GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had yesterday off; it was HOT, so I head to the mountains to blow-off the frusrations. Twisty fun. Then, while rolling on hard out of a tight hair pin curve, I hear it, "CLICK" and I felt it too. Backed her down to a calm tootle and headed for the barn. Clinical hunch was loose head bearing. Last adjustment of the head bearing was by Traxxion, 25,000 miles ago. I have checked them by the Honda quick method and have not heard or felt that click before on this bike. In the garage, I could not duplicate the "click" by jerking the handle bars up and down, but could detect a slight "give" fore and aft. That should have put me on the fast track, but that daggone clinical hunch got in my way. Off with the instrument panel and handle bars intending to check the steering bearing preload or even replace the AllBalls, but BINGO! Found the top clamp bolts GOOSE LOOSE on my way in! Now, Traxxion in Woodstock was the last to actually assemble this, but I had checked them all twice (each winter) before and it was OK. Since I was that far along, I did reset the pre-load (it was fine), then buttoned-up, checking all the harware on the bike I could get to, nothing else loose. If I had just set my wrench to 20#/" and checked those bolts BEFORE jumping in.

Moral of the story, check your hardware and always check easy stuff first when you find a problem.

prs

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
YEP-check easy stuff first!
Small hijack here--I and 2 friends are probably heading to WV this Thursday-- would appreciate a listing of some of your favorite roads. I know there are a lot of good roads in WV, but do not have time to hit all of them. We tentatively plan to ride WV (generally sort of north to south) a few days and work our way back toward the Smokies before returning home.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Blackwater Hwy is the southwestern corner. It is west of Bristle and runs off of 58.

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blackwater Hwy is the southwestern corner. It is west of Bristle and runs off of 58.
That be western Virginia, we were torn from the mother state's breast back during the war of northern aggression.

I suggest US 219 as being handy and mighty fine all the way from Maryland down to Old Virginia. Lot of side roads and scenic routs and good places to stay and eat. Ask WV Cardinal for a his list of roads in that area, he has it all worked out.

prs

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Thank PR, I was down your way last Saturday, I had almost forgotten about a couple of real good roads you have down there that I used to love...

Yep still lovem...

As PR said you can't go wrong with US-219.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Here some real good roads if you plan on staying a wile...

[FONT=&quot]All of these are exceptionally good motorcycling roads…

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]WV SR-2
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]WV SR-3
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]WV SR-4
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]WV SR-14
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]WV SR-15
WV SR-17
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]WV SR-20
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]WV SR-28
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]WV SR-39
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]WV SR-41
WV SR-58
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]WV SR-92
WV SR-99
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]US-19 - Yep the same one that runs down near the Dragon and is so good down in GA…
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]US-33
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]US-50
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]US-52
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]US-60
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]US-119
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]US-219
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]US-250

[/FONT]Not to many states can include their interstate highways in with their twisties...
[FONT=&quot]I-64/77
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]I-79
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]I-68
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]And then there’s the thousands or back roads that are just as good as these are…
[/FONT]

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
If I read your post correctly, you are saying that a top pinch nut was found loose even after it had been checked twice by you. Is that correct?

If all that is true, I'd have to know why ... stripped hole in top bridge, bad matting seat, badbolt, bolt that is pulling, torque wrench needing calibration? If the bolt is pulling (getting longer), remove it and run a die down the treads. The die should not need to correct the threads. Or compare it's lenght to the one on the other side. The differance in length maybe as little as 1/16".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts