GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that some older GL1800 sounds quieter than my 05 GL1800, I've had regular maintenance on it, there are no air leaks coming from the exhaust system that I can find. :shrug:

waiting for any reply thanks

·
Vendor
18,595 Posts
How many miles do you have. The ones that are quieter probably have less milage meaning "newer"mufflers. I would guess you have over 80K.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Why is it that some older GL1800 sounds quieter than my 05 GL1800, I've had regular maintenance on it, there are no air leaks coming from the exhaust system that I can find. :shrug:

waiting for any reply thanks
My 2010 was very quiet for the first 6,000 Km's or so. Then it got louder and its just one muffler the one on the right side...has a pronounced rumble....most noticeable...! And it has some funny stuff in the tail pipe that I have NO idea what it is. The tail pipe on the inside is white'ish with what almost lookings like salt crystal...I know its not that...but thats the only way I can describe it. The other one the tail pipe is black inside and has always been black from the exhaust....but not the right side one...has a white'ish coating. Anyone have a clue what that is all about....?????

·
Registered
582 Posts
My 2010 was very quiet for the first 6,000 Km's or so. Then it got louder and its just one muffler the one on the right side...has a pronounced rumble....most noticeable...! And it has some funny stuff in the tail pipe that I have NO idea what it is. The tail pipe on the inside is white'ish with what almost lookings like salt crystal...I know its not that...but thats the only way I can describe it. The other one the tail pipe is black inside and has always been black from the exhaust....but not the right side one...has a white'ish coating. Anyone have a clue what that is all about....?????
You might want to show that to the dealer. It might be the catalytic converter going bad. That is just a guess but I think looking into. JMHO
RogerB

·
Registered
345 Posts
Could be, all I know is that I noticed this white'ish colour on the inside of the pipe long ago. And when I do long highway runs, hours on end then it gets even more white. Darkens some with city driving to a dark grey. Other muffler always looks the same...not matter what.

·
Vendor
18,595 Posts
If your milage is that low, then you probably have an exhaust leak. There are 3 exhaust donuts (gaskets as the book calls them) with clamps. 1 at the front of each muffler and 1 behind the center stand at a cross over pipe. Check all three. Probably the cross over one needs tighting. All 6 bolts (2 on each clamp) should be torqued to 20ft/lbs.

·
Registered
17,124 Posts
Greg, when any of those round crush gaskets leak; the resulting sound I notice is similar to a hard knock like a rod bearing going out. Have not heard a loose one a GL though, but have on a Valk. I've heard old cars make that sound too when the connection between the exhaust manifold and pipe is not sealed tight.

That white dust the fellow notes may be from the cat and may be toxic.

prs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts