GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got home yesterday from a six hour ride, I found this on the wheel. In the picture it looks like chocolate, however, it is not and it looks like oil but it has solidified. I had just cleaned those wheels a few days earlier and I am sure it was not there when we left. I can't seem to find anything leaking. Any ideas on what this may be? thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Is it possible you hit a bird?

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Maybe that tar snake you ran over wasn't tar?:shrug:

·
Vendor
18,104 Posts
Yeaup ... an Alkida bird. Lots of them in the mountains. They gather in groups and finally one will give up its life in hopes of taking yours.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
possibly bearing grease from the front wheel? You could have a bearing going bad and it is heating up the grease causing it to run out past the seal and then solidify. Does it feel like grease?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't remember hitting anything or even coming close and don't think there was any road debris that could have caused it. It could be grease as there appears to be a little showing up towards the front axle, however, it does not feel like grease.

I am limited mechanically so I think I will run it out to my dealer for their opinion.

Thanks for your responses!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Taste it. If it is sweet must be you went past the DQ.

If bitter, your guess is as good as mine, but I would not taste it if it is bitter. :lol:

·
Registered
75 Posts
It does look sort of edible. You could try soaking it in hydrogen peroxide to see if that lifts it off.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I'm thinking residual from leaking underwear after hitting a curve a little hot! :wrong: :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Dat look like blood, not chocolate.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Wheel

While you're cleaning that off, polish that wheel. It looks very pitted. Do you live in a saltwater climate?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Jefferson City MO. No salt water around there.

·
Registered
245 Posts
While you were parked at the RTE, your wheel was pointed to the left, and leaning, leaving just the right angle for an object or mass falling vertically to hit that spot inside the spoke. A bird in the shade tree you were parked under, had been eating poke sally berries, and decided it was time to relieve him/herself. The purple colored stuff is the poke sally berries, and the white is....well.....some other part of the poop.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts