GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cole saved up his money and we found a 2002 Suzuki 80 dirt bike. We picked it up yesterday. He and I went thru it from top to bottom. Runs perfect. He has ridden a bike before with gears. He got the hang of it after about 30 minutes. I have him shifting into 2nd and back down. Gotta find some open space for him to roll thru the gears though.

There is nothing like seeing a child be so proud of something. He parked right next to mine in the garage and puts all his "stuff" just like I do.

I am so proud of him for saving his money up. He could have bought an Xbox or whatever, but he resisted and just kept saving. Hopefully this will teach him the deal about saving up for something you want in life. At 8 years old they seem to think money grows on trees sometimes. Anybody want to buy a go cart?

Now I gotta go out and buy someting. I really would like a used BMW dual sport bike, but they are just too much money. You can buy a new KLR 650 for under 5K. That might be the best bargain out there, and its a great bike from what I hear.

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
The family that rides together stays together

I too want a dual sport
I would look at-

BMW 1200
BMW 650
Kawa KLR650
Suzuki Vstorm 650
Suzuki DRZ 400
KTM 950 Adventure (my #1 choice )
KTM 525 EXC(w/Baha kit)
KTM 450EXC(w/Baha kit)
Honda XR650R(w/Baha Kit, not thr 650L)

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Cole,

Good On Ya Buddy. Take care of your Bike and it will take care of you.

Keep your Mom & Dad proud, by doing the good things that you do.

Your Bud in New York
Bulldog

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Congrats, you'll have more joy watching Cole than riding (well, maybe not).

'Santa' brought a Honda CRF80 for the kids last Christmas. We've got about 3/4 acre lot and sure won't win yard of the year for some time. I put a ramp out that they jump off now. I took my 14yo daughter to the country where we have 9.5 acres 1 mile from paved road for her to ride around on. It was a great day for the both of us.

I'd be happy with a 125 to zip around on with them.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
What, no pics?!! Way to go, Cole!!

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you say pics? Lets see here....................

I have had RRixx, Polecat, KcButch and god knows who else over at my house. I have asked them ALL to help me load pics.Nobody has helped me. I think they are afraid to show me the way. I promise I wont show any naked ladies.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Toyo, that's too cool. I had the chance to take my three sons ( hey, there's a TV show in there somewhere :lol: )
Anyway, got to take them to the Smokey's for the Honda Hoot this year...what a great time riding with the boys...you're gonna love this time with him...Proud Papa!!!!!!!

I just bought the new Wing and while at the dealer I saw he had a few KLR650/250 with tags that said something about a rebate....might check this out. I think the tag was 4700.00 for a new KLR650...I don't know if this is a good price or not. I love the looks of the bike, but I'm way too short for any of the new dirt bikes.

I though about an older off road, use to ride them a lot, even raced a little MX, maybe a Mick Andrews replica trails....ummm that would be sweet...always though those were great looking bikes.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Here is my dual sport,,,All original, including the tires.....everything still works too......a 1975 Honda XL250,,,,,with 2,900 miles on it......My son rides an XR100,,,but he has out grown it this year..so I am going to either buy him a new bike with the money that grows on trees,,,or give him my XL250...............or buy 2 new bikes,,,,,,,,with the possibility of selling this XL250 to a vintage racer........this XL250 model has the carb that sets at an angle off of the head making it easy to get to for adjustments....alot of vintage bikers love this one...............But I do agree that dual sport pleasure riding with your son is an awesome thing to do......

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
How to go, Cole!!! You've made a lot of us proud (besides your Dad) because there aren't too many young people out there that are as smart as you are. Most of them don't set goals (like buying your own bike) and expect Mom and Dad to put up the cash for everything. You're showing us that you are really mature (grown up), can set goals and work towards them. This will stand you in good stead later in life when you have to go to work for a living.

Again, congratulations!

Mesquite Bob

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Looking forward to tailgunning for Cole in the neighborhood there. If the go-kart had the comfort package I would be interested. We showed you how to upload pictures.......you just forgot.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Toyo said:

I have had RRixx, Polecat, KcButch and god knows who else over at my house. I have asked them ALL to help me load pics.Nobody has helped me.
Now that's not fair. We spent too much time picking up my bike to show you how to upload pics. If we weren't doing that your wife was making us eat.

·
Registered
446 Posts
WAY TO GO TOYO! . . . . . .

Having him save his money to buy his own bike will make a great kid who takes care of what he has, . . . . give him a sense of accomplishment and pride! You are a great Dad!! Enjoy the experiences coming . . . . . :D

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Toyo,
How old is your son? Started mine out at 4yrs old. I told him when he learned to ride a bicycle, I would get him a dirtbike. He learned 3 days later. Got him a JR50 Suzuki. He progressed to and 80 and on to a TT500 Yam. He is 30 now and has a CBR600. Ain't nothin cooler than riding motorcycles with your son. Getting him to keep the front wheel on the ground on the CBR is my next challange. He did crash about 2mo ago cuttin up on the street. Lost traction while doing something stupid and highsided. Got a bunch of road rash and screwed his bike up. Hopefully this will slow him down a a bit

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Toyo said:

I have had RRixx, Polecat, KcButch and god knows who else over at my house. I have asked them ALL to help me load pics.Nobody has helped me. I think they are afraid to show me the way.
I promise I wont show any naked ladies.
..There is your problem!!!! THEY WANT naked ladies!!!!!!!..chuck

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Good for him. I got my 4 year old son a PW50 this summer, he hasnt ridden it much lately tho with soccer on his young mind. He did ride it the other day while I worked on the wifes car, he was singing a song he made up:
I am a dirt biking boy, I ride a dirt bike all day :) it was so cute to hear him do this :) I also have a 1973 DT100 I restored he gets to ride when he is big enough.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Toyo said:
You can buy a new KLR 650 for under 5K. That might be the best bargain out there, and its a great bike from what I hear.
Don't waste your money on a new KLR. They haven't changed much in the last 18 years or so. You can get a late model blinged out low mileage KLR for less than $2,500.

If you're going to be doing some serious dirt riding, I would definitely look at getting a late model CR, RM, YZ, or KX moto. Take you're pick, they're all about the same.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Toyo said:

I have had RRixx, Polecat, KcButch and god knows who else over at my house. I have asked them ALL to help me load pics.Nobody has helped me. I think they are afraid to show me the way. I promise I wont show any naked ladies.
Maybe that is the problem and reason no one will help you! :lol:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Nice going Cole, and Toyo......I can't tell who's more proud you or Cole?

I thought I explained the pics thing the other day......you forgot already? :D

My son has a bad a$$ KTM 250 MX bike for sale.....05 I think. It will haul the mail. Only riden a few times....in great shape.....new rear tire.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My son will be 9 in November. He got a 2002 Suzuki 80. Of course its yellow!

Looks like yall want some naked pics? I am not one of Hals favorites to begin with, I might get booted from here to egypt!

He is so funny. He will put his boots, gloves, helmet all in a nice little row next to his bike. Just like his daddy. He thinks he's a big boy now, gonna have to bring him back down to earth. I do admire him for wanting to take care of something that he had to work for.

Polecat, Do you need a goKart? We will NOT be having both. The goKart is going up for sale asap.

I found a 2006 still in the crate for $ 4299.00. There are only a few in the local cycle trader. People must like to hold on to these things around here.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts