GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I commented yesterday that I'd been impressed with the test ride yesterday afternoon, and that I would get one eventually.

Eventually is the day after tomorrow. I've worked out the deal for a 2019 black nontour dct model.

I like black ... it reminds me of the old Vincents of my childhood. My friends like red. They say it is easier to keep clean and that red is faster. I've owned both in many styles of bike, and I like black.

I was considering the 2018 back in the Fall of 2017 with everyone else, but did not go through with it, to some extent because of the lengthy delay, the fear of the first model year (I got bitten with the 2012 K1600), and also because of the 112 mph speed limiter.

Perusing this and other boards, I can't tell that there are any real serious issues with these bikes.

So I'm rolling the dice. I'm kinda chuffed over the idea of it. Gotta be realistic though. I remember how excited I was over the 2007 Moto Guzzi Norge, and the 2012 K1600 GTL.

Both were traded away in less than a year.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I commented yesterday that I'd been impressed with the test ride yesterday afternoon, and that I would get one eventually.

Eventually is the day after tomorrow. I've worked out the deal for a 2019 black nontour dct model.

I like black ... it reminds me of the old Vincents of my childhood. My friends like red. They say it is easier to keep clean and that red is faster. I've owned both in many styles of bike, and I like black.

I was considering the 2018 back in the Fall of 2017 with everyone else, but did not go through with it, to some extent because of the lengthy delay, the fear of the first model year (I got bitten with the 2012 K1600), and also because of the 112 mph speed limiter.

Perusing this and other boards, I can't tell that there are any real serious issues with these bikes.

So I'm rolling the dice. I'm kinda chuffed over the idea of it. Gotta be realistic though. I remember how excited I was over the 2007 Moto Guzzi Norge, and the 2012 K1600 GTL.

Both were traded away in less than a year.
Bought DCT Tour last September. Like it more every time I ride it. Good luck with your new ride.

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
Congrats. Black looks great. After 1 1/2 years no issues at all. The best sports touring bike out there

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
ive seen it happen time and again...for a great majority of people, once you ride it, youve got to have it. Congrats!

·
Vendor
22,067 Posts

In case you aren't aware, the speed limiter can be disabled by getting your ECM reflashed.

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
ElToro; if your friends will pay for the bike, go ahead and get red. Otherwise yourself. Besides, black is always the fastest color. However, black shows the most micro scratches and this water vehicle paint is SOFT, especially when new.

prs

·
Registered
128 Posts
Congrats! Black is usually my color of choice. My Si is black...my VTX that I traded in on the '18 was Black...but the '08 wing that I also traded was...RED...not my choice - just got a great deal from a friend. If I ever get something other than black...my kids as me if I'm feeling ok...

I opted for WHITE (the fastest color) '18 Touring. I almost held out for a '19 for the Black one, but...

Anyway - you'll have no regrets.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I would never buy a black vehicle of any kind. Black shows every little defect and is way too hard to keep clean, dust shows 10 mins after its washed. Any other color is fine (they are all fast) so it just depends on the equipment and deal. :wink2:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have to drive about 110 miles to pick it up and I am not trading a bike, so I'm taking the trailer. I wish I had someone free tomorrow to give me a lift. I hope this is the only time this bike ever sees the inside of a trailer.

The trailer's hooked up. The check's been cut. I've got my gear in the truck. By tomorrow afternoon, I should be trying out the rain mode.

Thanks to Fred for pointing out that the ECU can be reflashed. That may be a good option down the road. I'm going to spend some time getting used to the DCT and figuring out the other techno babble on the bike.

Since I'm keeping the 2018 ZX14R SE ABS, which is in the black, gray, orange livery and much prettier in person than in the pictures, I do have a bike that will provide thrills when needed.

This Wing just bowled me over with the shoulder position and the knee position. My sensation is that the non tour fits me better than the tour version. I know this was the case with the regular Goldwing and the F6B. I had better leg room on the F6B, although ultimately, as my knee degraded, the bike became less and less comfortable and eventually got traded.

You should never say never, but I think that these two, ZX14R and GL1800BD, could well be the last bikes standing in my garage. SuperSport and SportTour.

FWIW, the shopping experience was interesting. I've bought many bikes over the years and have travelled as much as 1200 miles to pick them up, so I'm no stranger to doing deals on the phone.

I think how well you like a dealer is strongly impacted by how knowledgeable the salesperson is, and how honest he or she appears.

A couple of the national discounters really came across as incompetent in the knowledge and the numbers department. It must be luck of the draw to get a good salesperson, or the wayward nephew who's riding the crest of the wave hanging on for dear life.

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I picked up the bike yesterday and all the numbers were as promised. The bike was uncrated Wednesday, prepped yesterday morning, and then washed and inspected.

There was a scratch on the left upper fairing, so they replaced it.

Since I went by myself, I had to trailer it. I hope it never has to see the inside of a trailer again. But it was uneventful... not hard to load or unload.

By the time I got it unloaded and had the trailer unhitched, it was time to clean up and get ready for a social engagement. That was OK though, because it rained.

This morning at 7:40 am I headed out on the bike.

This bike (2019, 3 miles showing) was noticeably nicer performance wise than the demo bike I’d ridden Monday (2018, 3100 miles showing). I got the feeling that, in spite of its overall good impression, the demo bike felt like it had been ridden hard and put away wet in comparison to the one I ended up with. The single exception is that the suspension was set up better on the demo bike. Now that I’ve ridden mine enough to have an opinion, I’m going to stiffen it up a bit.

I had four FJR AES, so I was ready to paddle shift it. I liked the auto program so well, I decided that I’d use it as the default.

I was disappointed that reverse is so low torque. You really can’t use it to back yourself out of a chock, or out of a hole. I was hoping for a torquier reverse. I’ll probably just use neutral and Flintstone it as I’ve done with other behemoth bikes.

Overall, I’m really pleased.

FWIW, I don’t think any of the nationally prominent discounters like non-Goldwing trades, so one’s the same as the next on that count. I did not trade. I just wrote them the check. It made the whole thing very smooth, even if the finance guy was disappointed.

This bike has given me a new lease on destination riding life. I was out for twice as long this morning as I can tolerate with the ZX14R. And, more importantly, I could have stayed out longer if I did not have other things to do today.

GREAT BIKE!!! I’ve never had one that impressed me as much, including many $20k - $28k BMWs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I remember you from the the FJR forum ! Funny how one ends up wherever .
I sold my FJR and went Super Tenere. Still have that bike but my wife decided she was done riding her own and wanted a nice two up bike so we picked up a 2018 DCT. Test rode the BMW K1600 a couple times but it seemed too top heavy for us.
Anyway I'm happy you like your new Wing and welcome to the forum.
Scooper

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would never buy a black vehicle of any kind. Black shows every little defect and is way too hard to keep clean, dust shows 10 mins after its washed. Any other color is fine (they are all fast) so it just depends on the equipment and deal. :wink2:
But they just look so **** good for those 10 minutes...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But they just look so **** good for those 10 minutes...
I nearly always choose black if it’s a choice. I love the look, and they’ve all got to be cleaned

I use the Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish with micro fiber cloths. It’s an easy 5-10 minute activity when I stop for the day. Gotta clean the bugs off anyways.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I remember you from the the FJR forum ! Funny how one ends up wherever .
I sold my FJR and went Super Tenere. Still have that bike but my wife decided she was done riding her own and wanted a nice two up bike so we picked up a 2018 DCT. Test rode the BMW K1600 a couple times but it seemed too top heavy for us.
Anyway I'm happy you like your new Wing and welcome to the forum.
Scooper
The K1600 GT/GTL are definitely top heavy. That was one of many aggravations.

I thought about the K1600B as an option, and almost went for one ... but I think the GL1800BD really feels better for my left arm and right leg at this point.

I really do think that Honda hit the geometry out of the park, at least for someone with my issues.

The dealer had at least 15 Tour models lined up on the floor. Only two Non-Tours. I asked him if the Tour was more popular, or just slower to sell. He said that their record was that the Tour DCT was the most popular choice. I wonder why the FJR AE never caught on. Maybe Yamaha abandoned the concept too soon.

I will say that my first impression is that the DCT works more smoothly than the AE, and that having the full auto D mode is a plus. Also, the GL1800BD is easier to flat foot, but has better knee and hip angles, at least for me.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know that this is not a big deal as far as mileage is concerned, but I did get out again yesterday for another 115 miles after dinner.

The bike continues to impress me. I had shoulder and knee trouble if I did 52 miles on successive days on the ZX14R.

I was just shy of 200 yesterday on the GW, and only quit both runs because I had other stuff I had to do.

This bike is very slick ... the smaller bugs are getting entrained in the air flow and not sticking. Far better than the F6B in that regard.

The lights are quite nice too. I ran through a deer infested area, and had no trouble seeing past both shoulders.

Reactions: Drgsin
1 - 20 of 21 Posts