GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have one of these cameras. I have a couple of questions

1. It suppose to have image stabilization, does this actually work?
2. What is battery life. The specs say about 2 hours.
3. It appears to have a battery that can be changed so you don't have to re-charge on the road, just swap the battery pack. Is this true?
4. It appears to have what is a 1/4-20 tripod type mounting location. Is that correct

Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I buy all my photography needs through BH Photo and according to their website, it does have 1/4-20 tripod mount which allows it to be mounted to Sony's handlebar mount sold as a accessory. In the accessory list, a separate battery is also listed, so it looks like you could swap it out on the road. The specs also list video stabilization as well. Check out their website, there are 97 reviews, most of them very good. This camera seems to be a good option for those looking at the GoPro Hero 7 Black.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Those are VERY good cameras. It’s on my list of wanted items. Check out youtube video’s. There are comparisons and reviews that prove it’s high quality. I just wonder if there is/are newer tech. You know 4K-60, 1080+, and only have a tiny pencil diameter sized piece on the helmet/wherever, and the rest either bluetoothed or corded the the recording/SD card slot x2, battery pack base unit stuff. Now that sounds expensive!!

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys. I looked around and all the information presented about the unit was as you have said but, its better to have more than one observer.

Speaking of BH Photo, I have done business with them and will look at their website.

·
Registered
657 Posts
My main concern other than quality video is the ease of use while riding. Distractions trying to operate the camera are killers and the cameras I have used so far are not safe so I do not use them unless I just turn them on and stop the camera when I stop. Not good. and so I don't use it much.
Anyone have a very easy to use camera that is not like texting and driving? How about the X3000?.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My main concern other than quality video is the ease of use while riding. Distractions trying to operate the camera are killers and the cameras I have used so far are not safe so I do not use them unless I just turn them on and stop the camera when I stop. Not good. and so I don't use it much.
Anyone have a very easy to use camera that is not like texting and driving? How about the X3000?.
I currently use the Contour HD Camera (link below). I have used their cameras since about 2008 or so. I purchased a newer one several years ago as a replacement. It has a simple slide switch that you move forward to start the video. Its easy to use with gloves on. The drawback is that is "manual" and as such to use while on the bike the camera has to be mounted where you can reach it. My current mount is shown in the picture below.

The reason I was looking at the Sony was the image stabilization aspects and the ability to change out the battery on the fly without having to charge the unit. The older Contour had a separate battery. The newer one did not.

I have some trips planned during which I would like to be able to turn the camera on and off as I need to without getting off the bike.

Link to Contour

http://contour.com/cameras

Link to image from camera

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ipeikrsj1ibzvi/Bear Tooth.mp4?dl=0

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts