GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, old neck injuries starting to really bother me. If you've had neck problems made worse from riding, what did you do?

I'm thinking of of switching from a 4 pound full face helmet, to a 2 pound half-helmet.

I'm thinking of trying a dirt bike style neck roll that some folks have said helps support the full face helmet.

I'm wondering about the Madstad windshield to create a larger still air pocket for less head jostling.

Feedback? Other suggestions?

Thank.

PS
Already had shots. Can't afford surgery right now.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I've had degenerative disks in my neck since I was a kid (60 years ago) from an injury. Had some very painful times as I entered my middle age years. Since joining a health club (gym) late in life and exercising regularly (I now go 3x/wk) it has been much better. Took to heart advise that strengthening muscles around troubled spots does much to prevent flair-ups. My neck still bothers me some after a workout but it's much less than what I had been enduring previously. You should talk to your Dr about this.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have had good luck with the neck pillow like you use when sleeping on airplanes. Put it around my neck backwards with the opening to the rear. It helps support my helmet very well.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
neck pain

I'm not a Dr. and I've never had a neck injury, but if the pain you have is the pain at the base of your neck, just above your shoulders, I solve that one with handle bar risers. Getting a 90* elbow bend is needed for me to ride in comfort.

Richard

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
So, old neck injuries starting to really bother me. If you've had neck problems made worse from riding, what did you do?

I'm thinking of of switching from a 4 pound full face helmet, to a 2 pound half-helmet.

I'm thinking of trying a dirt bike style neck roll that some folks have said helps support the full face helmet.

I'm wondering about the Madstad windshield to create a larger still air pocket for less head jostling.

Feedback? Other suggestions?

Thank.

PS

Already had shots. Can't afford surgery right now.
A tall wind shield will do it . I have a tulsa ex tall . and I use a 3/4 with a full viser and run withviser up all the time less heavy rain.
neck / arm stretches will get you back to normal

·
Registered
21,102 Posts
Years ago I used to have a lot of neck pain, a couple times was even off work because of the pain, going to doctors or chiropractors never helped at all, one day someone told me to try walking while holding arms straight out at shoulder height, it supposedly excersises neck muscles, well for me it did the trick, I still have some neck pain but nothing like I used to have, it's about a hundred yards out to my mailbox and I often walk out there with my arms out at shoulder height. :thumbup:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've had degenerative disks in my neck since I was a kid (60 years ago) from an injury. Had some very painful times as I entered my middle age years. Since joining a health club (gym) late in life and exercising regularly (I now go 3x/wk) it has been much better. Took to heart advise that strengthening muscles around troubled spots does much to prevent flair-ups. My neck still bothers me some after a workout but it's much less than what I had been enduring previously. You should talk to your Dr about this.
+1

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm sorry, but I already tried exercise. No joy there.

Short term, I'm switching to my old, plastic, open-face helmet and running the windshield all the way up. (Drat ... Now I'll have to wash the darned thing.)

I also ordered an EVS motorcycle neck roll AND the Bell Pit Boss helmet. They won't work together, but One of them should do the trick. If one doesn't work, back it goes to Revzilla.

I should be able to report back here soon.

image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Years ago I used to have a lot of neck pain, a couple times was even off work because of the pain, going to doctors or chiropractors never helped at all, one day someone told me to try walking while holding arms straight out at shoulder height, it supposedly excersises neck muscles, well for me it did the trick, I still have some neck pain but nothing like I used to have, it's about a hundred yards out to my mailbox and I often walk out there with my arms out at shoulder height. :thumbup:
I guess you can tell them you were sleep walking. I will try it though. By the way don't buy the mad stad for less helmet buffeting, it doesn't provide it.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Have fusion 6/7, recurring bulges above and below with neuropathy to left shoulder/traps'...exercises, regular neck traction, multi level stenosis, yada yada yada.

Here is what I have learned in regards to the Gold Wing.... get the bars right. Up and back works for some, but we're all different and you might need something different than "up and back". Measure your reach and distance to the grips and you'll figure it out. Remember, the higher the arms, the more you're involving the neck muscles. Helmet, lighter is generally better, but if you ride a lot of highway, poor aerodynamics/buffeting of even the lightest helmet could easily be contributing to the problem. I went from a HJC modular to a Shuberth and that did the trick for me.
ATTENTION: The wind screen is the biggest factor in how much your head buffets. Less head buffeting = less neck and back fatigue. Find a windshield that puts you in a nice quiet and still vacuum...when you find it you will discover what you've been missing out on. The seat is the foundation for your riding posture. A comfortable azz doesn't equate to proper posture. The Wing has a very wide seat that spreads the hips and places the knees abnormally far apart for smaller people it's just not ergonomically correct and the back has to compensate. A custom seat could do wonders.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Neck pain

At one point I had a leather jacket that put pressure on the back of my neck. I did not figure this out until I sold the jacket and got something else. Just a thought.

Rayjoe

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My degenerative discs in my neck caused me to make modifications to my '02 and my '14. I use the "bar backs" from Kury. Moving the handlebars back and inch or so completely changed my posture on the bike. No longer does my neck hurt me.

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
Went to see a really good looking masseuse! :nojoke::doorag:
Yes! I have a really good looking, 5', 2" model permanently installed on my back seat. When I shrug my shoulders while rolling my head she automatically goes to work on my back, shoulders and neck area. She is even trained to pause in curves!

Your temporary access model - or even surgery - might be less expensive, but I really love my ABM, Automatic Back Massage!

Seriously, keep your head moving. Don't glance in the mirrors, turn your head. Look around, focus on pointing your nose at all the things you want to glance at and then back to the front. For me, trying to hold my head still is when I start to bind up, get stiff and sore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Don't recall anyone mentioning a backrest, as usually everyone has one, but if you do not have one that is the first place I would start. Lets you sit more relaxed and can be adjusted for better posture. Gives you a more relaxed grip on the bars ect, ect,..

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I put over 100K miles on my ST1100, most of them in pain. Switched to a GL1800, purchased in AR and drove home to Dallas, within 50 miles the pain was back. I eventually installed a backrest and I can now drive hundreds of miles without pain. Something about taking part of the support off the shoulders did the trick.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
I used to have occasional neck pain when, especially on windy days
For me replacing the windshield and adding hand wings took care of it.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
eve

I rode for years with a back rest and would get that pain at the base of the neck/between the shoulders. I took a brief hiatus from Goldwings in 2013 and traded my 08 wing for a BMW K1600 with no backrest. All of my pain disappeared, even on 500+ mile days. After 18 months I went back to a 2015 wing and no backrest this time. I have no back, neck, or shoulder pain. I'm guessing that the backrest actually weakens muscles that need to be strengthened for proper posture. Just my guess...but no more backrest for me. Just for fun, ride without it for a while and see if it makes a difference.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts