GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of have said "Where are the Cops when you need them?" This mostly happens when we see road rage, blatant tailgating, running red lights, etc. We wish a Cop was there to witness the event.

Yesterday evening I was traveling east on Highway 12 toward Mauriceville. It was a nice, clear day on a level road, and I saw a string of cars coming my way. As we get closer the 2nd car in line pulls out to pass the pickup in the lead. I realize that there's not enough room so I hit my brakes and pull toward the shoulder to give him room so that he doesn't make a hood ornament of me and my Goldwing. The lead pickup that was being passed also slowed to give the offending passer more room.

The passer managed to get mostly back in his lane by the time we met, but it was still a stupid stunt. I was delighted to see that the 4th car in line was an Orange County Sheriff's car, who quickly hit the red and blue lights and took out after the dumb passer. It made my day.

Justice is served. Yeah, they ARE there when you need them.

Glen

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have seen this stupid passing stunt more lately than ever before. Wonder what is behind that. As usual, probably all the stupid stunts kids see on the internet. Glad that justice was served in your case. I hold out hope that someday the police will be there when it happens to me again.

NOTE: Police can't be even close to everywhere, and with budgets being what they are, they are hard to find some days, but they continue to be for the most part (vast majority) great people, trying to do a very hard and dangerous job under difficult circumstances. Can't fault the police if they are told to park it and save gas, as more and more departments are doing.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Glad to hear he got caught.

I was riding once 2 up in the carpool lane. A car was tailgating me, and decided he wanted to pass me. He left the carpool lane in the legal entry/exit portion with the broken white line. When he had passed me, the broken white line had turned into a double-double yellow with a white fogline to boot. Just after he pulled back into the carpool lane crossing over the double-double yellow I spotted a CHP in my rear view. Red and blue lights lit up, and I gave the LEO a thumbs up! :thumbup:

I see this happen all the time, and was glad the PD was there at the right time.

·
Registered
580 Posts
One time on US 69 in OK (4 lane divided) I was on the wing and running a little over the posted limit in the right lane. I came upon a dummie doing well under the limit in the passing lane. About the same time there was a sheriff cruiser coming up fast behind me in the passing lane. As I was beside Mr DA he noticed the cruiser right behind him and decided to get in my lane with me. I punched the wing and got out of the way. The lights came on on the cruiser and he pulled Mr. DA over. I don't know the outcome but I'm sure he got at least a lecture.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I was delighted to see that the 4th car in line was an Orange County Sheriff's car, who quickly hit the red and blue lights and took out after the dumb passer. It made my day.
It would have been a nice touch to follow them, park at a distance until the Deputy was finished and then ride up to thank him. :thumbup:

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Glad it worked out, and the a..hole got stopped...

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Good for the LEO. They certainly don't get the respect they deserve!!!!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
It would have been a nice touch to follow them, park at a distance until the Deputy was finished and then ride up to thank him. :thumbup:
Exactly! I have always told myself that if I am ever in the right place at the right time that I would do exactly that. Also, in response to dynodon, I never want to hear about an entity (the police) who have the power to enforce the laws in the form of traffic fines ever being told to cut back due to budget constraints. The cops have the ability to be totally self sufficient by means of ticket revenue. There are more than enough offenders out there on the roads to fund an entire traffic division. I recall the Jacksonville (Florida) Sheriff’s Department doing so about 25 years ago with the "wolfpack" unit. They were specifically targeting traffic law breakers and did a fine job. Those devils were damn crafty on cycles zipping in and out of traffic spotting everything. More power to em!

·
Registered
269 Posts
"Where are the Cops when you need them?"

Justice is served. Yeah, they ARE there when you need them.

Glen
Very glad that has been your experience, I am 53 year's old never been arrested or in any serious trouble with the law, cop's have NEVER been around when I needed them, just when I dont want them or when they have an attitude......necessary EVIL.

·
Registered
279 Posts
L e o

Yesterday on my ride home from work, I am traveling on a local 2 lane, straight and level, following a semi-marked LEO car. ( no outside emergency lights ) ( only departmental badging ). There is a Toyota SUV behind me. All are traveling about 40MPH. Everything is ok at this point. Suddenly, in the corner of my eye,the view of my RIGHT mirror fills with the image of some *&[email protected]%#! on a crotch rocket that has come around the RIGHT side of the Suv. He is on the white shoulder line at speed and has every intention of passing me the same way. That is,until he realizes that the vehicle in front of me is in fact an officer of the law! He backs it down enough to cut back in between me and the Toyota. Unfortunately the officer did not seen this stunt. I turned and gave him a WTF hand wave, Are you actually that stupid? Yes I suppose you just proved that. He just gave me this sheepish little "sorry" hand wave and pulled into a left turn lane only to suddenly veer back in front of the suv and finally into a right turn lane to go hide at the local grocery store parking lot. Sure wish the officer had seen this and reacted!

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
The Wolfpack in Jacksonville is part of the traffic division, however, they specialize in DUI enforcement.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sure wish the officer had seen this and reacted!
Unfortunately being human means you won't see 360 degrees while driving, looking at a computer and the many other things going on. That's just life. Would you like it if your boss came and said you have 1/2 the time to do five other people's job and he's gonna give you a WTF look when you ask for a raise?????

·
Registered
478 Posts
Some years ago when I was a volunteer firefighter, we had a car pull out from a stop sign in front of us. We were prepared, but better yet, there was a township cop also waiting at the stop sign. Turns out the cop was an previous member of our fire department :)

We testified in court, the driver had a long list of infractions and the judge threw the book at him :)

Sometimes, there IS justice.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Wife was our a couple months ago when a woman 2 cars infront of her at a stop light was on the phone texting or ? The light turned green but she just sit there on the phone. The car behind her honked his horn biy still no movement...Then he turned on his siren and guess what, she got off the phone!:bow:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Wife was our a couple months ago when a woman 2 cars infront of her at a stop light was on the phone texting or ? The light turned green but she just sit there on the phone. The car behind her honked his horn biy still no movement...Then he turned on his siren and guess what, she got off the phone!:bow:
They can really be oblivious can't they? I have a short commute through downtown and have to navigate a slew of traffic lights. A day doesn't go by that someone just sits there when the light turns green because they are on the phone.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well at least she wasn't texting while moving ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts