GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have long time trying to sell my custom painted Vtx 1300R, currently known as "vtxrosa" on the vtxoa board. Just wanting for the guy to get his tax return.

I ha been looking or 2001-05 yr range, blue or dark cherry red wing in my price range. And finally found a 2001 blue one with 169,000 miles. All recalls have been done. And has been completely serviced at Lebanon Valley cycles. Test rode it last Saturday. No issues with it other than the LH volume control button need alittle more effort to adjust. Price is $7999. So, I'm asking is there anything else I should look at or ask about the bike? I have no problem doing any repairs or tuning wrenches. I am a chevy mechanic going on 24 yrs now..

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
The dealer probably won't know, but I would ask if the suspension is stock or aftermarket. With that amount of mileage, a stock front and rear suspension will be pretty sagged out. I upgraded mine at around 62,000 miles. That will be one of the first things you do if it is still original. Other things you will want to do pretty quickly is flush and bleed the brakes and clutch and flush the cooling system. Drain and refill the final drive. Also ask the dealer if he knows when the air filter was last changed. I presume the dealer has changed the oil and oil filter? Others will have more suggestions.

Welcome to the forum from next door in Jersey!!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Welcome to the Goldwinger's named "Bob" club! It's very exclusive. :thumbup:

If you are willing to ride... then it's my opinion that you can beat that price for a nicely equipped early model GL1800 with close to half of those miles or better.

Here's from my local Craigslist this morning: http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/mcy/4299339729.html

Well cared for / 2 owner Goldwing. 97,000 miles. Good tires, battery, FM Stereo, Reverse, etc. I've owned this bike for the past two (2) years, and have had zero mechanical issues with it. The bike had 75,000 on it when I purchased it. The brake and clutch fluids were both serviced when I bought it and they still look light in color. I just serviced the K&N oil type air filter, so that's good for another 20-30,000 miles plus. Regular Honda 4 stroke Full synthetic oil changes, with 2500 miles on the current oil. No oil usage or leakage. Considering this sell to help finance another car purchase. $8500 obo...comes with bike cover and battery tender trickle charger. No one has driven this bike except for myself since I've owned it, and I'm super picky about the way I drive and maintain all of my vehicles,...so sorry but no free rides, if your serious - you'll be glad I'm that way and appreciate the condition of the bike...thanks for looking - Steve 817-590-9716.
Or... you can find a late model one, with an extended warranty, right here on the forums with still less miles that you are looking at for close to that price range: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?429633-2008-Gold-Wing

2008 Gold Wing
Red with 119000 miles, brake light spoiler and CB radio.
Extended warranty to 5/2015 Excellent condition Located in Ocala,FL $ PRICE REDUCED TO $9995.00 tel 860-250-4970
Also... that blue color you are looking at from 2001 is very pretty, but it's also one of the most expensive paint colors Honda used. So keep that in mind if you ever want to add a spoiler or paint match any parts on the bike.

Personally, I'd search around. The dead of winter is typically a buyer's market, and even more so if you are willing to look outside your local area. So, I'd keep looking... here on the forums and maybe even searchtempest.com, which is a nationwide craigslist search engine. There's much better deals to be had out there. If you find something that looks too good to be true, post it here and we'll help you decide if it is or isn't.

There's even a few of us on here crazy enough to ride it back to you for cost of transportation. ;)

Good luck... and welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for some quick replies. When I do take ownership of this wing or any other. I will be changing all the fluids with Ams oil. (I'm a dealer) and put a K&N filter in it. I have upgraded the suspension on my current VTX with Race tech gold valves and springs, All Balls steering bearing upgrade, etc. along with valve adjustments. Not that I don't trust some dealers, everyone has their stories. But I have piece of mind when I do the work/repairs.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Thanks for some quick replies. When I do take ownership of this wing or any other. I will be changing all the fluids with Ams oil. (I'm a dealer) and put a K&N filter in it. I have upgraded the suspension on my current VTX with Race tech gold valves and springs, All Balls steering bearing upgrade, etc. along with valve adjustments. Not that I don't trust some dealers, everyone has their stories. But I have piece of mind when I do the work/repairs.
Good for you! Sounds like you have the mechanical end well in hand. I also agree with the others who have said there are better deals out there if you are not in a hurry and are willing to shop around.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Welcome. You'll find that many on this board share your sentiment and do their own wrenching so they know it's done right so you'll be in good company.

You'll also find that like any time you get a bunch of wrenches together, everyone has their opinions on oil and air filters and everyone knows best.

Speaking of which...you may want to reconsider the K&N in the wing. In the first place, it's a couple hour job to get to the thing once you know how and more like 3-4 if you don't. Secondly the wing is not a high revving engine and you'll find it's not limited by the airflow capacity of the stock filter. That being said, you'll get no performance gain with a K&N over stock and many will argue that the K&N is a less effective filter so you get no performance gain and end up adding more dirt into the combustion chamber so it's not a good idea.

I've got a K&N on my Yamaha R1 sport bike but I also have a pipe and a power commander that can tell the engine what to do with the extra air flow so it's part of a system that adds more HP to the bike. The ECU on the wing is pretty much locked down and all it's power is down low in torque where it doesn't require a lot of air movement so adding pipes and air filters don't do too much, if anything, at all.

(I will admit I have cobra pipes on my wing though....I don't think they changed the performance a bit but I like the way they look and sound better than stock)

Anyway....step one is find the right wing that you are comfortable with. We can argue about air filters later.

Welcome again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
New Wing buyer

:lol:Glad to hear you ready to join the riding forum. I currently riding a 2003 with Taxxion upgrade and numerous add-on, the clock has 155,000 miles all maintenance and new tires. The bike is in excellent condition and would sell for $7950. Looking at a 2014 GL1800, should you have an interest e-mail me @ [email protected] located in Central Jersey

Ed
AMA
IBA
GWRRA
Highlanders M/C

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info on the filter, 2wheelnut.

GLflyer and Jobe05 thanks for the link to the wing for sale.

I have my heart set on a blue or a dark cherry red colors.

As for paint matching. I work at a chevy dealership which our bodyshop does paint work for the local Honda dealership 2 miles down the road. I am looking forward to learning my way around a Goldwing. The vtx I have mastered. lol. Even replaced a engine in a vtx1800! not the most exciting thing to do.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
GLflyer and Jobe05 thanks for the link to the wing for sale.

I have my heart set on a blue or a dark cherry red colors.

As for paint matching. I work at a chevy dealership which our bodyshop does paint work for the local Honda dealership 2 miles down the road. I am looking forward to learning my way around a Goldwing. The vtx I have mastered. lol. Even replaced a engine in a vtx1800! not the most exciting thing to do.
No problem... and just for entertainment value I'll mention that I had my heart set on a red or burgandy wing (specifically the 2006 Bloodstone Red/Black Cherry Candy). I really, really, wanted that color.

I searched for several months and ended up finding a "steal" on a well equipped Titanium wing. Guess what my new favorite color wing is now?? ;)

Don't get caught up on color... especially if you have the chance to change the color to whatever you want since you work at a dealership that does paint/body work. I'd be looking for the "deals" on lower mileage wings, with some nice after market additions that you may want, already on it. I found mine on Craigslist in Jacksonville FL, and flew out to pick it up and rode it straight through to DFW that night. That saved me @ $4,000 dollars off of what similar bikes were going for here in Dallas at the time.

Keep searching... you may just find the color you want after all. I think most everybody here agrees that the bike you listed in your original post really isn't that good of a deal. If you find a good deal somewhere that's not local, then just post the info here and one of us who is close to it will most likely be happy to check it out for you, so you wouldn't be going into it "blind".

We're here to help! :thumbup:

Bob

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:? Well, I got a email from Lebanon valley honda and the salesman said they got a guys with cash in hand today, but they wanted to contact me first. Which I thought was nice. And I told him I could put down a deposit, but I can't get up there until next week. So I told him to let it go to the person with the cash in hand. He would let me know if the deal falls through.

So, I am still looking for a early year 1800 wing. Preferred Illusion Blue or red, dark cherry red. Around $10k. I have been looking my state (pa) and near by states. I am willing to travel (plane,train, auto) for a wing.

Thanks for the pm's and info

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
My 2001 has 150,00 miles on it and runs like new .. Except for a sloppy neutril and will fix that in a few weeks
with that kind of milage and if it has all upgrades and reciets for all work done from day 1 than it's an ok price ,would think you can get one with less miles for about the same price or slightly more ,I would get answers on suspension , alternator,final drive , brakes , these bikes go many miles but need to have regular maintenance on them
. This past summer I did coast to coast and back ,didn't even think about the high mileage on my bike many here have way more
good luck with it and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Goldwing

gwbob, Welcome to the forum. Once you have a wing and get it on the road you will understand why there are so many of us on the roads. I own a place in Mill Creek in Huntingdon Co Pa. I spend a lot of time there in Hunting season and with my wing. Many, many, wonderful roads to ride there. Where are you located in south central Pa? Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

1 - 20 of 34 Posts