I need help my differencial is almost done
I was told it wont make it back to Wisconsin
Does anybody have something to help me get back on the road
right now we are in Orono ME which is close to Bangor, here for 2 days
Then we will be heading to Rock Port ME for 2 days

·
Registered
858 Posts
Just bought one today on Ebay for 50 bucks brand new...If I already had it I would overnight it to you. Maybe someone else already has one ready to go who would do the same.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
If you can make it south to Kennebunkport, I have a garage and tools you can use, but sadly, no final drive.

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
Kevin have u tried looking for some trike builders up there ? good chance they would have what u need

i have a final drive that works fine but has 198,000 miles on it, i would be happy to give to u for free, give me a call if u want it shipped up there

other than the breakdown it sounds like u are on a very nice trip :thumbup:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
mrwoody, I am located in Virginia and have a final drive off of a 2004 (I think it has approx 30,000 miles on it). You are more than welcome to it if you want it.

Here are the terms. Over the next six months you replace mine with one of equal value (mileage wise). You pay any associated shipping. I can get it to FedEx first thing MON morning, 08 AUG.

I will be on the road tomorrow and SUN. I'll PM you my home phone number just so you'll have it.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
mrwoody, I am located in Virginia and have a final drive off of a 2004 (I think it has approx 30,000 miles on it). You are more than welcome to it if you want it.

Here are the terms. Over the next six months you replace mine with one of equal value (mileage wise). You pay any associated shipping. I can get it to FedEx first thing MON morning, 08 AUG.

I will be on the road tomorrow and SUN. I'll PM you my home phone number just so you'll have it.
This is one of the reasons I love this board. People willing to help others. I wonder if a '04 drive will work on an '07. I thought in '06 the FD (or maybe the drive shaft) was a made little longer or shorter. Rocky or Greg?

Way to go Dick! :thumbup:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
This is one of the reasons I love this board. People willing to help others. I wonder if a '04 drive will work on an '07. I thought in '06 the FD (or maybe the drive shaft) was a made little longer or shorter. Rocky or Greg?

Way to go Dick! :thumbup:
Yes, the final drive will work. I believe in 2006 they lengthened the shaft by about 1 1/2 inches. But he didn't indicate he needed a shaft.:shrug:

Edit: I was wrong. It wasn't quite 1 1/2 inches. Here is a partial post from Larry Price:
Drive shaft length for the GL1800 2001 through 2005 is;

49cm or 19 5/16 inches.

The drive shaft part numbers for a GL1800 2006 through 2008 is;
40200-MCA-A60

Drive shaft length for the GL1800 2006 through 2008 is;

51.5cm or 20 1/4 inches.

The whole post is here:
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2619652&postcount=15

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
All the drives are the same from 04 up.

The only difference in the 01-03 drives is a brake hose mount.It's not tapped On the side of the housing for a bolt in those years.
But it is from 04-12.
They changed the brake hose location in 04 and added a heat shield to the right muffler.

But in a pinch a 01-03 will work too.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
ABS ring for rotor? Looks like his is an ABS bike.

·
Registered
257 Posts
rear drive

I live north of Chiago and have several. Don't konw what it would cost to ship? Can find out tomorrow if you want.
Larry

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
If a trailer relay works to get a trailer across the country in a few days, maybe we should try some parts runs? A ride and a good deed rolled into one

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will have to do some calling tomorrow
how would I deal with the drive shaft issue
short of making it to LD riders place
will b doing the change in a parking lot

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
I will have to do some calling tomorrow
how would I deal with the drive shaft issue
short of making it to LD riders place
will b doing the change in a parking lot
driveshaft and final drive both could be changed easy enough in a parking lot

final drive and driveshaft don't usually both go bad at the same time, what exactly are the symtoms you are experiencing on your wing ?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was around Niagra Falls that I started to hear the grumbling a little the next 2 days it got a little louder but was holding at that level
Today we stoped at a dealer and I asked if they would look to see just how bad it is, the oil was all metal flaked but no chunks yet,
the guy said it will go a ways but didnt think its going to make it all the way to Wis
They flushed it out and I got an extra qt to change it in a couple hundred
and now Im hoping to find what I need to fix it before it recks the rest of the trip

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
What's up Kevin?? Give me a call. I have you one waiting to be shipped if needed. Talked to Sherm this morning and the one is a 06 model. Just take your ABS ring off and get after it. Let me know.
Rick.read post #6 about the ABS ring.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts