GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backing out of my shop today I noticed a chattering in reverse like gear slippage. Going downhill it seemed to overrun and chatter. I disengaged reverse and reengaged a couple of times and it seemed to work properly. WTH?

Robert.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I find when my reverse fails to engage cleanly and chatters I remove the right cover over the dipstick and lube the two springs on the reverse plate with either a dry lube or a good silicon spray and it works better until I ride in rain again. I try and make it a habit to lube those springs every month.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Your reverse cables probably need adjusting.
I agree, the reverse cable needs to be tight enough when it’s in reverse to lift the tab on the lost motion plate. This applies spring pressure to the mechanics to force them completely into reverse and keep the gears meshed. Stop immediately when it chatters, that chatter is the reverse gear’s teeth rounding off.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Is this something that needs to be taken care of by warranty?

Robert
If purchased new from the dealer I would return and put in in service department and write it up. Most dealers will take care of this and yes my vote for warranty. Even if it is a maintenance side can't be to bad .

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
year and mileage ???

Probably not, "inspecting reverse operation" is required every 8,000 miles according to the maintenance schedule in your Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
year and mileage ???

Probably not, "inspecting reverse operation" is required every 8,000 miles according to the maintenance schedule in your Owner's Manual.
2016, 12,000.

Robert

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
2016, 12,000.

Robert
Especially since cables stretch most when newer, your adjustment is 4,000 pass do. If that was over looked, recheck the maintenance schedule and be sure to check any other systems that possibly got over looked too.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Yes it’s possible that the cables need adjusting but I would say it’s far more likely that if you lube the mechanism at every oil change it will never happen again, at least that’s the way it has worked for me.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Especially since cables stretch most when newer, your adjustment is 4,000 pass do. If that was over looked, recheck the maintenance schedule and be sure to check any other systems that possibly got over looked too.
I received no records so I am assuming nothing but oil change was done. Is there a procedure written up somewhere? I have been unable to find a service manual for a 2016 model anywhere.

Robert

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
I received no records so I am assuming nothing but oil change was done. Is there a procedure written up somewhere? I have been unable to find a service manual for a 2016 model anywhere.

Robert
In the 2nd pixs, with a flash-light and one of those quarter-sizes mirrors, I insert the mirror at the end of the arrow and look at the gap from there. Adjust the cables until you have a gap. Rarely does one need to check the adjustment at the reverse shift actuator. Concentrate your efforts at establishing a gap at the reverse shift drum.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In the 2nd pixs, with a flash-light and one of those quarter-sizes mirrors, I insert the mirror at the end of the arrow and look at the gap from there. Adjust the cables until you have a gap.
Beautiful, just what I needed, Thank you.

Robert

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I looked over everything and I do have a sight clearance between the reverse arm and the lost motion plate. I watched the clearance appear while operating the reverse button by laying on the ground and looking up. I guess I will give the springs a spritz with some silicone.
Are Honda cables nylon/Teflon lined like BMW? On those, you are NOT supposed to get any lube on them as it will deteriorate the liner. Hopefully, this is just an aberration and a one time thing.

Robert

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts