GL1800Riders Forums banner

Something to Ponder

5K views 50 replies 34 participants last post by  bmoore106 
#1 ·
The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across some poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be true given the source, right?

The same magazine that employs Michael (Qurans in the toilets at Gitmo) Isikoff.

Here I promised myself this week I would be nice and I start off in this way!

The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 % of Americans are unhappy with the direction he country is headed and 69 % of the country is unhappy with the performance of the president.

In essence 2/3s of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change.

So being the knuckle dragger I am, I starting thinking, ''What are we so unhappy about?''

Is it that we have electricity & running water 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?

Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer & heating in the
winter?

Could it be that 95.4 % of these unhappy folks have a job?

Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store at any time & see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last year?

Maybe it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state?

Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter? I guess having thousands of
Restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough.

Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and provide services
to help all involved. Whether you are rich or poor they treat your wounds and even, if necessary, send a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home, you may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of having a fire, a group
of trained firefighters will appear in moments & use top notch equipment to extinguish the
flames thus saving you, your family and your belongings.

Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes; an
officer equipped with a gun & a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you & your family against attack or loss.

This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood
free of bombs or militias raping & pillaging the residents.

Neighborhoods where 90% of teenagers own cell phones and computers.

How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world? Maybe that is what has 67
percent of you folks unhappy.

Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. yet has a great disdain for its citizens.

They see us for what we are.

The most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have and what we
Hate about the country instead of thanking the good Lord we live here.

I know, I know. What about the president who took us into war & has no plan to get us out?

The president who has a measly 31% approval rating?

Is this the same president who guided the nation in the dark days after 9/11?

The president that cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession?

Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in the book for succeeding in
Keeping all the spoiled brats safe from terrorist attacks?

The Commander-In-Chief of an all-volunteer army that is out there defending you and me? Make no mistake about it. The troops in Iraq & Afghanistan have VOLUNTEERED to serve, & in many cases have died for your freedom. There is currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go. They are able to refuse to go & end up with either a ''general'' discharge, an ''other than honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario,
a ''dishonorable'' discharge after a few days in the brig.

So why then the flat out discontentment in the minds of 69% of Americans?

Say what you want but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds it leads & they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with blood & guts.
How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner? The media knows this & media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells.
Just ask why they are going to allow a murderer like O.J. Simpson to write a book and do a TV special about how he didn't kill his wife but if he did .

Insane!

Stop buying the negative venom you are fed everyday by the media. Shut off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as a country.

There is exponentially more good than bad.

I close with one of my favorite quotes from B.C. Forbes in 1953:

''What have Americans to be thankful for? More than any other people on the earth, we enjoy complete religious freedom, political freedom, social
freedom. Our liberties are sacredly safeguarded by the Constitution of the United States, 'the most wonderful work ever struck off at a given time
by the brain and purpose of man.' Yes, we Americans of today have been bequeathed a noble heritage. Let us pray that we may hand it down unsullied to our children and theirs.''

I suggest we sit back and count our blessings for all we have. If we don't, what we have will be taken away. Then we will have to explain to future
generations why we squandered such blessing and abundance.

If we are not careful this generation will be known as the ''greediest and most ungrateful generation.''

A far cry from the proud Americans of the ''greatest generation'' who left us an untarnished legacy.

Enough said!

AMEN

Author unknown

See less See more
Discussion starter · #30 ·
Jeez folks, just thought some would appreciate "A point of view" not take it as a personal affront!

A lotta truth in those words (They weren't mine btw).

Though we are the preeminent culture on the planet, in many respects it has many looking through Rose Colored Glasses.

Not appreciating what one has is what Sloth, Greed or Avarice??

Oh yeah, the line about driving cross country did have me imagining doing it on the 'Wing.

Bradford

Discussion starter · #37 ·
weengers said:
24 Carat said:
Jeez folks, just thought some would appreciate "A point of view" not take it as a personal affront!
Bradford
Yea riiiiggghhht! :roll:
OK Weengers, don't be so damn vague there buddy, put some words in my mouth, tell me what my ulterior motive was/is !!

Bradford

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Alright ABNS , but I don't really see where your advice applies here. I think you need to reread the thread.

Bradford

Discussion starter · #41 ·
weengers said:
24 Carat said:
OK Weengers, don't be so damn vague there buddy, put some words in my mouth, tell me what my ulterior motive was/is !!
Bradford
I think I've said all I care to say. appreciate the offer though. :wink:
Yes, as I thought.

Bradford

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.