GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached is a portion of an article from todays paper. The story is about a woman who was bike riding, she wore a helmet, and was hit by a car. Her friend saved her life by noticing that her helmet strap had cut off her breathing and quickly undid it.

That might be something to look for if you ever come across a motorcycle accident (or bicycle accident for that matter)..

P.S. This has nothing to do with wearing helmets or not wearing helmets.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I suspect that her helmet wasn't on properly or maybe not tightened. Probably slid back behind her head and that's what caused the restriction. I don't think this kind of restriction is even possible with a 3/4 or full face helmet.

The reason I mention this is potentially worse damage by removing or attempting to remove the helmet of an accident victim. It may not hurt to loosen the strap, but be very careful.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rastoff said:
I suspect that her helmet wasn't on properly or maybe not tightened. Probably slid back behind her head and that's what caused the restriction. I don't think this kind of restriction is even possible with a 3/4 or full face helmet.

The reason I mention this is potentially worse damage by removing or attempting to remove the helmet of an accident victim. It may not hurt to loosen the strap, but be very careful.
I have seen photos of every helmet type made turned upside down and side ways on a human head. I wouldn't underestimate what happens in an accident.

I hope her friend properly chastised her first for the loose helmet before she loosened the strap. LOL.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I worked an accident where luckily a firemen first on the scene noticed that the strap was cutting off her breathing so he undid it. If they aren't getting any air it has to be undone and not worry about it. You don't have to take the helmet off just let em breath. This can happen to you even if you did have your helmet properly fastened. Hal is right, strange things can happen in an accident. Glad you brought this to people attention.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts