GL1800Riders Forums banner

Something to Ponder

5K views 50 replies 34 participants last post by  bmoore106 
LarryM said:
I read through that list of things to be grateful for and I realize that the author of this is a perfect example of part of the problem. While this person can afford all these things, he is obviously not aware of the millions of people who can't afford to do those things.

It is great that this author can celebrate riding from coast to coast and back. Unfortunately, many Americans can no longer do that. They have to be content when their car can make it to work and back home every day without breaking down! The cost of a cross country trip far exceeds what many Americans can afford.

The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. The average American's standard of living has been going through a steady decline for a number of years. Layoffs are causing forclosures in record numbers. Personally, I have gone 6 years without a raise in my job, even though the the company posts near record sales and profits nearly every quarter. Upper management gets all the pay increases.

We are being taxed to death and not getting our moneys worth in return. Government waste is out of control. Bush has a lot of nerve giving away billions of dollars to rebuild a country like Iraq which already has resources that would enable them to do it themselves, even though our own country has a problem funding its own problems.

There is a lot to be disatisfied about the direction the country is headed. The "well to do" who don't think so just have their heads in the sand and are oblivious to what is going on around them.
I'm not sure where to start my post. I respect one "FREEDOM" to post, but I also hope that this response to LarryM's post is also respected.

I'm not sure what the complainers want in a country. The "millions" who can't afford to be involved in the freedoms have made that choice. I remember when cross-country trips were almost free. Yes, free. You stood on the side of the road and "thumbed" across the country. Do people not know that the cost of gasoline is cheaper today than it was in 1966, relatively speaking. Managing funds and having budgets is a key to having the opportunity of criss-crossing the country.

This deal about the poor getting poorer and the rich getting richer might be true. I don't have the data to say one way or another. However, I councel with people everyday about their financial situation. Every person in this God-given country has the opportunity to simply build their own business with the smallest of investment of funds, but with a hugh investment of a big heart to help others do the same. The answers I get is "that's not for me" They turn around and complain they are broke. Give me a break. Anyone who goes 6 years without a raise is stuck in a rut. There must be some sort of glue that prevents you from looking for some other opportunity.

As far as the direction our country is going. did someone forget we were attacted in 2001 and it's our duty to insure that our way of life moves forward as best it can. I want everyone to know that terror is here to stay. We can hide our heads in the sand and compain that our young men and women are sacrificing their lives for nothing, but I believe the price we pay is worth every life. That is the price we must pay because if we do not oppose the enemy, the "FREEDOMS" we have right now will be gone.

Talking about terror, it will culminate in Israel one day. Yes, I believe that terror is something we will be living with until God takes his people home. You can believe this or not, but I've resoved this to be true and it is something I can live with. Now do you resolve to continue to "complain" that we don't have what we used to have. Every person is driving their own destiny.

Just my thoughts. Oh, by the way, I'm holding off on the chrome wheels so I can travel across the country on my Goldwing this coming summer.

Has anyone ever noticed the Escalade with these $5,000 tires and wheels sitting in front of a mobile home on the south side of town. then they complain because their only job is part time at Wal Mart. Is this a problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.