GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my kumho RF 195/55/16 at work today. Dyna beads yesterday.

Not excited about losing my tpms and really don't want to buy another gadget to put on the bikes dash. But do prefer to have a method of "seeing" tire pressure without getting on my hands and knees.

A little nervous about the change. Hopefully I won't have a slightly used kumho RF for sale in a couple of weeks. Lol......

Dw

By the way, with a 195/55 will I have to tie up my fender? If so is there and good pics? If not I will take some and post them.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm running the Kumho Ecsta and I had zero issues mounting it. As for tire pressure I check it every day (on my hands and knees). I've observed that the car tire holds its pressure far better than any motorcycle tire I've used. Happy riding!!!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Don't sweat the small stuff Racer! Get that tire mounted and installed when it comes in and enjoy the smooth ride!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
:luck:We are running the Kumho on the rear and the Stone G709 on the front. We have logged about 6000 miles since mounting the CT. Never looked back it was a good move.:lol: Installed the TireGard 2 TPMS about 1500 miles ago. The readout module hooks onto my keyring and is easy to read. Your gonna enjoy the ride.
Welcome to and embrace the Darkside.:bow:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
If that flashing "low pressure" TPMS indicator annoys you, then use some black electrical tape to cover it up.

If that gets old, you can have a look at how I disabled the TPMS.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273674

Not very difficult at all.

If you are diligent about checking your tire pressure then I wouldn't worry about the TPMS. Having one that provides the actual pressure level sure is convenient though.

Good luck with the tire and let us know what you think about it. :thumbup:

I ordered my kumho RF 195/55/16 at work today. Dyna beads yesterday.

Not excited about losing my tpms and really don't want to buy another gadget to put on the bikes dash. But do prefer to have a method of "seeing" tire pressure without getting on my hands and knees.

A little nervous about the change. Hopefully I won't have a slightly used kumho RF for sale in a couple of weeks. Lol......

Dw

By the way, with a 195/55 will I have to tie up my fender? If so is there and good pics? If not I will take some and post them.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very interesting. The Lexus vehicles will let u set the thresholds down to 26 psi. Anything below that will damage the tire, thus the firestone/Ford tragedy. I'm sure the Honda engineers don't consider "different" tires so therefore no reason to allow u to change thresholds.

Dw

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
ddub don't you will love the Kumho. I run mine at 33psi and thats riding 2 up 95% of the time. Enjoy the smooth and safe ride.:thumbup:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kumho rf guys

Ok, so those of u who run this tire and run a tpms (aftermarket) , how much pressure does the tire vary. Say from 33 to 37-38????

I will run nitrogen and therefore my pressure will change little. So if u guys get up to 38 then I could maintain factory tpms and just start at 37. And light should be off or go off quickly . I think light comes on around 37 just by where my pressure was when it came on.

If anyone has experience in this matter please reply.

Thanks dw

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
nitrogen is BS

Ok, so those of u who run this tire and run a tpms (aftermarket) , how much pressure does the tire vary. Say from 33 to 37-38????

I will run nitrogen and therefore my pressure will change little. So if u guys get up to 38 then I could maintain factory tpms and just start at 37. And light should be off or go off quickly . I think light comes on around 37 just by where my pressure was when it came on.

If anyone has experience in this matter please reply.

Thanks dw
Nitrogen is BS, nothing but a marketing ploy for the general market. My previous post on this follows, before that recommend this TPMS http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=44456&str=0 :

It's a marketing campaign thing. Some marketing guru thought of a way to make their tire store standout from the competition. LIGHT BULB! We can say how bad regular air is and that we NITROGEN your tires to improve life, less leakage, and all the other things snake oil salesman use.

The military and major civil aviation use nitrogen to fill the tires on their aircraft. Must be great - right?!?

Well, here's the reason. Not that 100% N2 is better than 78% N2 (normal air), but because 100% N2 is also 0% moisture. You take a tire up to 30,000 + feet, any moisture is going to freeze. Now take that frozen chunk of icy tire and slam it onto a runway or flight deck at over a hundred mph. You get the picture.

Yes, there is some validity to the claims of moisture in shop air being bad for the tire, the oxygen and moisture will accelerate aging. Sort of like the cyclamate scare of the 70's. Got's to use an inordinate amount to make a difference. And yes, there is going to be some residual "air" in the tire unless the tire company fills and purges the tire several times - which ain't going to happen.

But big picture here fellas. Your tires sit out in the real world all the time, and the real world has (can we say it?? - Should we say it??) YES - the real world has air with oxygen, and there's even rain out there. Think the tire will fall apart from all that nasty stuff?? Nah, I didn't think so either.

Regarding N2 holding it's pressure longer than "regular" air - difference is negligible. Consumer Reports did a study in 2006-2007, after a year there was only a 1.3 psi difference between N2 and air. http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...nitrogen-.html

End result - never trust a guy in the advertising business. And NEVER pay for N2 inflation.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know, and if u put a car tire on a motorcycle it will explode when u hit 47.2 mph.

Not gonna argue the nitrogen point with anybody. I have been using nitrogen on a daily basis in car tires with tpms for 4--5 years now. It works. Period. My down time for chasing low air pressure tire lights went from 12-15 a day for my group of techs to maybe 1-2 a week. We recovered our lost productivity.

Dw.

So again if u are running this tire and monitor what the air pressure does, please reply.

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I know, and if u put a car tire on a motorcycle it will explode when u hit 47.2 mph.

Not gonna argue the nitrogen point with anybody. I have been using nitrogen on a daily basis in car tires with tpms for 4--5 years now. It works. Period. My down time for chasing low air pressure tire lights went from 12-15 a day for my group of techs to maybe 1-2 a week. We recovered our lost productivity.

Dw.

So again if u are running this tire and monitor what the air pressure does, please reply.
And everyone laughs at me because I only go 35mph!:thumbup::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
297 Posts
kumho

I run my Kumho @ 38. I ride 2 up most of the time. When I am alone I can (and have!) dragged the pegs at 70 mph. The Kumho and the TPMS are working just fine..

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I run my Kumho @ 38. I ride 2 up most of the time. When I am alone I can (and have!) dragged the pegs at 70 mph. The Kumho and the TPMS are working just fine..

Wow!!! Kewl, thanks

Dw

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Jolly, do you have a few thousand miles on your Kumho yet? If so, how many miles and what is the tread depth across the tire? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
If its a RF, 38 could wear the middle out faster. Most wear even around 32 psi.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
To answer the pressure question, I seemed to hit my happy spot with 33 psi. Gives me a bit of wiggle room for slight pressure loss, soft enough for good ride, firm enough for no actual wiggles when cornering. Goes up to about 37.5 to 38.5 when warm.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts