GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I purchased all balls seal kit from Shinhopples which has the sliders, bushes, seals, clip etc (2008 GL). I look at the OEM parts fiche and it shows a #14 RING, BACK UP which appears to be another seal type thingo below the actual seal and above the bush guide.

The all balls kit has two 'o' rings but not this other type ring back up. The question is, is the back up ring just an 'o' ring? and if I replace the seals with all balls, is there need for this other ring (if not the 'o' ring)?

I will call Shinhopples tomorrow but just thought I would request some other expert advice!

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I had the same question when looking at the ALLBALLS kit. They don't appear to have the packing for the left fork which was added in 06.
I went with the OEM kit from Wingstuff which does include the packing.

·
Registered
401 Posts
confused

The all balls kit has absolutely nothing do do with the forks - so I am confused.
...gene

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
The new bikes have the extra seal. The older bikes do not. The ALL BALLS FORK SEAL KIT is evidently set-up for the older style. Ask Bull Dog at Shinhopples about how to proceed. I think Fred's service CD for the new bikes covers this and I "think" he was not too impressed with the potential of the extra seal to actually contribute. I an not at all sure if you can just skip it though. What year model is the bike in question?

prs

·
Registered
5,260 Posts

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
In the '06 fiche & SM, it's listed as "packing" and goes between the two back up rings (earlier models had only one." IIR when I did mine, it's a pretty hard substance and it won't hurt to just reuse the old one even tho the service manual calls for new.

Image1.jpg

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
On the All Balls website, it states that their fork seal kit fits '01 - '14 GL1800s. Not sure how that can be since the newer models require the extra seal.

I sent an email inquiry to All Balls asking about this. Will post their answer.

http://www.allballsracing.com/56-139.html

I finally received an answer from All Balls about their fork seal kit fitting '01 through '14 GL1800s. What do you think about his question? Below...

Jim,
The extra seal is like a pre-scraper correct? Currently I have been recommending that people reuse the OEM scrapers. Is this something I should add to the kit?

Alex Geiger

All Balls Racing
822 N Reading Ave
Boyertown, PA 19512
Tel: 888-228-3323
Fax: 888-552-0557
[email protected]
www.allballsracing.com

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree...add it to the kit...then it would rally be a 'complete' rebuild kit.

Shinhopples called All Balls as well so will be interesting to hear the results of the discussion.

So my way forward will be to reuse the old 'back up ring'

Thanks for contributions to the thread.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
That was a back-up seal honda added because of the frequency of left seals blowing when the anti dive stuck. If the anti dive is disabled you can eliminate that secondary seal, if your anti dive is still functioning you can reuse it, should be no issues. Traxxion sell a spacer to replace the back-up seal and alum ring when installing their springs and disabling the AD.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
PS: packing is only on the left fork, not the right. Here's the right.

Image1.jpg

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts