GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody who is familiar with the solenoids on the GL1500 please call me at 765-584-7848 ...trying to help a friend who has a 1994 GL1500 trike. The starter kept running after he released the starter button and he was smart enough to disconnect the battery. Now I'd like to help him replace the solenoids (2 ?). I'm familiar with the double solenoids on the GL1800 ... I replaced mine ... not familiar with the 1500. Please call for phone conversation if you know about this.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Somebody who is familiar with the solenoids on the GL1500 please call me at 765-584-7848 ...trying to help a friend who has a 1994 GL1500 trike. The starter kept running after he released the starter button and he was smart enough to disconnect the battery. Now I'd like to help him replace the solenoids (2 ?). I'm familiar with the double solenoids on the GL1800 ... I replaced mine ... not familiar with the 1500. Please call for phone conversation if you know about this.
Same issue. Replace both the start and reverse relays. They are back by or behind the battery if I remember right.

·
Registered
646 Posts
A sticking (welded) relay can definitely do that, but on my 1500, I had that problem, and it was actually the starter button sticking. Easy fix.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Can't call ATM, but...

There's 2 starter Relays on the GL1500...

Most often what you're seeing is from Starter Relay A -- the big sucker just forward of the battery (look behind the top of that large dogbone fuse container to the right of the battery). There SHOULD NOT be any continuity between the two large posts, unless you're trying to start the bike. When this "Starter Relay A" shorts, it will automatically energize the other relay (Starter Relay B) cranking the starter.
Disconnecting the snap-in connector off of this relay (A) will ensure that the "Start/Reverse" button is not causing the realy to pull-in and crank your bike (as happened to OregonWinger). This is a red connector into a green plug on the solenoid...​

Important concept here is that BOTH of these starter Relays (A & B ) will need to be pulled-in (or failed and shorted) for the starter to receive battery power to crank the bike.
A schematic of your starter system (relays show near bottom-left above battery; "A" is immediately above the battery in this illustration) Click to enlarge:
x27043_211042_380000000.jpg.pagespeed.ic.qP7BMVAy8_.jpg
FWIW, though not often the trouble with a run-on starter, Starter Relay B on your '94 will be forward of the frame member forward of the battery along the bottom rail of the frame. (kinda below and rearward from the oil fill hole). Similarly, the larger connectors should have no continuity with no switching signal applied.

Adding a FOOTNOTE here -- The location of the two solenoids and the starter itself are different for the first-few years of production on the GL1500 -- the '88 & '89 use a 2-post starter, where '90+ uses a single post starter with the solenoids BOTH in series on the positive starter/battery cable. If you're web-searching, be sure that you're looking at information for a GL1500 in the '90's !!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts