GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on the board tried the new Sonic Boomers (Ed Sets). I have heard lots of talk about the the ones Ed makes for the full face helmets. But I haven't heard anything about the newest addition to his line of head sets. If anyone has anything good or bad to say about them I would like to hear your comments. I think this may be a good way to get top quality head sets without the high prices that are associated with some of the other manufacturers.

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
615 Posts
Tom I just got one, but have not tested it out yet.
Fit it in the helmet and tried it on the bike and seems to work great. Will post when I get a trip in. After all this snowwwww in the NE Joy

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have just installed 2 of them with one left to go. I installed them in Shoei Syncrotec's. (bought a 3rd helmet for my 18 year old so when she leaves the nest she has a helmet to take with her and will hopefully wear it when she get on a bike) My wife and I tried them last night and we really like them compared to the J&M's that are in our Arai helmets. The install on the Shoei's is a little more difficult than most but I got the process down now. On my last helmet I'm going to take pics of how I do it so others can see it. If your interested in the pics I will have them next week as I'm going to wait until this weekend to install the last set so I have enough time to document the install. Again, we really like the clarity of both the speakers and the mic. I had to turn all the adjustments WAY down compared to the J&Ms.

Greg

·
Registered
615 Posts
Greg , it will be great to see you pics to see how I did in installing mine. Joy

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm thinking about buying a Vega XT with the wind curtain from Hal this Spring/Summer. I asked Ed about this fitting on that helmet. He had some suggestions to stiffen where the boom would connect to the wind curtain. Has anyone done this already? Installed Ed's (or anyones) mic to one of those kinds of helmets?

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
I did the proto-type testing for Ed and have photos of the installation here:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/edsets

I am real impressed with them. The sound quality out of the speakers is better than any other motorcycle headset I have used and the microphone is very sensitive. I can run the intercom volume at 6 or 7 and have plenty of intercom volume.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Joy, I'll post the pics Monday or Tuesday. I'm riding on Sat and will install the last EdSet Sunday. Ed has asked me to document my install so others can learn from my mistakes ;-) . After I did the first one the second was a lot easier and I didn't cut any of the material over the ear openings so when you look inside my wifes helmet you cannot see the speakers and it looks totally stock.

Greg

·
Registered
615 Posts
Thanks Greg, I will also look at Fred's.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took the plunge and ordered two sets from Ed yesterday. After a few conversations with Ed via email and reading Fred's reviews I couldn't stand it any longer. I should get them in a day or two and will let everyone know my opinion after I install them. Not that my opinion is important to anyone but me but I know what sounds good! And I will pass my impressions on to those who are interested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts