GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sick and tired of listening to my playlist over and over while out on a ride. I go out all day on sunday's and travel a minimum of 300 miles on that day. I don't want to look for different radio stations in every state so I just made a play list. I am now thinking of listening to audiobooks.

My question is this. Is there a good source where I can get free audio books to load on a memory stick that I can plug in the trunk and enjoy on my travels? I have a couple of books in mind, In Cold Blood by Truman Capote and To Kill a Mockingbird. I am a huge James Patterson fan also. Being new to audiobooks I have no idea where to look. I tried Amazon but they are like $20 a book, and Itunes are around $17. I was going to the library in my town to see if this possible. What say you?

·
Registered
23 Posts
https://librivox.org

Volunteers read books that are in the public domain. For example, the original Tarzan novel. You can download them to your flash drive for your Goldwing audio system.

Tommy

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Listening

I am sick and tired of listening to my playlist over and over while out on a ride. I go out all day on sunday's and travel a minimum of 300 miles on that day. I don't want to look for different radio stations in every state so I just made a play list. I am now thinking of listening to audiobooks.

My question is this. Is there a good source where I can get free audio books to load on a memory stick that I can plug in the trunk and enjoy on my travels? I have a couple of books in mind, In Cold Blood by Truman Capote and To Kill a Mockingbird. I am a huge James Patterson fan also. Being new to audiobooks I have no idea where to look. I tried Amazon but they are like $20 a book, and Itunes are around $17. I was going to the library in my town to see if this possible. What say you?
I would suggest subscribing to Google Play All Access at $10 / month and you can listen to several million songs for no extra charge. I keep about 150 hours of music on the SD card in my phone so I am not dependent on an Internet connection while I ride. I also listen to Audible books while riding, but most of the time I listen to music.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Also check out Spotify. They have a huge collection of music as well as podcasts. For the $10/month you can download your playlists or podcasts to your phone.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You might look at these two apps. They are for checking out digital media from your public library, you need a library card. The apps are, Libby or Hoopla. I think my wife liked the Libby app better than Hoopla. We found them on Google Play. YMMMV

·
Registered
7,562 Posts

Here they are available from the library.

·
Vendor
17,813 Posts
The problem with playlists are that they require constant adding and deleting and making new ones, and finding time to do that has always been a problem for me. However, recently, I subscribed to Apple Music for $9.99/mth. I'll tell Suri to play me my radio station, and music will start playing. When I hear a song I like or don't like, I tell Suri, who remembers ... "hey Suri, I like that song." After about 3-4 weeks of doing this, a custom radio station is created just for me of the music that I like most.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to my library and they have a couple books that I am interested in listening to. They come in cd form. I do not have a cd player on my bike.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Can you load them in your computer and save to a jump drive?

:thumbup:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Took the words right out of my mouth!!

Rayjoe

Oh yes, for sure, local libraries have thousands of audio books. Just get the authors you enjoy, check out the CD, put it on mp3, mp4, or whatever conversion you want. Enjoyment for many rides. I found the sound was not loud enough on the road, so I got the Boostaroo, plug and play kind of thing, I'm sure Amazon has them. Price is very right, all it takes is a little time.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I have an iPod with approximately 1,800 songs to date. I can make a cross-country trip and not hear the same song twice.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have an iPod with approximately 1,800 songs to date. I can make a cross-country trip and not hear the same song twice.
Similar here. I have over 1500 songs on my MP3 player.
Put it on shuffle play and never hear the same thing twice....
and NO commercials! And better sound quality than the
compressed lo-fi that FM stations transmit.

Reactions: wingman05

·
Registered
972 Posts
Download Overdrive, get library card, and download thousands of audio books. No cd, no fuss, no muss. You can even do it while traveling.

Oh yeah. Its free.Can't beat that!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know you asked for something "free" for audio books and this suggestion is not free. But the cost to you could be as little as $9.56 per title if you are willing to pay for the read. If the book is 13 hours long that's about a day and a half's worth of audio and its a title you would like since there is a wide selection (about 75 cents per hour).

I started using Audible (www.audible.com) in 2009 so that I would be able to listen to books via my Garmin device on trips and, well anytime I had the GPS with me. Sometime, in the last five or so years, it was acquired by Amazon. The prices have gone up a little but, depending on how may books you want to listen during a year, the price per book can range from $9.56 per title (24 titles a year) or $12.46 for 12 titles a year. You also get a discount from the list price as a "member".

The website says you exchange audio books you don't like but I have never done that so I cannot say how it works.

My current library has about 300 titles in it, so that would work out to 30 books per year, more or less, I have listened to. And yes I know the math for 12 and 24 titles per year means I have actually paid for some books and not used the "credits" in my account but that occurred when the book's price to me was less than the value of the "credit" I have from membership. (For instance Starship Troopers price to me would be $9.95 while the list price is $20.97. So if you have the 12 titles a year membership it would be cheaper to actually buy it then use a credit).

Since I use the books on my Garmin device, I cannot say how it would work for you but I have to believe there is a way to download it to sometime like iTunes and play it that way (well I know they say you can but I have never done that so.....).

This page shows the ways you can listen. I have never tried them (except for as I said above using my Garmin device).

https://www.audible.com/howtolisten...05-7ac4ced6520d&pf_rd_r=7XVRT7071NZVJ8SAKTAK&

Just one more idea.

I switched to Audible when XM stopped playing books on one of its channels. That was free although you did not get to listen to a full book. They played it in segments day by day. But it still worked and since I missed it, I switched to Audible.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Spotify through my audio system

Also check out Spotify. They have a huge collection of music as well as podcasts. For the $10/month you can download your playlists or podcasts to your phone.

I subscribe to Spotify already, how can I stream it from my phone into my Goldwing audio system? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Wingstuff probably has the EC 3.5mm to 5 pin DIN connector

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Tried the audio books once...………………...only once. For me it's like watching nails rust. I used an MP3 for a while, but like you, got tired of the same songs on a loop. Hence the reason I went with SiriusXM. Select a channel and leave it until I don't want to listen to that channel anymore, then switch. Of course, it's not free, but it cures the channel search problems when traveling from town to town.

Good luck with you search.

Reactions: JayB
1 - 20 of 34 Posts