GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Interesting, it sounds like although the new 80hr. MD version will play the old discs, a new recorder/player would have to be purchased to take advantage of the extended content time on the new discs. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I saw this mentioned on Tech TV last night, from what I understand gonzowing is right, the new one will be backwards compatable, so it will play existing MiniDiscs, but you will need the new one to get the extreme length, I think they said they will be available in the not too distant future. :D

·
Registered
816 Posts
mini disc

I have two of the Sony mini discs and got an ipod for Christmas. The ipod is a much better system. The mini disc is okay, but the features and functionality of the ipod are killer.

JMHO.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have two of the Sony mini discs and got an ipod for Christmas. The ipod is a much better system. The mini disc is okay, but the features and functionality of the ipod are killer.
That's the normal way it goes in electronics, when you pay 3 to 5 times as much money, you should get something a little better.

G

·
Re: mini disc

OzarksF6 said:

JMHO.
true those Ipods die out after 18 months and you throw them away?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Ipod-sore not

Obviously hit a sour note on the ipod. :shock:

I'm sure that the price will drop, as with all things. Heck you can buy a big screen HDTV for well under $2000 now. The first of the mini discs were about the same as an ipod at first too. The thing that Apple has done, is to make the software proprietary and I believe Sony's coming out with a similar system. Apples marketing of the ipod has been extraordinary. I read that they have about 50% of the market, and have a very successful music store, with over 30 million downloads this year at $1.00 per.

I don't know about longevity, and that's certainly a worry with an expensive piece of electronic equipment. We'll just have to see on that one. One of my mini discs developed a "tick". It doesn't affect the playback yet, but I can hear it not matter which disc is playing. So anything with a moving part is open to failure, regardless of cost.

All said, I stand by what I said, and that is that the functionality of the ipod is outstanding. I'll still use both the sony and the apple product.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts