GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My best friend, best passenger ever, and wife was diagnosed with cancer. She took it is stride, I did not. We ride all we can every where we can and when we can. She loves motorcycles and those that ride.
She does not have the addiction that I have but she has never said 1 word on how much I spend on accessories or how many bikes I buy. All she will say is if we can pay the bills then it's okay.
In April she became very Ill and I knew things were going to get ugly. We stopped riding and I only rode when we needed something for the house or visit her when she was int he hospital. She had a second seizure last month.
Her health continued to get worse, I new I had to get prepared.
We rode a Ultra Classic and then it hurt her because of the cancer in her belly. I bought a 2010 gw March of 2010 which made a big difference we could continue to ride. July 6th I bought her a GL1800 CSC trike. She only got to ride it once.
Sept 6 she went home to be our creator.
Now I have this big empty hole in me, I still ride daily but the desire is not very strong any more.
She wanted to be cremated and her ashes spread at the highest point in the smokey mountains.
Next spring look for a thread for a Honor ride to the smokey mountains.

dd

Now what do I do with the trike?

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I would think that she is looking down and wishing that you continue your life. The world doesn't stop and life goes on. Imagine the situation in reverse,wouldn't you want her to be as happy as she could be for her remaining time.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
My condolences to you sir. I can relate, lost my wife to that dread desease.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

What do you think her advise would be? Honor her memory in that way.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm truly sorry to hear about the loss of your wife. The pain must be unbearable. As you said she is with our creator now and is in no more pain.

I wouldn't make any quick decisions about the trike until you start getting over the greiving process. Once you start healing from your loss you will be able to see things differently and maybe your hunger to ride will return.

Our prayers will be with you.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Having not gone thru what you are all I can say is I'm sorry for your loss and hang in there. It sounds to me like she would want you to ride as before just ride for her. I know it won't be the same without her. As for the trike. I suggest you attempt to find another woman that likes to ride as much as she did and sell it to here. If it was me and I could afford it I would rather sell it to some nice lady that will really enjoy it than making more money selling it to somebody that just wants a trike. JMHO and good luck with being able to adjust and continue.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Loss

Sorry to hear about your loss dirtdobber. As much as it hurts, know she is in a better place. As far as the trike, sell it and donate the proceeds to a charity that she respected.

GOD bless you sir.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Sorry for your loss 11 years ago in Sept my wife was diagnosed with cancer, she died in 02. I know how you feel, just keep putting one foot in front of the other one and you will get through this.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
My heart felt condolences are reaching out to you for your loss.There are know words I can convey to ease what your are going through.All I can tell you is the pain subsides in time,but we never forget how special our mates are! I didn't say were because we keep them alive in our Hearts!

I walk in your shoes as in a couple weeks I mark 6 years after the sudden loss of my best friend too.some days it feels like secinds ago,but trust in that it does ease up a bit and you get through it.

As others have said "Thnk in terms of what she'd want you to do" and you'll come to the right decesion in time on what to do with her trike and things.

Blessings and my Thoughts and Prayers with you.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I feel for ya man...

There just aren't words.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Please accept my sincerest condolences in the loss of your wife. Time will heal the pain. However, you'll always retain the memories you made together.

·
Registered
631 Posts
So very sorry to hear of your loss. My wife, best friend and riding partner sounds like a mirror image of yours. As long as the bills are paid, I can ride whatever I want. Unless I'm just riding to work, you can bet shes right behind me riding. Shes an all weather girl that never whines. Lord forbid anything ever happened to her, but she has stated more than once that she knows that riding is my second love and that I should never stop. She knows that she will always be right there with me. So take some time, heal as best as you can and make that ride to the smokies the best you've ever done. I pray her sprit will guide you and lead you to where you need to go.
Respects
Steelman

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
That just broke my heart. I'm sitting at my desk at work with tears rolling down my face.

I am so sorry for your loss.

You asked what to do with that trike...I am going to bet she would want you to sell it to someone who will ride it....and ride it proudly, love it, take care of it, and enjoy it in her honor.

I would get a little plaque to put on in that says "In memory of and the dates of her wonderful life" and ask the new owner to keep in on. Just speaking for myself...I would absolutely keep it on if I was the buyer and ride that bike in her honor daily.

Love,

David

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
So very sorry for your loss. The pain must be intense right now. Please accept our condolences.

Time will heal, but you will never forget. But keep on keeping on, as life itself does. And I agree about the trike. It's a memorial to her.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My prayers are with you in this time. I lost my Dad to cancer over three yrs ago. He would have been 68 years old today. I ride his wing everyday I can and remember him always. May God be with you and comfort you.

Drumz

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
This is a very sad thing to happen to good folks. Unfortunately we must all meet that appointment at some time or another. I still have my best friend and wife and we enjoy riding as much as we possibly can, you never know when that will no longer be possible. I feel that our loved ones that we lose are still with us in spirit, maybe actually helping us along the way, often times laughing at us and with us. You can have comfort that she no longer feels the pain of that horrible disease and that you made her time here so enjoyable. Please post that ride to the Smokies when you decide to make it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I too, lost my wife to cancer, but it was 9 years ago. We found out when she was 37(much too young). She fought it for 4 1/2 years, and never complained. I hadn't ridden a motorcycle in 20 years, and after her passing, decided to buy a VTX1800, and then 2 years later, went to the Goldwing. It was a release for me to ride, and still is. The pain in hard right now, but it's the price we all pay for having the joy of the love we shared. Our son is 15 now, and when he smiles, I see hers. I still think of her. The 17 years we shared were some of the best times in my life. Family and friends will get you thru this, and from what I've seen from this board, you have lots of friends.

God Bless

1 - 20 of 58 Posts