GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here involved with an SAL chapter in your area? Never had the honor of serving but my father and grand father did. I've spent 26 years with Colorado State Patrol in dispatch and have the utmost respect and admiration for all who served this great nation. I was approached by a local member of the American Legion Riders and he told me I was eligible to ride with them but I'd like to know more about what they do. First and foremost, I don't want to step in where I don't belong. How to Legion riders feel about someone who didn't serve in the military being a part of their group? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
4,019 Posts
Ron. Good for you for being concerned about stepping on the toes of others. I think that shows a lot of foresight and respect. I'm going to give you my honest thoughts on it, which may be right or totally wrong. Again, you asked. My gut reaction is there may be a little bit of resentment. No, resentment is not the right word. Imagine someone who doesn't ride, never has, being on this board giving his/her thoughts on different subjects. And the service organizations are a rather tight-knit bunch. A brotherhood that can only be joined through a sacrifice. Would you walk around as a 'branded' member? No, I don't think so. Are you standing shoulder-to-shoulder with others who ride for a good cause? Sure are. Would you be welcomed? Again, sure would. Will you ever be able to share that brotherhood? Nope, but you WILL be able to share your respect with other members which will probably become great friends. Should you do it. You bet!

·
Registered
588 Posts
In the hinterlands where I was born and raised, as well as where I live now, the VFW and American Legion are faltering in terms of members. If I said that was a good thing I hope people would think for a moment and understand. I'm mentioning this because if there is no VFW or AL, can there be a legitimate SAL? So when you get into a sub-group of an increasingly smaller organization, my opinion is they would welcome like-minded persons. 1096dad says they said he's eligible so I'm guessing they might have already considered some of what I've mentioned. I'd take them at their word and try it out.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I am an SAL, Cloquet post 202. You will be totally welcomed. It is an honor to ride and support those who are aging and needing active support wherever it comes from. Yes, you may not be able to share experiences of service, but you can actively listen and understand and support. Believe me they have already welcomed you by asking you along. And from what I have learned about you from my visit to Rockies Gold last year, you will be an asset to the cause.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just became a new SAL member here at post 942 in January. I joined them for a couple of rides last year and was asked by several members to join. I was welcomed by all members and I let all know that I did not serve. My father served back in the 50's and was stationed in Japan. I was born with congenital heart defects and after two open heart surgeries, would not have passed an entrance physical. It has been a rewarding experience to participate and honor our veterans. I look forward to helping sponsor this post and its veterans in the years to come.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am a member of the VFW, I have rode with a worked functions with post members and members of the Men's Auxiliary. Since you were asked to participate I would not worry about stepping where you don't belong.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Our local Legion Riders (East Greenbush NY) has the pres and vice prez both being SAL members. There is no issues at all (in our post) about SAL members, they are welcomed and treated evenly. You should be good to go

1 - 7 of 7 Posts