage while riding for balance. I rode an Ulta Classic for sometime with a Champion kit on it and it was raked. Every time I hot a bump I felt like the handle bars were jumping/skipping all over the place. Very, very light. Would this be something good for your wife. May very well be. I would suggest trying to ride a few trikes, if possible, that are raked. Might be hard to compare apples with apples given that you may not find one similar to hers local. At the end of the day, it's your money and things should be the way you and your wife want them. There will be various opinions on this, but it comes down to what works for your wife and your wallet. Check who is in your area where you might be able to ride one. The rake does lengthen the wheelbase a bit, depending on kit/rake degree. Good luck with your project and congrats to your wife on her trike.

Amen,to that,,,,,:doorag:
And the crowd shouted out Hallelujah

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have the 5.5 degree Roadsmith kit. I have four bad disks in my neck. No Rake no Ride.
The rake kits put the front wheel out a little further. It is not the same as the old school HD with the long front forks. It just changes the angle of the forks by changing the triple tree. The rake kits with higher degree rake may require fork extenders. My Roadsmith came with them. This is to keep the bike level with the kit installed.
Bottom line, I can drive my bike up thru the twisties to Estes Park in Colorado and not get worn out or a sore neck. Works for me.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It leaves the steering axis part of the clamps the same, but relaxes the angle of the forks a bit (they're labeled as 3, 4.5, 5.5, 6 degree). It's not really a "rake" kit, as much as it is a "trail" kit. There is a slight change toward a chopper look, but one most people wouldn't really notice.

As with trikes, there are several manufacturers. No doubt one for your bike. There's a company that modifies your own forks, but it's not that much cheaper than a new unit, and the new ones tend to be beefier than stock, at least o a GL1800.

Figure $1000 as a ballpark.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'll have you know that I resemble that remark. You just wait and see just how stout and hard headed I can be when I see you in Nashville in September.:thumbup::cool:;) Ya know, I can "kick" like a mule too.

Wheels, Is this to say that we are going to see you in Nashville at the CBTC. I hope so, it would be my pleasure to meet you.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I am hoping to be able to make it. May not know until the last second if I can get away, but the pleasure would be all mine to be able to put a handshake on you and participate. Has been way to long since I saw some of the folks who look to be in attendance. All the best to you and hope all is well.

I told Wayne that I am on the hook for cookies.:thumbup:

·
Registered
247 Posts
you show up and I will have you a "tin" of the famous Christi's cookies. You have never had cookies till you have tasted these. Seriously, I do hope you can make it.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts