GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to the shop that has changed my PA3 out in the past. I had already taken the tire off the bike as he told me he would not but would change it on the bike but would if I brought it in. He had an employee that was shaking his head no as I walked up. He was wearing a First Coast Honda shirt on and began by berating me for using a car tire and the danger I was putting myself and others in. I told him I had over the 50,000 miles of use all over the country and in the mountains I have had no troubles. I gave the tire to the owner then told him to not balance it as I was installing Dynabeads. Boy that set this other guy off again. "I have worked in the field for over 40 years and dynabeads are a scam. Might as well use golf balls as the truckers do" I told him I could not speak on experience here as this is my first time using them but a lot of reading from those on this board a couple other mechanics stand by them. I don't think golf balls is the route to go on a wing.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
There's an independent mc repair shop here that really could use the business($$), but they refused to mount my tire, and tried to spout off all the usual BS that we hear; so I just went to a very successful car repair/ tire store a couple of blocks away and let them take my money! This is America and no one has to mount my tire, but I was trying to help the little guy out. And was going to try to channel them some business...... Oh well, not now.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
It always amazes me how people who don't now nothin on the subject are experts, when those who have logged thousands upon thousands of safe miles are crazy!

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
While in Daytona I stopped one of the vendors on main drag selling the heated clothing,, believe it was the first gear or something like that.. no wires.. anyway He had his off road triumph in the tent showing it off. I made the mistake asking if he had considered a runflat CT for his more off road adventures for the added safety.. OMG You would have thought I had just accused Walt Disney of being a terrorist. He was o verge of spitting his words out he was so incensed about my crazy dangerous car tire words

Too bad he was such an idiot.. I really liked that new heated fiber clothing. Had my credit card out to buy the entire set. to replace my aging gerbings

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,877 Posts
This happened to me a few years ago. A Goldwing mechanic began to tell me all the bad stuff about the CT. Finally I stopped him and ask,"do you have any riding experience with a CT"? His answer was no. I told him, the only thing he knew was what he had read or been told. Until he had some personal experience he did not know what he was talking about.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
This happened to me a few years ago. A Goldwing mechanic began to tell me all the bad stuff about the CT. Finally I stopped him and ask,"do you have any riding experience with a CT"? His answer was no. I told him, the only thing he knew was what he had read or been told. Until he had some personal experience he did not know what he was talking about.
I got to admit, that sounds a lot better than " shut up you don't know diddly squat"!:coffee1:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
You should have asked the owner if they had any BT-45s and you would bring the front rim in a couple of hours. :lol:

·
Registered
831 Posts
mounting and installing the car tire

In Cleveland Ohio, the place that did install my car tire on the rear on my Goldwing(http://cycle-analysis.net/) will No longer do this.. I was told by a person
that went there because I had mine installed there..For some reason they are now afraid that to install a dangerous car tire will result
in going to court....

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
In Cleveland Ohio, the place that did install my car tire on the rear on my Goldwing(http://cycle-analysis.net/) will No longer do this.. I was told by a person
that went there because I had mine installed there..For some reason they are now afraid that to install a dangerous car tire will result
in going to court....

I should think that in a city the size of Cleveland that there would be more than one tire/rim shop that sells those big 20" chrome rims and they lever those almost no sidewall tires on them. Can't imagine one of those shops being concerned about mounting something that is not the norm. And they wouldn't scratch the rim, probably.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I mount and balance my own Alpin ROFs (and G709's). I'm happy with the results, even if I get a few scratches on my rims. Out of kindness, I always beep and wave when I drive by the " Tire Nazis". They won????? John

·
Vendor
17,397 Posts
When I worked for Firestone and Goodyear, we were allowed to mount such things on the rim but not on the vehicle. It had to do with liability. Especially in a case of mounting a car tire on a m/c ... in court, a judge would look at you and say, "you did what." Even he'd know why ... because they are made for a car. In court, a judge expects a professional to make professional decisions and those professionals are held to a high standard. An example I specifically remember was a guy who owned a Pantera. The tires he wanted and ordered through me at the GY store were not legal here. Maybe they where the ones used in Europe. I can't remember ... the reason we could not mount the tire assembly on the car was because they did not have the DOT stamp on the sidewall. Any legitimate tire store or m/c shop would say no to mounting a car tire on a m/c. Just like any car shop would say no to mounting m/c tires on a car ... after all, in both cases it ... well, never mind, you guys know how I feel about it.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
When I worked for Firestone and Goodyear, we were allowed to mount such things on the rim but not on the vehicle. It had to do with liability. Especially in a case of mounting a car tire on a m/c ... in court, a judge would look at you and say, "you did what." Even he'd know why ... because they are made for a car. In court, a judge expects a professional to make professional decisions and those professionals are held to a high standard. An example I specifically remember was a guy who owned a Pantera. The tires he wanted and ordered through me at the GY store were not legal here. Maybe they where the ones used in Europe. I can't remember ... the reason we could not mount the tire assembly on the car was because they did not have the DOT stamp on the sidewall. Any legitimate tire store or m/c shop would say no to mounting a car tire on a m/c. Just like any car shop would say no to mounting m/c tires on a car ... after all, in both cases it ... well, never mind, you guys know how I feel about it.
Yes we all know how you "feel" by now. Many of us do this because of what we "know" and not just feelings.

The tire I use doesn't say CAR on it or MOTORCYCLE on it. It's for a great big heavy Goldwing that rides and handles better than with the OEM tire that it had on it 40,000 miles ago. Drove in rain today. Oh how I know how much I like my RF Goldwing tire.

·
IronMan
17,453 Posts
:roll::roll::roll::agree::agree::agree:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I hade my Alpin mounted at Town Fair Tire at no cost- they couldn't adapt to their balancing machine but i'll do the balancing elsewhere... They wondered what the rim was for... I advised that it was a custom trailer tire.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Yes we all know how you "feel" by now. Many of us do this because of what we "know" and not just feelings.

The tire I use doesn't say CAR on it or MOTORCYCLE on it. It's for a great big heavy Goldwing that rides and handles better than with the OEM tire that it had on it 40,000 miles ago. Drove in rain today. Oh how I know how much I like my RF Goldwing tire.
Also agree . Know for myself after many,many miles of feeling the subtle differences .

·
Registered
19,164 Posts

Also agree . Know for myself after many,many miles of feeling the subtle differences .
:agree::agree::agree::biker::biker::biker:

B

·
0 Posts
Try Hanks Cycle in Yulee on Main Street (US17). It's about a 40 mile trip from Arlington. He mounted my Kumho a couple months back. He's running an Elite 3 and when that wears out, he's going to try the Kumho. He's darksided before!

·
Registered
879 Posts
50,000 plus miles and never a problem on the smoothest riding motorcycle tires on the road! :bow:CT'S:bow:

·
Registered
75 Posts
gwgreg

Read post#5,just cause you read it somewhere doesn't make you an expert on the subject. Oh thats right it was on the internet so it has to be right. Another troll blown smoke!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I now I am new on this site but I like to change my own tires also. Got tired of the shops always saying can not do it unless you buy tire here. Went to harbor fright and bought a motorcycle tire changer. Yes there back. For about 90 to 100 dollars you can start doing it yourself. I also use Rim Protectors you can get almost any motorcycle store.

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-tire-changer-attachment-60810.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-tire-changer-69686.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKfbk2MVG8g

1 - 20 of 60 Posts