GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my CB, Radar Detector and GPS (using Kennedy components) on the '08 GL1800 without factory NAV and all components work fine individually and I can use the GPS,CB and intercom at the same time. However, I cannot figure out how to use the AM/FM radio and hear the aux. devices at the same time. I called myself reading the manual but must have missed something. Help, please!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I am new to mine and just ordered headsets. I was under the impression that you could use the intercom and radio at the same time. I thought when you talk it muted the radio.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
That is correct, you can, and it does..

Ben was thinking that you could use the radio, and the AUX Input at the same time. That you can't

·
Registered
20,024 Posts
There is a bit of confusion here over the term auxiliary. Ben used the term aux. devices, but that doesn't mean he is using the auxiliary input. The Kennedy setup ties directly into the intercom system, not the auxiliary input.

You can listen to your radio with the Kennedy. That is the primary advantage to buying it.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a bit of confusion here over the term auxiliary. Ben used the term aux. devices, but that doesn't mean he is using the auxiliary input. The Kennedy setup ties directly into the intercom system, not the auxiliary input.

You can listen to your radio with the Kennedy. That is the primary advantage to buying it.
It's probably my fault but we are getting far afield. I posted the question of whether or not I could receive voice prompts from my GPS and audio signals from my radar detector while listening to the Honda AM/FM/WB radio. Apparently this isn't possible with the Kennedy set-up.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
It's probably my fault but we are getting far afield. I posted the question of whether or not I could receive voice prompts from my GPS and audio signals from my radar detector while listening to the Honda AM/FM/WB radio. Apparently this isn't possible with the Kennedy set-up.
I use the Kennedy 'Single Set' with my GPS and can listen to one of the following, AM, FM, WB or an Aux device and receive voice promps from my GPS. I think to use a GPS and radar detector I would have needed the 'Dual Set'.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use the Kennedy 'Single Set' with my GPS and can listen to one of the following, AM, FM, WB or an Aux device and receive voice promps from my GPS. I think to use a GPS and radar detector I would have needed the 'Dual Set'.
Interesting. I had given up on being able to receive radar warnings and GPS voice prompts while listening to the radio. The way mine is configured, I can listen to the Honda radio and receive/send CB; or I can use the CB and hear the GPS and the radar detector. Back to study hall, I guess.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Interesting. I had given up on being able to receive radar warnings and GPS voice prompts while listening to the radio. The way mine is configured, I can listen to the Honda radio and receive/send CB; or I can use the CB and hear the GPS and the radar detector. Back to study hall, I guess.

I just finished installing the Kennedy set up on my 08 today. I think you are missing a component that allows you to do what you want to do. It is the Aux switch (close to that). It gives you the ability to change your added devices between Auxillary and Intercom. So, if you want to listen to the radio but want to hear your GPS alerts, you switch to intercom and have your GPS running through the intercom and your FM radio playing normally.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just finished installing the Kennedy set up on my 08 today. I think you are missing a component that allows you to do what you want to do. It is the Aux switch (close to that). It gives you the ability to change your added devices between Auxillary and Intercom. So, if you want to listen to the radio but want to hear your GPS alerts, you switch to intercom and have your GPS running through the intercom and your FM radio playing normally.
Thanks. I will have to look into that. I am using the Kennedy AuxSwitch AD control unit.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
What a confusing thread...

Ben, your original question was 'I cannot figure out how to use the AM/FM radio and hear the aux. devices at the same time' and Bartman was correct - you can only listen to one source of music at one time, but your use of 'aux devices' was unclear and took the thread off-track.

You can overlay the CB audio (which mutes everything else when the squelch breaks) or the intercom system (which will mute the audio when the voice level detected on the microphone input exceeds the threshold of the 'intercom mute' setting) on top of any music input.

You then clarified your question to be 'whether or not I could receive voice prompts from my GPS and audio signals from my radar detector while listening to the Honda AM/FM/WB radio'. This is a different question altogether. The only way to connect these devices so that they can override the AM/FM/WB radio input is to connect them to the intercom system. Since this is a mono, low-fidelity input, this is only appropriate for voice-style GPS, not one that you intend to use for music output as well. If you want to have your GPS and your RD override the AM/FM radio, you'll need to use the Kennedy DualSet module and ride with the intercom on to hear the alerts.

You also mention that you have purchased the Kennedy AuxSwitchSet system. This is used to share the AUX input with two stereo input devices (typically a MP3 player and a satellite radio). This is not the device to use if you want to also incorporate voice or alert inputs like a RD or GPS.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What a confusing thread...

Ben, your original question was 'I cannot figure out how to use the AM/FM radio and hear the aux. devices at the same time' and Bartman was correct - you can only listen to one source of music at one time, but your use of 'aux devices' was unclear and took the thread off-track.

You can overlay the CB audio (which mutes everything else when the squelch breaks) or the intercom system (which will mute the audio when the voice level detected on the microphone input exceeds the threshold of the 'intercom mute' setting) on top of any music input.

You then clarified your question to be 'whether or not I could receive voice prompts from my GPS and audio signals from my radar detector while listening to the Honda AM/FM/WB radio'. This is a different question altogether. The only way to connect these devices so that they can override the AM/FM/WB radio input is to connect them to the intercom system. Since this is a mono, low-fidelity input, this is only appropriate for voice-style GPS, not one that you intend to use for music output as well. If you want to have your GPS and your RD override the AM/FM radio, you'll need to use the Kennedy DualSet module and ride with the intercom on to hear the alerts.

You also mention that you have purchased the Kennedy AuxSwitchSet system. This is used to share the AUX input with two stereo input devices (typically a MP3 player and a satellite radio). This is not the device to use if you want to also incorporate voice or alert inputs like a RD or GPS.
Hi Jon,
Thanks for popping in. Though I'm sure that I am responsible for all the confusion, it's deeper than one might think, and began between the two of us! I bought the AuxSwitch Set and the ZUMO wiring from you. I'm sure I didn't adequately explain to you what I was trying to accomplish in the beginning. As I recall, I initiall told you that I wanted to be able to receive voice prompts and use my CB (that I would install at the same time) through my headset; and that you told me that the unit would allow me to later connect a radar detector and receive signals through the headset. It never dawned on me to mention that I wanted to receive these prompts while listening to my AM/FM/WB radio through the headsets. After receiving the parts from you, I decided that I would like to connect my V-1 detector. I bought the cables for the V-1 elsewhere because the other company offered a mounting bracket that I liked. Oh well, we all live and learn, huh? Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
That's funny - if you want to drop back to square one and start over to get exactly what you want from all of your pieces, just let me know.

I'll do what I can to clarify the confusion and get you the parts that you need...

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's funny - if you want to drop back to square one and start over to get exactly what you want from all of your pieces, just let me know.

I'll do what I can to clarify the confusion and get you the parts that you need...
Thanks Jon. I will probably do so at some point. You are a good man and most helpful to those who are smart enough to ask the right questions.
Ben

·
Registered
20,024 Posts
I think I added to the confusion. I should have asked which Kennedy setup he bought, and assumed we were talking about the DualSet. I forgot that Kennedy made the Aux Switch Set.

I wish Kennedy used actual model number for the various systems, instead of the convoluted names they are given. I'm sure the names make sense to Kennedy, but to customers, it just adds to the confusion.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
I wish Kennedy used actual model number for the various systems, instead of the convoluted names they are given. I'm sure the names make sense to Kennedy, but to customers, it just adds to the confusion.
Larry,
I bet this guy would be a place to start. He just posted a new adapter.
jjambor on this board.

Jon Jambor
Kennedy Technology Group
614 Ridgeway Rd., Rose Hill KS 67133
316-776-1111 - vox, 316-776-9035 - fax
800-287-7033 - orders (US only)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts