GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Am I the only one that laughed?

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I really did not think it was that funny. Something like that can happen to anyone of us at any time regardless how good a rider we think we are...

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Water and painted stripe... deadly combination I fear regardless of tire I'm using. Its why one of my pet peeves is people watering their lawns... and half the street.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Algae on the wet road. Water was continuously running.

If you go through water you should use the rear brake, lightly. Easier to recover from a rear wheel slide than the front washing out.

At first I thought it was diesel fuel. Slicker than snot.

I didn't laugh. That must have hurt and it wasn't his fault.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
You could see the danger 100 feet away, what was the rider thinking?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
richard h said:
That gave me flashbacks! One of the EMT's told me on my ambulance ride to the hospital that the area where I wrecked was always wet. Something to think about.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
No humor found as it can happen to the best of them.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'll bet if that dude would've been riding a gold wing with ABS, that would have never happened. Ya just can't go wrong with a gold wing with ABS. :yes1:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I think the ABS doesn't function under 5 MPH.

·
Registered
552 Posts
richard h said:
I think the ABS doesn't function under 5 MPH.
Yeah but if he was crashing at 10 mph it might work. Are the cooling fans tied in with the ABS?

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
richard h said:

If you go through water you should use the rear brake, lightly. Easier to recover from a rear wheel slide than the front washing out.

At first I thought it was diesel fuel. Slicker than snot.

I didn't laugh. That must have hurt and it wasn't his fault.
Yeah, right! And what Goldwing do you think that by applying the rear brake pedal only brakes the rear wheel? Just a thought! :lol:

·
Registered
472 Posts
laen said:
ABS SAVES LIFES
When leaned on a slick surface like that it is very likely that ABS won't stop the fall. ABS is not a save-all and this is one situation where it likely wouldn't have prevented the outcome.

Staying off the front brake and crossing the slick spot vertical would have helped, though.

·
Registered
652 Posts
If it was water of some kind of fuel is hard to say. You can see the rainbow of color in the water so it had some fuel mixed in. Maybe just off the street but I bet it was very slick.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts