GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a annoying problem with my '06 Wing's sound system. When I ride over a bump the sound system will go from stereo to mono, then over another bump from mono back to stereo, etc. This happens whether I'm using my iPod or my XM radio. The cord to helmet seems OK (tried my wife's and the same problem occurs); helmet speakers seem OK. Has anyone had this problem and can suggest a fix?

Thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
Stereo to mono... Nope never had that happen.

I did have an intermittant problem where I lost the left audio.

Never did find out what was causing it. I could stop it by taking off the top shelter and unplugging the audio unit.

That would fix it for about three or four months, then it would come back.

Luckily, I guess, I was taking of the shelter every few months so the problem only came back once or twice every year.

The new '09 fixed it...;)

John

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
It's your audio plug connector under the left pocket. The one in the pic.

What you need to do is disconnect the plugs. For the female connectors, use a hat pin and put it down between the metal and the plastic and give a little leverage to squeeze the female tighter. On the male side, push an awl into the end of the mail connector and expand so it will have more girth.

Lather them up with bulb grease and reconnect. That should solve your problem. The plug lives really close to the radiator and does not like the heat so the females get sloppy and the males get tight. Here (and in nature) you want the females tight and the male with greater girth for maximum effect.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's your audio plug connector under the right pocket. The one in the pic.

What you need to do is disconnect the plugs. For the female connectors, use a hat pin and put it down between the metal and the plastic and give a little leverage two squeeze the female tighter. On the male side, push an awl into the end of the mail connector and expand so it will have more girth.

Lather them up with bulb grease and reconnect. That should solve your problem. The plug lives really close to the radiator and does not like the heat so the females get sloppy and the males get tight. Here (and in nature) you want the the females tight and the male with greater girth for maximum effect.

Waldo, thanks for your expeditious reply. I guess you gotta go back to nature to figure out some problems! I'll do this after winter which seems to be headed our way (think you may get it too) and hopefully will be over by the weekend.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Waldo--finally got around to following your advice re: the mono/stereo problem. Did exactly what you noted and the problem is fixed. One slight problem was I couldn't find the audio plug connector--I looked and looked and then realized you must have meant the left pocket. I took it off and there it was! Thanks again for helping me solve what was a annoying problem,

Hondaglide

1 - 5 of 5 Posts