GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that has a question about putting a car tire on an 06. I don't have the answer, so i will come to the board with the question.

Has anyone had a problem putting a Ct on an 06 model?

It is my understanding that there are some configuration changes on the rear of the bike with the Amp or something like that.

We are not concerned about fitment on05 and earlier models.

Thanks in advance for my friend.

No, Dawg is not going to a CT unless I am putting it on my "C".

Bulldog

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't get it, car tires are not meant for leaning over and cornering!

Is someone considering putting one on a Trike or sidcar hack!

I bought a used bike many years ago, and promptly fell going around a corner, and discovered an ordinary car tire on the back!! No rounded sidewalls, just a flat across tread design!

Am I missing something here??

Jonar G., the original WHITEFANG

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Jonar G. I realize that the concept of a car tire on a motorcycle is rather alien to many of us. However there are a number of folks on this board that have mounted a car tire on their GL1800.

They have ridden their GL1800 for many miles this way and feel it is best for them. I have read a number of the posts and admit it probably is not as unsafe as I first thought. In fact it seems to work well for many.

I suspect after more testing and trial we will get better info and more detailed results.

Sounds like Honda may have taken steps to stop this with the 06!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Use the SEARCH function at the top of the page and put in "Dark Side", including the double quote marks and scan the posts. Some will not apply but others will. One link from that search is:
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75223&highlight=dark+side

Hope this leads you in the right direction. Many have reported a great improvement in ride and handling with these car tires mounted. And it is also suppose to correct some of the speedometer errors that Honda has built into most of their bikes. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
You guys that put on car tires, do you get white walls or white lettering and which side do you put the white on? :lol:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Dawg, on my 06 the amp was in the rear, slightly higher tham where the reciever hitch was. I do not see any reason if a CT would fit on a 01-05 it would not fit on a 06-07 except you would have to get it a little higher to slide it in through the rear or lay the bike on it's side and slide in in from the bottom.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
You guys that put on car tires, do you get white walls or white lettering and which side do you put the white on?
The outside. on the back wheel.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Tell your friend though that wisdom would be to get a run flat car tire. I've read articles where someone had a flat and it remained up (if a little squirlly) when flat. That's probably as much as you could expect even with a flat MC tire. They usually cost a little more than normal car tires, but it would be well worth it.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Dawg,

You were beggin' for a thread jack on this one.

:wink:

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
harvey said:
Jonar G. I realize that the concept of a car tire on a motorcycle is rather alien to many of us. However there are a number of folks on this board that have mounted a car tire on their GL1800.
WHAT!!!! Number of folks!!!!!
There are probably less than 20 members of this board of "THOUSANDS" that have put on a car tire. At what point do you start calling less than 1% (and I'm being generous here), "A number of folks"????
There are only a scant few who have even tried it and many less that have reported on it (And two of the biggest blow hards are the same person! Or at least one of the two claimed they were, "One in the same"). So where do you get, "A number of folks"? :roll:

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
nedro said:
harvey said:
WHAT!!!! Number of folks!!!!!
There are probably less than 20 members of this board of "THOUSANDS" that have put on a car tire. At what point do you start calling less than 1% (and I'm being generous here), "A number of folks"????
There are only a scant few who have even tried it and many less that have reported on it (And two of the biggest blow hards are the same person! Or at least one of the two claimed they were, "One in the same"). So where do you get, "A number of folks"? :roll:
If i am not mistaken... all Boss Hoss.. come with a CAR TIRE.. and i think they have sold a few..

cosmic

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I'd be paranoid putting a car tire on. Besides I'd never do it! lol

Bulldog said:
I have a friend that has a question about putting a car tire on an 06. I don't have the answer, so i will come to the board with the question.

Has anyone had a problem putting a Ct on an 06 model?

It is my understanding that there are some configuration changes on the rear of the bike with the Amp or something like that.

We are not concerned about fitment on05 and earlier models.

Thanks in advance for my friend.

No, Dawg is not going to a CT unless I am putting it on my "C".

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
nedro said:
At what point do you start calling less than 1% (and I'm being generous here), "A number of folks"????
Especially if we're talking integers.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK,

Thanks to everyone for your points and opinions.

The original question was: Is there any problem with "fit", getting a CT on an 06 model with the amp.

Please don't continue about the whys and what fors about a CT. I ain't doing it. I only want to hear from someone that has an 06/07 model that "has" put a CT on that year model.

I repeat, It is not for me.

Anyone that can not help with this answer, is invited to please not respond. Thank you!

Bulldog

G

·
Bulldog,

Do a check on Kemisashi tires. Someone just sent me a brochure that indicates they have a run-flat car tire designed especially for the GL1800. And it shows as fitting the 2001-2007 models.

I know, I know, I didn't believe it either.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Bulldog,

This is kinda like some of the strike posts you started about Goodyear... They all somehow ended up being "Why I hate unions" posts.

I guess you sometimes just draw those kind of people :wink: :wink:

Oh, by the way, are you going to wear out your rear tire on your new bike before you install the c/t or just put in on when you get the new bike home :?: :wink: :wink:

Ross

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
Bulldog,
Do a check on Kemisashi tires.
At least it's a popular brand that is easy to find and everybody is familiar with. There you go; no liability concerns selling that product.
Go ahead and Google that brand.

·
Registered
237 Posts
For what it's worth, Boss Hoss's don't come with a car tire on back. Some put them on however. I did and promptly took it off.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
Bulldog,
Do a check on Kemisashi tires.
Bulldog, good luck with getting a straight answer on this subject that seems to arouse such anger for no reason.

Hal, I guess I am just being dense, but I don't get it.??? I can find no reference to this tire, so I assume (I know that is dangerous) this is a joke that is too deep for me. :?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts