GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I remove old and install new will my radio stations, screen and mileage still be there? From past experience the mileage was always saved on removal and installation on my Harleys. Just not sure if there is anything I need to do first on the 08 Goldwing. Thanks, Arty

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Milage will always stay BUT I "think" all radio stations will be lost :shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Milage will always stay BUT I "think" all radio stations will be lost :shrug::shrug:
Radio settings, suspension settings, and clock will be lost.

I have not done it since I gave up doing car stereo installs years ago. But I used to have a 9 volt battery attached to a cigarette lighter socket through a diode for retaining memory backup whenever I did an install. (The diode is really important.) I don't remember if there was anything else to it. I'm sure someone has it on the Internet somewhere. It's an old installer's trick. It prevented the car ECM from losing all its backup settings.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Radio settings, suspension settings, and clock will be lost.

I have not done it since I gave up doing car stereo installs years ago. But I used to have a 9 volt battery attached to a cigarette lighter socket through a diode for retaining memory backup whenever I did an install. (The diode is really important.) I don't remember if there was anything else to it. I'm sure someone has it on the Internet somewhere. It's an old installer's trick. It prevented the car ECM from losing all its backup settings.
Draw that circuit please.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Draw that circuit please.
I don't have my drawing program installed. It is just a cigaretter lighter connected to a 9 volt battery connector that you can get from radio shack. In the positive wire, install a power supply diode in series, with the anode facing the 9 volt battery. The diode is needed so that the car battery doesn't try to charge the 9 volt battery. Fuse it too, with a .5 amp fuse. Memory circuits are all powered with 5 volts or less, so a 9 volt battery works perfect.

Or you can just get this one from Summit Racing. I did some research after I made my post and found that all sorts of companies make them now. (I guess we were way ahead of our time.) :lol: I don't know why the Summit one is two pieces. You might be able to get them from any auto parts store. Ask for a memory protector.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmr-w89203?seid=srese1&gclid=CNft2dG6yr0CFe9QOgodHCgAnw

·
Registered
679 Posts
In addition to the other items lost, as mentioned above, will you lose the MP3 player also?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Battery

Connect a trickle charger to the battery cables before unhooking the battery. This will keep all settings. I do this when changing car batteries.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Connect a trickle charger to the battery cables before unhooking the battery. This will keep all settings. I do this when changing car batteries.
I really recommend against doing this. Many chargers will float the voltage, up to about 19 volts when there is no load hooked up to them. The memory circuits are not enough of a load to bring the voltage down. Semiconductors can handle it usually, but capacitors get stressed. Most automotive capacitors are only rated for 16 volts.

Some smart chargers won't even turn on if they are not hooked up to a battery. The moment you disconnect the cables from the battery, the charger will turn off.

·
Outta Here by M2
1 Posts
When you use the 9V battery in the lighter socket, don't you have to have the key switch in the accessory position for the socket to be connected? Then when you disconnect the main battery, won't the accessory relay drop out due to reduced voltage? Wouldn't matter if the lighter socket isn't switched off with the key. Just wondering.

John

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
When you use the 9V battery in the lighter socket, don't you have to have the key switch in the accessory position for the socket to be connected? Then when you disconnect the main battery, won't the accessory relay drop out due to reduced voltage? Wouldn't matter if the lighter socket isn't switched off with the key. Just wondering.

John
That is a good point. You can only use this on a socket that is live with the ignition off. Many people have one for things like heated gear, compressor, battery charger, etc. If yours works off of the ignition, this won't work. When we did this trick on cars, all cars had an actual cigarette lighter, and it was live and all times.

Do not turn the ignition on with the 9 volt battery installed. it will drain in about 1 minute if you do that. The relays may or many not work, but that won't stop them from trying.

Instead of a cigarette lighter socket, you can put large alligator clips on the ends and hook them to the battery leads instead. It is a little more cumbersone that way, but if you can change the battery without the clips falling off, it would work.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Waldo's been busy. Either one of those would work.

What is that program you are using to create the drawings.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I replaced my 9 year old battery today, my wing purchased in April 2005.

Like mentioned above, I lost the usual suspects. I just started it up, and programmed in the clock, and my fav. radio stations.

I'm sure that if I've missed anything, I'll know soon. I got the important stuff done. ;)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Didn't lose anything...

except the clock.

I replaced the original battery on my '08 yesterday and left it on the tender overnight to give it the "charge for 5 to 10 hours at 1 to 2 amps". This AM she fired right up. The only thing that I lost was the clock. Rear suspension presets and radio presets were still there. The clock reset itself about a block down the street, once the NAVI had a chance to connect with the satellites.

·
Registered
419 Posts
KNEW I was gonna need a battery before start of riding season. So I cleaned the garage yesterday and went to start the WING and the battery went south. So I'm trying to decide on ordering a yuasa and wait, Or try Wally World. Went to WW and got the 20 lbs and came home and filled it. Let it sit for 1 hour, then put it on the tender for 8 hours. TOOK IT OFF AND PUT IT IN BIKE, Then 30 mins later, I fired up the bike. I will monitor and see how long my $82.00 last. LOL

·
Registered
419 Posts
BY THE WAY, I only had to set my clock. Radio stations and seat memory were still intact.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
BY THE WAY, I only had to set my clock. Radio stations and seat memory were still intact.
You must have changed it fast. I have found that the capacitors in some radios drain slower than others. Once in awhile the radio will hold the settings, but not on every bike. Some last a half hour. Some drain in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I have had two 2010 airbag Wings, and I would disconnect the batteries whenever I replaced the air filter. Both bikes always retained the clock setting. My previous Wings would not.
So what is different about the 2010?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I have had two 2010 airbag Wings, and I would disconnect the batteries whenever I replaced the air filter. Both bikes always retained the clock setting. My previous Wings would not.
So what is different about the 2010?
The NAVI controls the clock in your 2010s and can't be set manually.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts