GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:oops: Greetings ALL!!!!
When the frame issue surface quite some time ago I went right out and checked my 2003 Goldwing with a mirror, magnifying glass, flashlights and even recieved help from work peers and friends inspecting the suspect area. I have kept a close eye on it ever since. I was begining to think that I had one of those bikes that would not have a problem.
In the latter part of the fall last year I developed a failure in the dust boot for the universal joint. I called my local dealer and he said it would be ok to ride while he ordered the part and scheduled my repair. Well I never coordinated the repair time with him and I thought it could wait until riding season was over for the winter. This week I called him and said I'd like to get the bike to him before the weather changes to the riding season we all enjoy here in Michigan, it was 66 yesterday but back to the 40's today. He said he had another wing in the shop being welded and he'd like to get mine in next week or the week after that at the latest. I asked him if the welding was neccessary and he said that Honda had a recall on my bike and he'd like to fix it properly. I told him I had been checking and had seen no indication of cracks developing but he said that didn't matter and Honda was going to take care of it. He said he'd have it for about a week to complete the boot repair and the welding.
So I guess I'm just crying :( about it but I would like to hear from a few people that have had their bikes welded. I have full confidence in my local dealer and hopefully I can enjoy a full riding season in 2004.
Thanks for listening.
8)

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
JMHO, but I think you should get it welded. I was one of the unlucky few that cracked so bad the frame had to be replaced. Now I'm the proud owner of a 2004. If you & your dealer are on good speaking terms, & he hasn't tried putting the shaft to you, then let him fix it. As I said first, JMHO. Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah Wingnut,

It's a 2004 allright and that's great!

But it's BURP...UH PURPLE :shock:

Gordon

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Speed, get the weld done. Honda has put out the call, and if a Winger don't answer, he/she could have problems down the road. Should your frame have a problem outside of "reasonable time" Honda could tell you to go piss in a boot.

While you are there, get your ECM done if you haven't already. Have them change the air filter since they have the beast gutted. Get the cruise calibrated if it needs it as well. Also, get the left bag latch fixed if needed. Get it all done at one "down time" and then ride on!

Another thing you might want to consider, is to have your brake & clutch fluids changed if they are due.

All the best

Bulldog

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Welding of frame etc

I have an 04 that replaced my totaled 01. I assume that when a bike gets updated with the ECM, cooling check, frame weld, etc that it is equal to the 04, minus the illuminated controls, muffler heat baffle, vented windshiled, painted engine, different valve covers, etc.

I was very skeptical about the ECM change. However, my 04 is a very solid citizen. It is much smoother than the 01 in the lower engine rpm range, and there has never been the slightest hint of the temperature climbing.

Also, I don't know if it is the change ffrom Honda Synthetic to Amsoil or not, but the bike uses absolutely no oil. It has been 7,000 since the last change, ant the oil level is still slightly above the mid mark.

I would say to do all the bulletins that apply. Also, any inspection that would check any damage from running with a damaged boot.

We had a spectacular day today and I led a ride that included both breakfast and lunch in the Texas Hill Country.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Do it.. Mine was done in January and I have more peace of mind knowing it's done.. :D
No cost to you and if you trust the dealer to do a proper job, it's a no lose situation.... Keep in mind that there have been bikes that didn't show the cracks until the welds were ground down :shock:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Had mine done, the frame and ECM, back in January. No problems at all and the bike still runs great.

My dealer found a couple of the bikes were cracked under the weld. This was discovered after the grinding. The welds were breaking from the inside out. If the owners hadn't brought in the bikes for the recall they probably would have failed sooner or later. In my opinion the recall caught the cracks before they failed, which is one of the things it's supposed to do.

If for nothing more than financial peace of mind, get it done. If you fail to follow the recall(s) you'll end up liable for any failure that later results. That’s money coming out of your pocket. That’s a roll of the dice I wasn’t willing to take.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I say do it. Dealer had mine one week and it was pretty painless. From what I can see the bike only suffered a light 4" vertical scratch in the windshield and the right exhaust tail pipe is a little crooked, kinda twisted clockwise bringing it closer to the rear fender than the left tail pipe.

Although I prefer not to have gone through these recalls, I feel pretty good about what has been done and am more confidnet in the bike now. Gas mileage seems about the same, the bike is smoother and more controlable from a stop.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:D Thanks all,
Some very good points here. I will have all the work done that Honda is recalling for. I will be calling the dealer Monday to ask exactly what day he wants the bike in and if he has all the required parts for ALL the recalls involved. The cruise could use adjusting now that I think of it, Thanks for reminding me of that and I think I'll have him mount my new back tire as well and put new brake pads in the rear too.
I have a pretty good relationship with the owner and service man. They know me from years back so I have all the confidence in them to take care of whatever mother Honda is recalling for.
:shock: I just hate having my baby away from home, and in someone else's bedroom at night. :cry:
8) I'll get over it. :?
8)

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Ditto to what everyone else has said. Get the frame weld out of the way. If something were to happen down the road and you didn't have it done, Honda might tell you to take a walk. Not to mention, some insurance companies are always on the lookout for any excuse to deny a claim.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts