GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lovely bride and I have been casually looking for a scooter type bike for her to putt around on, and for me to get to work on instead of the Wing. We stopped in at a southern California mega-dealer that sells Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki bikes, figuring that we could check all makes and models in one spot. We did look at the Burgman and Yamaha's (I can't remember the model name) scooters, but they didn't have a Silverwing in stock. As we were getting ready to leave, I spot this red bike calling my name. I go over closer, and sure enough, it's a '97 Pacific Coast with a tick under 19,000 miles on the clock. Their asking price is $4999. My wife suggested that since she felt the 650cc scooters felt a little big to her, and she really didn't care for how the others looked, and since I would be using it for commuting to work also, why didn't I just buy the PC? Really, she did. Well, I make it a point to never buy something on impulse, so I didn't. But it sure is tempting.

So I'm asking for advise from all my sage friends here. Is that a good, poor, mediocre, or screaming deal, and do you think a PC would be a good commuter bike for me?

edited because it's late and I couldn't spell. :D

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I had an 89 PC before my 1800. I have no intention of ever selling it because it fullfilled so many different criteria of a motorcycle: peppy, flickable, good wind protection, big seats, ample storage, and pretty good milage. I sold it when I got the wing because I didn't need both. I would like one just to go to and from work, but that is just .5 miles, so I have not bothered.
I think the asking price is not too far off from what I see them go for on eBay. Offer them $4200. I paid ~$3000 for my 89 in 99 w/ 12k miles. 97/98 were supposed to be better than previous years.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Trade-in value is $2765, Retail value is $4030.

Run, don't walk, from this deal. If they go down to $3400, take it then, and only then.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I don't know about the price, but the PC is a great bike. They didn't sell well in the first offering because of the looks. If you ever ride one you will like it, especially for the purpose you mention.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My wife and I are going thru the same rationalization ourselves.... :?
I'm not crazy about the scooters and I'm kinda wanting something to commute on besides our Wing. She wants to learn to ride....
Anyway, we looked at one of these this weekend:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/Pr ... n=OVERVIEW

I was amazed at how light it felt even though its a pretty good sized bike. Good reviews from what I can find on the net and seems like alot of bike for the money. For about the price of a new scooter, this bike is about the same. It is a "tall" bike, but she liked the feel of it and is willing to learn to take the MSF course to learn to ride. Like you guys, we don't do the impulse thing either, but it sure was tempting.
As far as the PC goes, its not something I would really want to consider, but each his own.....

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, my wife (never the shrinking violet, and ever the bargain hunter) had the presence of mind to ask how long the bike had been on the floor. Two weeks. Maybe they'll take less. :lol: It does have brand new tires on it, and they said they flushed the brake and clutch systems and serviced it. If I get serious about it, I'll drive back down there with a helmet and make them take it outside for a spin. In the mean time, I'd still like whatever comments you guys have for perspective.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I showed my co-rider a scooters, she hemmed and hawed.

I showed her a Rebel, she lifted her nose in disgust.

I showed my co-rider the M109R, she saw beauty, but was afraid, and hemmed and hawed.

I put her on a VTX1300, after she felt how light it was; she is going to take her MSF course right after her heart operation she liked it so much!

You never know what she will like, but I guarantee you one lesson to learn is that Women (I am not a sexist pig) know what they like and often do not know what they do not like. They hem, they haw, they may even attack with vitriol (!) Let your wife decide, and watch carefully for the tell tale signs of commitment!

·
Registered
911 Posts
PC

My wife rides an 89 PC...she loves it !!...but is thinking about moving up to a wing...good luck whatever you do !!...ride safe...

Scott

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I really wish Honda still made the PC800. It is supposed to be a great second bike and light enough for my wife to ride.

Anybody know what kind of gas mileage it gets?

·
Registered
19,055 Posts
Have them knock off $500 and go for it if it's in PERFECT shape,it is a 11 year old discontinued model.

·
Registered
223 Posts
:DDuane and Peg..... The honda Pacific is a terrific bike and I can't see you going wrong in getting it.As Peggie is the bargan hunter of you both, see if they will come down to the going retail,or less.

From what I have seen of them they will soon be collectors items and you might find parts to be harder and harder to obtain when needed.

I personally don't understand why Mother Honda discontinued them in the first place.They seem very practical with the way they are ..anyway good luck with what ever you decide.........You know you want it ...Get it..

Just a gut feeling hehehe,,,Like Dave says.

·
Registered
19,055 Posts
they discontinued them because they sold poorly

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
DON'T DO IT !!!......ooops Duane....I couldn't resist my friend to the south......you said in your title...someone tell me not to do it !!!!!.......Just kidding,,,if it is a good deal ,,go for it !!!..have you looked on Craigslist ???

·
Registered
203 Posts
The PC is comfortable, quiet, and has decent protection. It is NOT a fast bike and has trouble doing 80+ MPH.

It IS kind of a Silverwing/almost a scooter.

To the guy looking at a DL650. Make sure your wife is 5'7" or taller or she will be dropping it often.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I had a DL650. It is a great handling bike, but let it get a little out of balance and it is heavy enough that you wife will not be able to hold it up. I almost dropped it a couple times in the garage and in parking lots until I got used to it.

I cannot imagine how a Burgman 650 could feel big for her and the Vstrom would not. The Vstrom is bigger in every way.

I just bought a 03 Burgman 650 on Craigslist for $3995, 6800 miles and two more years extended warranty. My wife wanted something to run errands on. Her choices came down to a cruiser or a scooter. She passed on the cruisers because she wanted storage space. That left the scooters. She didn't like the little ones because we have big hills and she may need to run an occasional freeway. Which then left us to the big scoots and the two Burgman's have huge underseat storage. Four bags of groceries.

In the showroom she thought the Burgman 650 was too big, but the 400 felt good. It does feel significantly lighter. I just didn't like the feel of its front suspension. Felt a little too springy. Then, we saw the 07 400. Much better. Has a bigger wheels than 06, the suspension feels much better, and dual disks up front. So I was all lined up to get her an 07.

Then, the ad for the 650 showed up. I took her to another dealership to look at one. This one had some room around the bike so we could take it off the stand and she could push it around. Had her tip it from side to side. She decided it felt good so we went to look at the Craigslist scooter, bought it and rode it home 2 up at 80 mph.

Now, then we have about 500 miles on it, I am convinced that as long as the bike fits, the 650 is a great choice. The unique thing about the 650 is its electronic transmission. It is the only scooter that has engine braking. The 400 has more than enough power, but it has the centifugal clutch that is typical on scooters. The 650 transmission keeps the engine right in the middle of the power band and you get get instant throttle response at any speed.

On the way back home with the Burgman we had to go through about 5 miles of bumper to bumper traffic at the Del Mar race track so I got to experience the Burgman as a lane splitter. WoW!! I found it was effortless. First, the 650's mirrors can be tucked in, then with the left hand controlling the rear brake and the right handling the throttle, the Burgman's transmission took care of the rest. If I needed to slow the instant I let off on the throttle the engine braking, which is as strong as the Vstrom I had, would bring the speed down. If I needed more, a slight touch on the left brake would do the rest, then as a space opened up, a slight twist of the throttle and the Burgman would shoot forward. In all of this I felt completely comfortable and in control and I had only been on the bike for 15 miles.

If commuting also means traffic, as it does where I live, these scoots are the ultimate commuter. I have run the Goldwing through traffic like this and it is exhausting. Part of it is the width, of course, which often makes it impossible to lane split as the cages won't ride in the center of their lane. But, having to handle braking and shifting with the feet and be ready to put your feet down, without having time to shift to 1st if it is necessary for a momentary full stop, just keeps me constantly busy and on high alert such that I generally avoid it.

So now if my wife and I are taking a short local ride for dinner and have to fight traffic we will take the Burgman. She is taking the MSF course and will not be riding outside the parking lot until she has completed that.

And I would be remiss if I did not mention that this Burgman is a blast to ride. It is extremely quick. Not overpowering quick, just quick. You twist that throttle at a light and the revs go up and park at 4000 or 6000 depending on whether you punched the Power button. The revs don't change as the speed increases. The Contant Variable Transmission changes and without you feeling it the bike is over 60 mph before you can think about it. I find I have to watch my speed on the Burgman, otherwise, I will be riding much faster than on my Wing. There is plently left when cruising with traffic at the typical 80 on the freeway as well. With a little experience, your wife will have no problem hanging with you on your Wing.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
The Burgman is easily the most impressive and high tech of all the scooters available. It is more like a motorcycle than a scooter.

I have only two beefs with it. My wife is 5'3". Since the floorboards force your legs out further than with a normal bike, my wife could barely touch both toes on the ground. And there isn't much room to shave the seat. The 400 fits her, but is more like a normal scooter and not nearly as refined.

Secondly, I don't care for the extreme engine braking. I think it is excessive. They should have programmed in a little more slippage. If I want to brake that hard, I would rather use the brakes.

Back to the PC800. I find it hard to believe 80mph is a struggle. A friend of mine has a puny little 250cc Reflex, and it will do 70mph. Any 800cc bike should be able to do 100mph with ease. I have never ridden the PC, so I am just guessing.

G

·
0 Posts
I had a Pacific Coast and found it to be comfortable (I'm 6' 2", 230), practical (although the saddlebags don't hold nearly as much as you would think), extraordinarily low maintenance, and very smooth.

My only complaints were that it was relatively gutless and had an almost total lack of after-market support.

I've also owned a Helix Scooter which has been the most comfortable single-track vehicle I've ever owned.

My 2¢.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Don't get the PC! Its under powered for a 800cc bike

Get the Burgman AN650! With a Givi E-52 top box you'll have a total of 108 liters (GL1800 has 145 liters) of secured storage plus three glove boxes. I had one for 3.5 years and it will be sorely missed. The Burgman is a big twin stock Harley's worse nightmare! Top speed is between 110 to 120 mph.

As for the engine braking, just add a little throttle as you slow down, before long you'll appreciate it.

The Burgman AN650 after 6K miles will deliver an average of 53 mpg, all you have to do is twist and go. If I had more room in the garage I'd buy the Burgman AN650 Executive as a 2nd bike.

Its the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles, because it does so many things so well.

The stock windshield is worthless. The Clear View windshield is the best over the Givi.

There are great deals on used ones now, in Okeecho FL a brand new one goes for $6,800 OTD. Tires can last about 15K miles on the rear and cost less than $40 online. Servicing the Burgman yourself is a snap, especially after we show/send you how to photos at: [email protected]

The Burgman is easy to clean and cheap to insure, about $70 a year full coverage as a second bike through Progressive Insurance co.

·
Registered
184 Posts
FWIW - my best friend who got me into riding by giving me his CX500 Custom 12 years ago has had a PC800 since. He's gone everywhere on it, twp up with the addition of the backrest. I rode the bike and it was a blast. I didn't like the looks either, but the practicality? The engine has been bulletproof for him. He's changed the oil, tires and battery and that has been it on the bike in twelve years. He's put around 50K on it which I know doesn't make him a high miler, but his work schedule is ridiculous. He's been through PA three times, Nova Scotia and PEI I believe three maybe four times and does one "major" trip a year. The bike has been nothing but reliable with the mentioned normal maintenance. It isn't a sport bike and if you ride it without that expectation, it sure seemed fast and quick enough to me. He loves it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts