GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and didn't see this anywhere so I thought I'd share it. I have a TomTom XL 340S. This model is a few years old and you can pick them up on eBay easily for around $25. They are an easy to use "no frills" unit, with the basics. At any rate if you have one and hook it up to your computer, you can go into your computer file explorer and access the files on the TomTom. I then installed a neat little program that has been around for a while and I've used for a few years: TripMaster (it's free, but I made a small donation through PayPal because I liked it). If you have updated the TomTom to the newest software, you also need to download the additional free TripMaster update, which is on the same page as the TripMaster.

Here it is:
ecran_nuit_avec_gps_uk.jpg

Here are a few of things it displays:
valeurs_uk.jpg

You can change the colors and setup of the display but it will show you your altitude, speed, direction, time of travel, miles traveled and has travel logs which you can activate...it'll do lots of need things. I liked the colors below and this is what I use:
ecran_nuit_avec_gps.jpg

I have a level 2, so I have built-in GPS on my bike and in the central USA don't seem to have to many issues with it. With my TomTom, this program lets me see how fast I'm really going and has a lot of other nice functions.

I'm sure someone has posted something on this before, but thought some may like the information. Ride safe and try to stay cool!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I've been thinking about adding a second GPS and this looks like it could work well. I looked at ebay and amazon and I couldn't find any as cheap as $25. New ones are over $100 and used ones are over $50.
ICTGhost, we live only about 50 miles apart.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been thinking about adding a second GPS and this looks like it could work well. I looked at ebay and amazon and I couldn't find any as cheap as $25. New ones are over $100 and used ones are over $50.
ICTGhost, we live only about 50 miles apart.
tberger53 - You may have to look a little bit. I bought mine on eBay last week for $31, with shipping. It didn't have a box or anything but a DC cord, but that was all I needed. Good luck!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im sure this is a stupid question but after the new files are installed can you still use the map functions.
Jerry
Yes, the GPS works just like before. You will have another option added that's titled "TripMaster3.1" (with a neat little icon). If you activate it, it will start the program. You can even still run the GPS in the background. TripMaster is just an added program/feature that doesn't effect the unit unless it's running and on-screen. I also have a TomTom 550, which TripMaster will not work on...wish it did though.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Garmin already has most of this stuff installed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Garmin already has most of this stuff installed.
Good to know. I've never owned a Garmin, other than the Goldwing unit, but will have to look into that. I ended up going the TomTom route a few years ago and recently bought another because of the "cheap" factor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been looking for a cheap gps for the wing and strom. I just won an ebay auction for one.:lol::lol: So may need to pm you if I have problems with the download of tripmaster if that would be ok??

Thanks for the tip.

Jerry

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been looking for a cheap gps for the wing and strom. I just won an ebay auction for one.:lol::lol: So may need to pm you if I have problems with the download of tripmaster if that would be ok??

Thanks for the tip.

Jerry
Sure Jerry,
When you get it, install "TomTom Home" software on your PC. You can get it here if you don't have it: TomTom Home
After the install, hook up your TomTom and it will have you backup the unit, then update anything it needs. Once your updated, you'll be ready to download and install TripMaster. There are screen shots on the website that should guild you through it and basically, you're just transferring (unzipping) the files from your PC to the TomTom. If your TomTom is updated properly, you will need that second file downloaded from TripMaster to make it work properly, but that is just another 1-minute step.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I also found a novel use for my GPS unit ...

... happens to be a Garmin but it'll work on about any unit.

I simply enter a destination to my son's home in Indianapolis (west of here) then head east to my Mom's in Ohio ... after changing the language to Japanese. Boy does that little gal in there get frustrated !!! :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ..... :biker:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also found a novel use for my GPS unit ...

... happens to be a Garmin but it'll work on about any unit.

I simply enter a destination to my son's home in Indianapolis (west of here) then head east to my Mom's in Ohio ... after changing the language to Japanese. Boy does that little gal in there get frustrated !!! :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ..... :biker:
I downloaded a free version of Ozzie Osborn. OMG! My wife and I crack up and make wrong turns on purpose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts