GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the exhaust pipes on each side of my 2003 with 9K miles is dark with soot. Also, I get just under 35 mph in Houston. Started out new at 38 mpg.

It seems the bike is running rich per the indications noted above. There is no F1 light displayed.

Can the richness be adjusted?

Any suggestions from the Board's Wisdomry is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mike,

Only one of the three holes in each of the tail pipes actually have exhaust coming out of them. It's probably taken this long for the exhaust gas deposits to build up enough to be visable. If it's extremely sooty though, that, in conjunction with the drop in mileage, could be an indication of a FI or fuel pressure problem. Others on this board are more knowledgeable than I on those points, so, I'll defer any speculation on that to the more technically inclined.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Only one of the pipes actually has exhaust coming out of it. The other two are for looks. Slowly lowering MPG can be indicative of change in riding habits or problems with the o2 sensor(s). The F1 light may not show up for a while. Mine got down to about 25 mph as I recall. O2s were replaced under warranty.
One thing you might want to try is disconnecting the battery overnight, then starting without touching the throttle for a few minutes. This helps sometimes by way of FM (F------ Magic). Anyway, worth a try. Good luck.

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
Cooler weather will drop your mpg! :( A tank of lousy gas can also affect mpg. How many tanks have you seen the drop in? No adjustments. :(

·
Registered
221 Posts
Has your ECM been changed out?
I gained 4mpg after it's replacement.

You might also try resetting your ECM by disconnecting the battery ground for several hours. After reconnecting the battery, start the bike without touching the throttle and let it idle for 3 min. If you have any radio presets make a note of them as you will loose them.
:yw1:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The mpg has declined over several thousand miles.

The Demon in the throttle may play a role, but the mileage seems to be the same highway, city, two-up, alone and frisky or with my GWRRA chapter. Otherwise, it runs great.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My first suspicion would be the O2 sensors (one or both), especially if MPG goes near 30. Mine new got 29 MPG while running like a dream, but went to 42 avg after Right O2 sensor replaced under warranty. At my insistence, I might add.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The soot in the pipe is as others have said. For the reduction of MPG 38 to 35 I would say is nothing more than the temperature drop of winter coming. My MPG goes up and down with the temperature as low as 32 as high as 40. :?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts