GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself to the forum. I should be picking up my "new to me" 2006 Goldwing in about 2 weeks. I've been riding motorcycles for 30+ years on a variety of bikes but mainly sport touring (ST1300's, ST1100's, Concours) as well as cruisers like Kawasaki Nomad, Kawasaki Vaquero, etc.... My financial manager and riding partner (Wife!) suggested a more comfortable ride for longer trips so this was the next logical step and we both look forward to seeing what the road and ride ahead is going to be like. I'll be scouring around this board for technical information and wisdom from those of you kind enough to share with newcomers such as I to the Goldwing adventures. I hope I don't wear out the ole welcome mat before I take our first trip.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome to the forum I too just came from an St1300 and an ST1100 before that but wife is riding more so we upgraded to a 2016 wing. Last wing I had was a 1989 the difference between then and now is amazing as you will discover and you can corner it almost like your ST, As the dealer explained it to me...."The Fat lady can dance..." I had my doubts but soon found out he was right. I am very happy with the new wing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Getting a Wing is like being reborn. I like your story about your wife suggesting something more comfortable. I have been riding for years too but my wife would never even think about getting on the bike. My last bike was a Vstar. I was quite happy with it but, last spring I told my wife that I was thinking of getting rid of the bike and getting a sports car that we could both enjoy. She said these magic words to me, "if you got something that I felt completely comfortable on, I would go with you". I knew the perfect solution, Goldwing. I had looked at the big Harleys but nothing comes close to comfort like a Goldwing. I spent most of last summer looking for a nice used one. I spent hours scouring the web for used wings and drover all over Ontario only to be disappointed by what I had seen. I was lucky enough to stumble on a brand new 2015 and took delivery in the fall. Now we go everywhere together and she just loves the bike!

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Welcome from SE Idaho!!! Congrats on your new ride and on having a wife that supports your habit. Ride safe and keep the shiny side up. :grin2:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum I too just came from an St1300 and an ST1100 before that but wife is riding more so we upgraded to a 2016 wing. Last wing I had was a 1989 the difference between then and now is amazing as you will discover and you can corner it almost like your ST, As the dealer explained it to me...."The Fat lady can dance..." I had my doubts but soon found out he was right. I am very happy with the new wing.
I really enjoyed both the ST1100 and 1300 so hoping I'll have the same experience with the Goldwing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Getting a Wing is like being reborn. I like your story about your wife suggesting something more comfortable. I have been riding for years too but my wife would never even think about getting on the bike. My last bike was a Vstar. I was quite happy with it but, last spring I told my wife that I was thinking of getting rid of the bike and getting a sports car that we could both enjoy. She said these magic words to me, "if you got something that I felt completely comfortable on, I would go with you". I knew the perfect solution, Goldwing. I had looked at the big Harleys but nothing comes close to comfort like a Goldwing. I spent most of last summer looking for a nice used one. I spent hours scouring the web for used wings and drover all over Ontario only to be disappointed by what I had seen. I was lucky enough to stumble on a brand new 2015 and took delivery in the fall. Now we go everywhere together and she just loves the bike!
Good to hear it was a solution to your riding partner joining you, my wife is a real trooper when it comes to riding or she was in our youthful years. Now as we climb the ladder of experience, comfort and security seems to be a more pressing desire. I too considered a touring version of a cruiser but just couldn't overcome the constant vibration and noise of a twin. Having had a Nomad and a Vaquero, they both were fun and ok for about 3 to 4 hours then it began to cause fatigue just from the vibrations and noise. So decided that the only way to accommodate touring, comfort, security and quietness, Goldwing. Looking forward to seeing the difference. Thanks for sharing and the welcome!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome from SE Idaho!!! Congrats on your new ride and on having a wife that supports your habit. Ride safe and keep the shiny side up. :grin2:
Thanks, having an agreeable riding partner does tend to make the journeys more pleasant both on the road and at home :). Thanks again! Ride safe!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Welcome to the forum from music city. My wife too is all in when the wing leaves the garage. She loves it and we ride almost every day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts